Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for motivating friends and Keto-ers!

Hi guys!!!

I just got my fitbit, and I have been using MFP for a while, and having friends is always a great motivation to keep going and supporting each other!!

I am mostly looking for Keto dieters, since I love exchanging recipes and tricks! But it doesn't matter, anyone is more than welcome to be friends ❤️

I have been on keto for almost a month and I am loving the results. I have dropped almost 10 lbs and I still have 25lbs to go 😄

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

@TraceySD wrote:

I got the Flex in September 15, and have gained about 10 pounds even though I average about 6 miles per day.

First of all, you have to take "miles" reported by your Flex with a grain of salt: with a Flex, miles are just the detected number of steps (which may not be "real" steps) multiplied by the stride length entered in your profile. Brisk walking is about 4 miles per hour, so in order to get 6 actual miles from dedicated walking, you would need to walk for 1.5 hours. That in turn would translate in a step count well above 10,000.  The average step count suggested by your profile (last 30 days), OTOH, is smaller than that:

traceysd.png

Anyway, getting more active is good, but this alone won’t automatically cause you to lose weight: in order to lose weight, you need to eat less than you expend (calories in vs. calories out). Whether you achieve that via a ketogenic diet or any other style of eating is up to you.

Have a look at @SebringDon’s excellent Fitbit’s Food Plan Demystified series of post if you need guidance on how to best use Fitbit to achieve your goal.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Ack - former Keto, Primal, Paleo, you name it, I hear ya! Have you seen the Fitbit Facebook Group?
Debbie
Best Answer
I am concerned about "starving." At first I was maintaining a good balance then all the sudden my calorie burn is shooting up but it seems like I can't keep up with the calories in on the lchp diet. The weight seems to be literally melting off but I am doing so much weight training to get stronger and not just do cardio. What am I doing wrong? Doctor doesn't think anything of it when I told her and kinda blew me off as if it wasn't important as just losing the weight. Just doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Fyi.....example. yesterday burned almost 3000 calories but only ate 800ish. I can't seem to finish my portions, because I am full.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Are you eating enough fat? Very important & an easy way to get more
calories (cook or drizzle foods in oil, olives, nuts in moderation). I'm
not keto anymore & follow more of a Whole30 lifestyle now, but fat makes up
more than 50% of my calorie intake.
Best Answer

Eating enough depends on your current body composition.

If you are at your optimal weight, you need to eat more calories.

But if you are overweight by say 30 to 50 lbs. You don’t need to worry about eating enough calories every day. The reason behind this is, that once you are in a keto adaptive state your body will readily burn its fat stores for the energy that it needs. So if you have just 30 lbs of extra fat on your body that would be 3600 Calories times 30. Which is 108,000 Calories that it can use as fuel.

Once you are at your optimal weight, you will be hungry.

Best Answer

@Keto_James  Well-stated.

I remember a sense of 'whatthe-' when my appetite perished about a month into keto.

My advisor reminded me that I had 'millions in the bank' that I was finally spending..relax about the minimum-wage income.

Now I LOVE it when I have zero appetite..one of the best markers that all is well  🙂

@Dnoyes If heavy-lifting is happening, mind your protein tho!  Get enough.  R

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
I am actually doing a lot of the total gym workouts, squats, and various about stuff precisely to build more muscle than my fat. So since I don't eat a lot of meat right now, (undergoing a lot of dental work and can only eat soft foods till September), I am doing a lean protein powder instead but it only has 150 calories. 25 protein. Just don't want to do any damage or go backwards when I am feeling so good and strong!

The me to balances numbers I have been researching are so different from various sources. What percentages does one aim for everyday?
Best Answer
And thank you all for your input and trying to help....you rock!
Best Answer

The me to balances numbers I have been researching are so different from various sources. What percentages does one aim for everyday?

@Dnoyes  I don't track like I used to, but .8g protein per kg bodyweight is minimum per day by the book...you might bump a bit. In pounds maybe .5g per pound as a guide on lift days. You want enough, but remember excess will basically burn as a carb (.56 x excess protein= net carb equivalent). Net carbs are always sub-30 for me, but some cycle higher carbs on lift days to boost insulin repair of stressed muscle.

Science is imprecise....let's suggest half your weight (pounds) for protein grams should be plenty for lifting days..a little less on rest days. (I actually fast on rest days but that is a different consideration)

All the best, and keep on rocking 🙂  Rob

PS Here's a great resource if u don't have it already:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
Awesome! Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes
That is a perfect article and I love the math equation! Perfect for me! And the graphs are awesome too!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi there!
I'm new to Keto, I've been in it for about 2 weeks and have lost 6.0 lbs! Granted it's more likely to be water weight, I love that I have a ton of energy all the time and am going to continue!
My only qualm is that I seem to have hit a plateau?? I'm not sure if it's due to my macros being off or my dairy intake..
Best Answer
0 Votes

@jbz16 wrote:
My only qualm is that I seem to have hit a plateau??

A plateau after only two weeks? I think you answered the question yourself: the weight loss you saw is what normally happens when people switch to a low carb diet (or drop carbs altogether), what they lose is water weight (which will be regained if/when they start to eat carbs again). Regardless of the type of diet you decide to adopt, you still need a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. You will probably experience a plateau  after being in a deficit for some time, but it should take longer than two weeks for it to happen. Do you log your intake and have you established you were in a deficit when starting your keto diet? Keto in itself won’t do magic, like allow you to consistently drop weight while eating at maintenance. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you for your response Dominique.

I do completely understand that, and agree.  My initial progress was most likely to be attributed to the change.  Granted I probably need to have some more patience to let it do it's thing.  I constantly have a deficit daily, and am very very diligent about logging.  My intake rarely ever exceeds my actual output of calories - and I am close to spot on for my macros that many Keto calculators have given me.  Over the last 1 week I had a calorie deficit of -2500 calories yet I seemed to gain 3-5 lbs over that time... I am also very good with my water intake especially when I have exercised.

Maybe premature concerns, but I just wanted to poke some brains in advance as to what could be the problem!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been doing a lot of ready and both websites for the keto diet blog and Dr Hyman both suggest making sure there is also mineral deficiencies inhibiting progress. They recommend e-lyte and magnesium castrate as additional supplements along with
Best Answer
0 Votes
MCT oil

See
Ketodietapp.com/recommeded then supplements
drhyman.com/blog/tag/supplements
Best Answer
0 Votes
Correction: magnesium citrate
Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to eat 3-4 brazil nuts every day for minerals. They contain magnesium, manganese, phosphours selenim, copper, iron, potassium and zinc. I do this instead of taking supplement pills.  I also have a mineral drink once or twice a week. It is made by Emergen-C It is called Electro Mix.  It has zero carbs.

Best Answer

If you recently started weight training, and have sore muscles the next day. IE, it hurts to move the muscle you worked out or your muscles are tender to the touch. Your body will retain water to help flush out the lactic acid. I know that I can retain around 3 pounds of extra weight for about 3 days when I have overdone a muscle group in the gym. Especially legs

Best Answer
0 Votes