Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low carb

Who is living the low carb lifestyle?

I just got my fit it- flex and am hoping to track and motivate myself.

I successfully dropped 30 lbs following a low carb (Adkins/ Idiot proof diet/ Paleo thinking) and need to add exercise into the mix to drop the next 30-45.

Looking for friends and helpful hints to continue to journey. 🙂
Best Answer
65 REPLIES 65

I have been doing Jorge Cruises', "The 100."  I 've been pretty successful on it; down 55 pounds.  I would like to lose 20 more.  I've hit a little bit of a plateau; I'll have to increase my exercise to push through it.

Best Answer

low carb, high fat since june 2013.  lost 98lbs so far and am 10 pounds from my target.  i'm doing any particular plan, just keeping my carbs to under 30g per day.  feel free to add me.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

Low carb high fat for me.

I've fallen off lately, due to stress of moving, but I'm hoping to get back on track.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Fitbit dashboard let you track net carbs instead of stupid calories?

Best Answer

snacks---olives, cheese, cheese crisps, pepperoni crisps, boiled eggs, nuts

meal ideas---

use low carb/no carb lunchmeat as the base of a wrap. Layer lunchmeat in a row or 2 rows depending on how narrow, add cheese, veggies, pickles/olives. Roll and eat or wrap up in foil for later.

salads with lots of goodies--veggies/meats/cheese/eggs/nuts/sunflower seeds (make your own dressing or find a low carb one) (my boss actually eats a salad with strawberries and nuts with a vinegrette)

skillet pizza -- add hamburger meat to warm skillet, add in a couple spoons of pizza sauce, add rest of toppings, then cheese. Let sit and sizzle for a little bit. Until edges look a little crispy. (no crust!)

pan seared chicken / hamburgers wrapped in lettuce / low carb taco soup (several versions, just google)

Tons of recipes out there. Just google low carb recipes.

Best of luck!

Fitbit Flex (naked without it!)
Personal best (so far) over 9,000 steps.
Good days: 7,000 to 8,000 steps/day.
Best Answer

Yup, I'm a low-carber. I had previously (many years ago) followed Atkins and lost MANY pounds. I honestly don't remember why I dropped off of a low carb diet. At any rate, I recently decided to go low carb again. This time, however, I am avoiding all artificial sweeteners and most processed foods. This plan certainly makes sticking to a low carb plan very interesting...

I am using protein drinks - Grass-Fed Whey and RAW Protein Powder are the two that I use.

My current carb limit - net carbs, that is - is 50g per day. Also, in a pinch, I am using Quest bars - but only those that don't have sucralose in them. Otherwise, I am sticking to real foods that are low in carbs (except fiber - that I try to keep up around 30-40g per day).

As of my most recent weigh-in - which I do on Sunday - was 201 lbs. I'm pretty pleased with that!

Best Answer

My biggest difference now, versus when I tried Atkins in the past, is that I now avoid grains like poison. The book, "Wheat Belly," really opened my eyes.

Best Answer

Good luck getting back on track. 

YES!  I want to track carbs also.

Best Answer

I've done atkins and failed.  I've tried south beach and failed too.   I did lose weight on low carb and I know it works, but I just can't stick with it long term.   Now I am doing something called carb-cycling.  I do 3 low carb days a week  and lose pretty well.  I still have trouble with the low carb as I just don't feel good without carbs in my diet.  It helps me get through a low carb day knowing that I can have them the next day.

Best Answer

I sort of do a hybrid carb-cycling program too, PattyJo, although nothing really formal.

My biggest thing is that I don't eat wheat, period, after reading the book "Wheat Belly". You can Google it and find it on Amazon, etc. I occasionally eat carbs like potatoes and even sugar, but generally try to avoid them.

I think that keeps the lifestyle interesting, since I refuse to call it a diet.  🙂

Best Answer

@PattyJo wrote:

I've done atkins and failed.  I've tried south beach and failed too.   I did lose weight on low carb and I know it works, but I just can't stick with it long term.   Now I am doing something called carb-cycling.  I do 3 low carb days a week  and lose pretty well.  I still have trouble with the low carb as I just don't feel good without carbs in my diet.  It helps me get through a low carb day knowing that I can have them the next day.

You can go lower carb and get a lot of the benefits of low carb, but not lose energy.  I've been diabetic for 15 years, and one of the first things I had to do was cut way back on carbohydrates to keep my glucose at a good level.  Like you, I found that an extremely low carb diet was not only hard to maintain, it was draining.  But it's much easier to cut your carb intake to around 110-130 grams a day.  No diet can be considered truly successful if you can't maintain it over a long period of time.  No matter how well it works short term, if it doesn't become a lifestyle change, the weight just comes back.  Find something that you can live with through thick and thin.

Best Answer

I have also done a low carb plan and reached my goal weight loss of 30 lbs 5 months ago. My plan was low carb, low fat, no sugar or processed foods.  Good, complex carbs, dairy and fruits got gradually added back in after you reach your goal weight.  Now, I am trying to maintain and also get more fit and strong, hence the fitbit purchase. I am trying to figure out how much carbs are ok for me and what kind.  I have read a bit about wheat being a problem, so I try to avoid that mostly, unless it is sprouted wheat. Quinoa is a great food to have in place of pasta or rice (it is actually a seed) and is very versatile in many recipes. It is high in protein, fibre and many nutrients.  I used to be a carb addict and could have lived on pasta and bread. Now, I find I crave protein more often than carbs.  And I will never go back to all those foods that are full of hidden sugar. Does anyone have any ideas to keep the carbs lower for maintanance, but still get all the nutrients you need in your diet? I have used supplements throughout to be sure I'm not deficient in anything, but would like to get it from real food now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My goal is to avoid as much sugar as possible, and eat lower carb as a rule.

Started with a Flex. Now have ChargeHR.
Contact Customer Support

Best Answer
There is a three part podcast series that the guys on the Security Now show did under the umbrella title of The Sugar Hill.
It's a computer security site but they occasionally do other stuff too.
Steve Gibson, one of the hosts, goes DEEP into low carb, and explains why you might feel cruddy for a while when starting low carb (its the ketones stupid) and how it will pass and you'll feel great.
I went through exactly what they said and have come out feeling better than I have in years and over 240lbs lighter.
Best Answer
Oh, you can find the shows at www.twit.tv/securitynow and searching for' sugar hill'
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have only just come across the low carb high fat over the last week, I have been looking for the movie cereal killers bit I can't find it. Anyway I have been watching loads of lectures, listening to loads of podcasts. I have been doing it fully for the past 3 days and am not hungry T ll. I have a few headaches though which is wierd and to be expected I believe. The consesnus of all these is that you shouldnt do low carb without the high fat as thats where people fail. So here goes and if you have any tips please feel free to throw them my way ! Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just started LCHF this last week. Its good , but its so funny eating fat when we have been told not to . But after watching all the lectures and listening to the podcasts , I like the science behind it. Bit headachy, over these first few days , keeping up my fluids and hoping it will pass soon, but not hungry so its great !

Best Answer

Yes I have only started doing this fully over the past few days , I have been feeling very headachy which is unusual for me but after watching all the lectures I am not going back at all ! DO you have a favourite recipe ?

Best Answer
Great posts! Keep them coming!

I am now down 50# and 16 months on the eating plan which has become a lifestyle now. I would say the biggest difference is when I have any carbs, or eat a sandwich, or "cheat", my body burns right through it and we move on! I was not as strict through the summer and still dropped 10, the kicked back into phase 1 for a jump start and unconsciously merged into owl and dropped another 10-15.

I do a pure protien shake in am. #1- I eat something which is an improvement. Sell at Walmart/target, I now have auto delivery at Amazon.

I have Starbucks bold w/ heavy cream & 3 splenda everyday.

I have roasted almonds in my desk drawer & drink 1-2 liters of h2o during the day.

Dinner I focus on meat (beef, chicken, fish) and veggies. Usually w/ butter. We use a lot of alerts garlic and parsley salt which is not super high sodium,

I found Eddys slow churn no sugar added icecream. Yum

I am now back into my jeans 3 sizes smaller!!! Currently kickin on a ski slope so hope it motivates me to continue daily exercise and shred the last 25. That puts me college weight/ pre pregnancy weight and I'm good w/ that.

I feel soooo much better and did within a week of getting the sugar out of my system. Mentally happy. The weight then removed itself. Sometimes no sign on scale, but clothes and compliments were getting bigger!!! Lol

Happy 2015 peeps! Make it your year!!!

I love snapple half and half diet tea. When water won't do...

I eat salad bar at school lunch everyday with all veggies. I add any I breaded protien the days it's offered.

Best Answer