Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May Mania 2017 Step Goal Challenge

ANSWERED

How It Works:

The purpose of this challenge is to keep track of your daily step goals for May 2017. This is not a competition to see who can do the most amount of steps, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency . So whether you do 100,1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of 31 for the month can you hit your goal.

Some of you might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and some might have a variable goal throughout the week, for example.

Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day

Sat & Sun = 6k steps a day

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for this challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format

1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.

2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Optional

3) Post either your constant or variable calories burned goal.

4) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

5) Post either your constant or variable (anything you want) goal.

6) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved / 31.

Injury Notice

If you injure yourself during the month and decide scale back the number of steps due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your daily step goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So, I'm changing up my goals for May.  I'm lowering my step goal and starting a low intensity strength training program (6 days a week) that will allow me to spend more time in the garden as the weather gets better.  I'll also swim most days, but that's often weather dependent so I'm not going to track it this month.  June I might settle on a number of laps, but not this month.

1) 10,000 steps a day

2) 27 days strength training (6 days on, 1 day off)

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

So, I'm changing up my goals for May.  I'm lowering my step goal and starting a low intensity strength training program (6 days a week) that will allow me to spend more time in the garden as the weather gets better.  I'll also swim most days, but that's often weather dependent so I'm not going to track it this month.  June I might settle on a number of laps, but not this month.

1) 10,000 steps a day

Best Answer

Setting goals out of 30 days?

Are you allowing us all a day off during May? 😉

I'll aim for 10,000 steps/day. 

And running 50 miles during the month. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

@Dave001- nope, fixed it.  You may choose not to aim for 31 days of a specific goal, but we're not leaving a day out to make it easier.  Woman Tongue

Best Answer

The monthly challenge motivates me more and more to be on track. I am definitely in for this month. Sadly, I am not competing for my 1/2 this month as there is some schedule conflict on that day. Of course, family comes first. So in the same race, I am doing 10 k. But still I want to finish my training strong. So I am increasing my steps to 12 k and keep doing yoga and low intensity strength training. 

Simple goal: 12 k steps. 

Good Luck guys! Thanks to @A_Lurker for bringing us together for this challenge. 

Best Answer

Hey all!

So, I crashed and burned significantly in late April, for a number of reasons. May is a new month, and I'm doing this!

Dropping my step goal down to a more manageable 12.5k and trying to keep up with my Couch to 5k program. So:

Steps: 12,500

Running: 14/31 (M-W-F)

Good luck, everybody!

Best Answer

1) 10K a day

2) 30 minutes of continuous cardio (walking/running/cross training)

Best Answer

And another month here we come.

10,000 Steps

4k Burn

16 lifting days

31 Nutrition Days - A serving of (Veggies & Fruits & Fiber & Nuts) & Water Goal Met for the day

31 Daily Check-ins -  (A daily check-in is the posting of stats max 24 hours after the day has occured. So whatever steps/burn/lifting I do for Monday, I have until the end of Tuesday to post Monday's stats. If I post Monday's stats on Wednesday it doesn't count. For me higher consistency = better results.

Good luck everyone, lets do this.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Count me in!

Steps 10 k, floors 30, miles 5

Best Answer

1) 10,000 steps per day

2) at least 30 "active minutes" per day

I had to do some extra running around this evening as for some reason Fitbit snatched back some of my calories.. Oh NO! LOL   I mean, I really do not understand what is going on, I'm at the same number of steps, I did more cardio and yet somehow I burned 400 calories less so far than I have on any other day since I got my Fitbit. I'm glad I was running too late to eat breakfast this morning or I would be in serious trouble playing catch-up this evening. I'm really going to miss my evening snacks. Oh well, if this is the new normal I will be upping my step goal to 12,000 next month to see if that compensates. 

Best Answer

@almost_where   was the original challenge starter, I just started the last few... eager to get going I suppose.   Woman Happy

@JenniferinFL- there can be a big difference in calories burned with the same number of steps.  It's been a while since I compared them but I think the last time I did it could be almost 20% difference.  For myself with a heart rate tracker I'm assuming that I do some really fast with a high heart rate but others really slow with a lower heart rate.

The concept of getting up and moving around more often can burn more calories than a single trip to the gym followed by an evening of couch surfing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

1) 10,000 steps a day

1) 1/31

2) 1/27

Best Answer

I just cannot justify a gym membership right now, so most of my steps are the "getting up and moving around" variety. I jog in place for as long as I can trying to stay in the cardio zone and then walk around my livingroom/kitchen. 

I am kinda curious about what happened today. My day was somewhat different from usual in that I had a doctor appointment right in the middle of the day, but, my steps were still pretty much right where they usually are for the time of day. I'm hoping it was just a one day thing and I'll be back to my regular calorie burn tomorrow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Completed my goal steps for today and an hour of yoga. 

12 K Steps: 1/31

Best Answer

10k Step Goal: 1 for 1 out of 31

04k Burn Goal: 0 for 1 out of 31

Lift Day Goal: 1 out of 16 days.

Nutritio Goal: 1 out of 31 days

Daily Checkin: 1 out of 31 days

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

So far, so good!

12.5k steps: 1/31

Running: 1/14 (2.2 miles, which is a lot for me these days!)

Best Answer

I'm in:

Steps: 20K/day for 25 days

Lifting: 14 days (may update this one - still working on my plan for the month)

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Baltoscott wrote:

I'm in:

Steps: 20K/day for 25 days

Lifting: 14 days (may update this one - still working on my plan for the month)

1/25

1/14

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I'm late in joining (by two days?). 

I have an 'overuse injury' to my knee but I can get in 8-10k steps per day as long as they aren't too strenuous. So, let's go with:

8k  /day

1/31 so far. I'll amend that later today. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

@Dave001 wrote:

I'll aim for 10,000 steps/day. 

And running 50 miles during the month. 

Day Two:

10,000 Steps: 2/31

50 miles of running: 4.7/50

I've got a few days off this week, so I've been getting some much needed extra walking in (mens sana in corpore sano). I broke my highest daily record today. New record is 35,427! I don't mind admitting that I'm delighted.

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer