Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

@em.kz  

Hi Good to learn that you are headed for the 15 lb. loss in your 1st year.

Welcome back,

Barbara G 

Best Answer

Hi!
I'm 99% sure I made a post in this thread earlier to join the challenge and I get notifications from it, but my post seems to have disappeared.
Can anyone maybe explain what happened cause I'm thoroughly confused? (Am I crazy?)

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

USW= 235; BMI= 46 (Christmas 2016)

CSW= 212.2; BMI= 41 (April 18, 2017)

PW=

CW=  

GW= 205

UGW= 125

Total lost this week = 
Total lost since April 18 =

Total lost since Christmas 2016 = 22.8

38/F/5'0"

My average loss during the last challenge was 1.2 lbs per week, so I'm conservatively making a goal of 205 by May 29. However, in my head, I'm crossing my fingers, and working toward a goal of 199.9. I would love to be out of the 200's before June. That's over 2 lbs per week though, so I don't know if that's realistic for me. 

I'm increasing my step goal from 12,000 to 13,500 and plan to increase to 15,000 in a few weeks. I'm also going to add strength training 2x per week to start with. I said I would do that a while back, but I never followed through. That's one of my goals this challenge. I'm also going to continue cutting back on breads/ pasta/ rice/ white potatoes/ desserts. 1-2 days per week, I'm going to go as low carb as I can. (I know it won't be completely no carbs, but very low.)  I've noticed an increased weight loss since I started doing this, not just counting calories, but focusing on carbs. I'm not worried about the carbs in fresh fruits, beans, or other healthy foods. I'm only cutting back on carbs with little nutritional value but high in calories. 

I'm looking forward to continuing the weight loss journey with familiar folks and getting to know the new folks! Good luck to everyone!

Best Answer

@ThatGreen

This community board is sometimes set on too strict a diet and then binges on one of our posts. It happened to me once or twice too. Just post it again 🙂 .

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Easter Day Weight - 249

Sunday1 - (4/23) 248 Target |
  Sunday2 - (4/30) 247 Target | 
  Sunday3 - (5/07) 246 Target | 
  Sunday4 - (5/14) 245 Target | 
  Sunday5 - (5/21) 244 Target | 
  Sunday6 - (5/28) 243 Target | 

Memorial Day Goal - 242

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

HI, I'm in and will try and do better on this Challenge!  ended up loosing ground the last month Smiley Sad

BUT! I've been starting to get my steps in,  and the last 2 days have met most of my other daily goals.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight  196.6

CW:  158

CGW: 150

UGW  143  (and maintain!!! 142-146 range)

"Everything is a gift of the universe--even joy, anger, jealously, frustration, or separateness. Everything is perfect either for our growth or our enjoyment." Ken Keyes Jr.

Best Answer

It is a new day and praise the Lord it closer to Friday then it was yesterday. It is barely 9:30 am and work has already gotten the best of me. Our corporation has come in and done some changes and shew I hate change unless it is my weight going down. ..lol.

I am posting to just be posting. I really need to come here daily and read and post something to keep me in line. SO here I am. I did not get al my steps last night, but was only shy about 200, so I still count it as good. This is my "TMI" week, so I don't anticipate too many steps for the next couple days, but will pray it hurries and gets over with so I can get back to more normal. On a good note at least it will be over before my Dr appointment next Tuesday..lol.

I guess it is off to get this crazy day going in a different direction.

I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

I'm in.  Maybe this time I can stick with it more. Kind of lost momentum toward the end cause of personal things going on.  But it did teach me something.  If I don't walk my 12 to 14K steps, if I don't count my calorie intake and not go over that number,  if I choose non-healthy instead of healthy food and drink soda, I don't drink my water, it only takes a week and a half to start putting the weight back on. And with a vengeance I might add.Cat Frustrated  So now that I tested everything on myself I know what I have to do to lose and maintain my weight.  It maybe the hard way to learn but at least I know what works for me now and what I can and cannot do. 

USW -  172

SW - 167.2  (I did get down to 165 but then when you quit doing things, up it goes quick)

CW - 167.2

GW - 160 (old age sure makes it harder to get to the weight off) Cat Frustrated

UGW - 138-140 (two years from now for my daughter's wedding, unless she elopes first) Cat LOL

Height - 5"5", Age-57 in 4 days, BMI-have no idea what it is but know it is not good.

To all those that achieved their goal by April 18th, GREAT JOB AND CONGRATS! Cat Very Happy  And a GREAT JOB TO EVERYONE Cat Very Happywho was working toward their goal. Every little bit of hard work or weight loss counts so you should still feel good and proud of yourself for achieving what you did.

As Joyce Meyer would say: " I'm not where I need to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be". 

Everyone have an awesome Wednesday. The weekend is just around the corner. 

Best Answer

I'm in again too

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

LCSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 210.8

LW-

CW- 210.8

GW- 205.0 (Memorial Day)

UGW- 150

@_Lilac_- Thanks for the virtual tea!

Best Answer
@dancefoxtrot that is a good idea. I don't have any near by where I am at
and I couldn't do that to my fiance. The cake will probably stay there til
I deem it no longer good (I am not a cake eater) and the candy was mainly
for him to begin with and not chocolate (so not too bad for me except the
M&M peanuts which I will admit to munching on haha). They technically got
me fruit for Easter (we share a basket from his parents) and I have been
enjoying that. 🙂

It is almost halfway through the day today and it appears I got almost half
my steps for the day (it has been about a quarter of it lately) so I count
that as a small victory. Another small victory was getting my fiance to
walk with me last night! Only about a mile but it is progress for him to
take a walk during the weekday. I didn't get him to get up early and take a
short walk this morning which is fine, I ended up working on my blogilates
calendar.

