Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

@_Lilac_ @Congratulations on your accomplishment!  You've done an awesome job and I have no doubt that you will reach your goal for this challenge!

Best Answer

Hi @Tybokitty! Never met you before. I've been in this group for over a year, but not very active lately. I agree that it doesn't take much to loose momentum and and with it, the rewords of a work well done. I learned my lesson, too... I hope! 😉

I love your quote of Joyce Meyer. 

Best wishes!

Best Answer

Hi Everyone! 

I started a topic under 'get moving' about ideas for 'beginning strength training at home' with no equipment. If you have any ideas about what works to keep from having too much flab as you lose weight, please post either here or there. 🙂 I'm having trouble getting a plan together and actually doing any workout other than walking. Thanks!

Best Answer

USW- 160 lbs (January 8, 2017)

CSW- 137.2 lbs (04/17/2017 - NORMAL BMI)

GW - 132 lbs

UGW- 127 lbs (Middle of normal BMI range)

LAST 10 POUNDS... Everyone tells me these will be the most difficult pounds to lose, and I can definitely tell the weight loss has slowed to a crawl at this point.  I am continuing to lose weight, which is a good thing for now, but I'm starting to worry about how to make sure I don't lose too much.  Do I wait until I hit the scale goal before I transition to maintenance mode, or should I start that process sooner?  I was always underweight when I was younger, so this is all still relatively new to me...

Sunny - 45 - F - Virginia - Charge 2
Best Answer

Good Morning to all... Today is a new day and we will persevere through it as well. I was so happy to get home last night and just rest. This week drains all my energy, so I love every minute of rest I can squeeze in ...

I did get a small walk in before work this morning, so I **ahem** that as a victory. Hopefully this evening I will get another one in. (I am not a weather watcher) BUT my husband said today was going to be a beautiful day, so I am hoping to get out of the office early enough to have a descent walk this evening. I have a mound of dishes to do and a mound of laundry to do as well, but they can be done after dark..lol.

I got my husband this new "Blackstone" grill/griddle for his birthday and in reading the directions it states you have to "season" it several times before cooking on it, so he was working on that both before and after church last night. So I am assuming it will be grilled something for dinner tonight. He was excited to tell me he can now grill the veggies and especially the onions for the burgers on this new grill. So hopefully this will be an investment in our journey. lol.

One week after this challenge ends, is when I will be going to visit family I haven't seen in many years. So I am excited to work extra hard during this next 6/7 weeks. I go to my family Dr.. this coming Tuesday and I am so hoping to have lost enough for her scale to say I have lost 50 pounds..lol. Here I weigh very first thing in the morning, before food or water.(however I do have clothes on) There it is at the end of the day and I have ate breakfast and lunch and had plenty of water before I get there.... Oh well it will be what it will be, but I am in hopes of it. Things that make you go humm,..lol. Now I will have to start weighing at the end of the day, just to see what I will weigh for that appointment. Funny how things just hit your mind and are probably crazy to the average human, but curious to you...lol.

Anyhoo... lol. I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@TravellingSunnyyou are really kicking but in 2017, congrats. I'm starting to think more and more about maintenance even though I'm still far away from it. Personally, I don't want to be in this all out mode going crazy to hit my final UGW then suddenly I can add all my deficit calories back and life will be grand. I was thinking about breaking it up into stages.

Sample Stage 1 = My current cal in / cal out deficit of 1k while 30lbs away from goal

Sample Stage 2 = cal in / cal out deficit of 750 while 20lbs away from goal.

Sample Stage 3 = cal in / cal out deficit of 500 while 10lbs away from goal.

Sample Stage 4 = cal in / cal out deficit of 250 while 5lbs away from goal.

Sample Stage 5 = cal in = cal out once you reach goal

Its kind of reverse thinking, like each stage will take longer then the previous one to achieve but the transition will be easier. Just my 2 cents, keep up the great work.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

You really can't lose too much unless you're starving yourself, literally.

My experiences have taught me to keep doing what works until I reach the weight I desire. Tapering off towards the end to attempt a soft landing makes no sense in the realm of weight management. I'm also not a fan of setting hard weight goals; during my current weight loss journey I set my sights on 230 lbs, reached it rather quickly and decided on 220 lbs as a stretch goal. I hit that last week and have now decided to see if I can drop to 210 lbs because I find my current strategy rather easy to manage.

However my exit strategy, once I decide I've lost enough weight, is to bump up my consumption in small increments until I can find a number that allows me to maintain. My guess at this point is that it will be around 2,100 calories per day, but I'll know better once I start experimenting.

But my overall point is that you need to figure out your own maintenance numbers, but wait until you get to your goal weight before making that adjustment.

Best Answer

@Bogdel  Nice to meet you! I started late last fall. I loved how everyone doing the challenge was so helpful and supportive.  And they don't even know you but they give every bit of support they can to anybody.   I've learnt a lot from everyone here.  If I didn't have this group of people to read about and to learn from the advice they give, I would probably quit trying.  But that is hard to do when you see others working harder than you are so it makes you want to stick it out.  That is how I learnt what worked for me by trying what others have/had suggested.  I love this group!  I would be lost without them and probably still gaining weight instead of losing.   Have an awesome Thursday.  Tomorrow is Friday, Yay!!! 

Everyone have a great weekend!! Cat Very Happy

Best Answer

@dancefoxtrot@Bobbinyc

I posted my info twice this week, and it disappeared from the forum. The only post I can see is the one where I replied to one of the members of the group. I asked the Fit-bit customer service about it and he said that I need to ask the manager of this challenge to invite me. This was not necessary in the past. Did @Bobbinyc accidentally remove me from the group? Could you, please, invite me in, so I can participate in this group? Thank you!

Ellie

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tybokitty, thanks for your reply. I totally agree. This group has been wonderful to me, too. It helped me loose about 38 lbs during the first part of last year. During the second part I was not as active, and I did not make much progress. In fact, I gained back a few. So, I decided to get back on truck, and focus on reaching, and then maintaining my ideal weight. 

Typically, in the past, I gave myself permission to walk less than 10K/day. This time I want to focus on my steps and reach 10k daily. Yesterday was the first day in this challenge when I reached over 10K. I know that if I don't move, I don't loose weight. 

The other thing that has helped me in the past was logging my food. I started doing that again. Although there are a number of other things that I will do to reach my ideal weight (i.e. healthy diet), I want to focus on to these two daily goals: 10K steps and logging my food. 

Have a great rest of the week!

Ellie

Best Answer

Reposting my stats since the thread ate my old one.

Hi, everyone! This is my first ever challenge of any kind. I always thought they looked so nice and friendly, but I've always been a bit scared of them.

I added freedom units even if I use metric, cause it seems to be used by most people on here.

Female, 175 cm/5'9"

USW: 111 kg/245 lbs (March 2016)
CSW: 95.9 kg/211.4 lbs
UGW: 75 kg/165 lbs puts me at a healthy BMI, so it's a good starting point since I've been overweight most of my life and wouldn't know how life at that weight would be like.

GW: This is where it gets complicated cause I have a lot of milestones coming up that I might manage to reach during this period. However, due to life circumstances, my goals are very flexible. If my body decides it's time to chill, it's time to chill.

- 91.8 kg/202.4 lbs - Would put me at a 29.98 BMI, officially dropping from obese to overweight.
- 91 kg/200.6 lbs - Lowest recorded since I started in March last year and 20 kg down total.

- 90.7 kg/199.9 lbs - Out of the 200's.
- 89.9 kg/198.2 lbs - 80's! Also my next goal line on Fitbit before I revise.

Reaching the 80's is an extremely agressive goal and I would have to do everything right (not to mention my fitbit would have to be spot on with calories burned), but I see a very tiny chance of getting there and reaching for something isn't a bad idea for me, so I decided to put it up.

At the end of the day I'm in it for the long haul and any loss is still a loss and thus a win for meSmiley Very Happy

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

@Bogdel  This happened to my post too. Got this reply on the last page:

@Esya wrote:

@ThatGreen

This community board is sometimes set on too strict a diet and then binges on one of our posts. It happened to me once or twice too. Just post it again 🙂 .

Apparently the board is on a bad binge these days and needs to revise it's diet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tybokitty - your post just made me smile so much. It was so encouraging and just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for sharing so well needed hope and sunshine to the day!

Best Answer

April 20, 2017

USW - 167

SW - 155
CW - 155
GW - 145
UGW - 135-140 

Height - 5'8"

I am looking forward to this challenge! My goal is to eliminate all fast and fried foods completely. 

Best Answer

@ThatGreen, Thanks for your reply. It appears like @Bobbinyc is the only one who's account rejects my posts. So, if you don't mind, I am going to use the reply to your account to post my initial stats. After that, I will be able to reply to my own posts as I update my weekly reports. I hope that's OK. 

Thanks again for your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I have made it through this work day... YAY! I am whooped. However my plan for the evening will hopefully be to run to the grocery store when I leave here. Then head home and start supper. Hopefully Hubby will do homework with the boy while I do that. Then I want to take a walk while it is nice outside and the then it will be in for a start one the mound of laundry and dishes, before a nice hot shower and laying down. Then it will all start over again at 6am..lol.

I hope you all have a blessed evening!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, Everyone! I had a hard time posting my stats for this challenge on @Bobbinyc's account, for some reason. So, I am posting it by using the reply to @ThatGreen, just to get started. 

USW- 183.5 (1/8/2016)

CSW- 158 (4/17/2017)

GW- 148 (5/29/2017)

UGW- 140

PW- 153 (4/3/2017)

CW- 156.5

MFP- My husband. He finally agreed to use a fit-bit! PTL! 

Weekly goals:
18 April - CSW 156.5 BMI 26
24 April - GW 154.5

01 May - GW 153

08 May -GW 151.5 (Day I leave for Europe)

13 May -GW 150 

23 May -GW 149  

29 May - GW 148 (Day I will celebrate my achievement for this challenge. I used to have this weight last summer, but I was bad, and did not participate in our wonderful challenges. Now, I have to start over, again). 

Best wishes to you, all!

Best Answer

@Bogdel  I'm not sure what you mean, but hitting the reply button on a different post would not make a difference as far as I know since the reply is not linked to the actual post/account but to the thread as a whole. But feel free to do so.
I hit the reply button on the original post both times I posted my stats, as well as when asking my question about my first post disappearing. My question is still up and my second stat post has been up for a few hours as well.
Let's just hope the board is done with the binging for nowSmiley Wink

Best Answer

Yesterday I walked over 10K and had 1094 cals deficit between in-take and burn-out.

I plan to do walk 10 K steps every day for this challenge. I will also log my food daily. These two things should keep me motivated to reach my goal this time. Wish me well, everyone!

Thanks, and best wishes to you, too! 🙂

Best Answer

@ThatGreen, In the past, every time I posted my stats, I did so by replying to the post of the person who initiated the challenge (I don't know any other way to join the group). Since @Bobbinyc was the initiator this time, I replied to her