@Ava_ I totally agree as well. My pitfalls are always changing so it is
just something hard to keep up with haha. 🙂

Weight is up a little today, lack of steps and exercise plus I let my
fiance cook dinner last night which was an attempt in him making chicken
fried rice (he is very heavy handed in the soy sauce). It was good but it
wasn't the healthiest version of chicken, stirfry veggies and rice.

USW - 207 lbs/ BMI 35.7 (May 2016)

SW - 152.6 lbs (4/18/17)

CW - 153.2 (4/19/17)

GW - 145 lbs

UGW - 120 - 135 lbs

Height - 5'3"

Age - 25

BMI - 27.3

--
Kari M. Landis
Best Answer

@waiting2fli congrats on the wedding, I bet you are excited!

I am also using a wedding for extra incentive (other than just wanting to be healthy) but I still have some time.

Best Answer

@klan7044 Yes, definitely excited!  My fiance and I have been together for 11 years, so we're not making too big a deal out of it.  Just keeping it simple with some friends and immediate family in one of our favorite bars.  

But, I'm currently not quite comfortable with my current weight, so I figure using that incentive of those pictures will help me move the scale in the right direction again!  

Best Answer

So, I took my first ever spin class this morning.  I was dreading it, but I didn't struggle as much as I thought I would!  I've taken a few months off from the gym, but I guess my cardiovascular health is better than I thought!  And, it was also kind of fun.  

Looking forward to incorporating more spin classes into my weekly routine in the future.  

Best Answer

@waiting2fli

Just don't let it ruin your day when you feel the scale is not right where you want it to be by the time you have your wedding! You two clearly love each other and you are on the right path, which both are more important than the number on the scale on the day itself.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Tybokitty - I agree with all you said above in post#28 - unless I log and meet all my targets, not to mention the healthy option over the less than healthy...up creeps that scale and down falls my motivation.

I made a conscious effort to meet all my targets yesterday as day#1 of the new challenge and managed it with a little help from the treadmill at the end of the day.

Today I had a little set-back in the form of some cruel/well-meaning colleague bringing a huge array of goodies into the office.  I managed to seriously limit myself but couldn't resist entirely.  Will compensate this evening with super healthy dinner.  I am having oven grilled fresh vegetables in a herb dressing.

@GettingfitinSC - I also find that my weight really reacts (in a good way) when I reduce my bad carb intake.  I am vegetarian so cutting out carbs too much is not really an option, but the refined carbs are easy to cut back on and they seem to make the most difference to my weight.  I am sure a lot of it is the glycogen/water retention, but I do feel better for it when I have fewer carbs.  I certainly notice on the days when I have a sandwich or bread etc. that my hunger increases.

Best Answer

USW 190  01/15

SW 144 10/16

CW 137

GW 132

My weight has been fluctuating recently because I like to snack, and I have been out of control for a month!!!  It took me about 8 months to lose 50 lbs, and then when my weight started creeping up in Oct, I decided to lose 10 lbs, which put me at 132.  Of course, that didn't last long, and I am not going to gain any more!!! 

Through all of this I have learned that I need to eat in moderation.  I can still eat "stuff" but not overindulge.  When I do that I maintain my weight.  I exercise every day, so that is an added bonus. Working out is finally my #1 priority.  
I have followed this group since it started, but I don't usually "say" much.  I am 62 yrs old, 5'5'' and a BC survivor (11th yr)

Best Answer

Well, I had an appointment at the bank to finalize the estate of my late husband and there's still a delay. It is aggravating and very stressful. After leaving there I went to the pharmacy. I picked up Tylenol 1's for my wisdom teeth because the 3's are making me ill. They are too strong. I found nail polishes on sale (Yay!) and although I was super hungry, I walked down the cookie/chocolate covered nuts aisle on purpose to prove I could and had the dedication to buy nothing. I am willpower!! 

The worst I bought was sugar-free flavoured sparkling water and when I got home I found a can of 'light' vegetable soup in the cupboard, left in there for about a year, I'd think. Carbonated beverages are usually on my taboo list and so is anything canned, especially soup because of the sodium content. But I'm really really needing something quick and easy to eat since my mouth is now pounding and I'm dizzy from lack of food. So, currently I'm slurping soup and going to rest immediately after I finish typing. It's a test. Everything is a test. I will pass it with flying colours! 

Have a great day everyone. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

I have just about survived this work day. Only 40 minutes until time to head home and get ready for church.. YAY!! I am so over this day. I have done good on my eating today and despite feeling crappy, I am up to 6600 of my 10,000 hopeful steps... YAY!

Our upper management decided to make some major changes at work, so this had made this day an emotional one at a time when I am already too emotional. So I am so looking forward to going to church tonight and then just some quiet time laying in the bed after my boy goes to bed. Seems like I do my most thinking when laying in the bed after everyone is asleep.

@GettingfitinSCI am trying to cut a lot of the refined carbs out this week as well. I had cut back last week and seen good results, so this week I am trying to continue this. Carbs will always be a part of my lifestyle, but cutting back will be a big help to my journey!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

My stats are so similar to yours! Except, I'm about 10 years older. Really excited to cut down too!! 

Best Answer

@EsyaThank you so much. I'll repost my stats asap tomorrow.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer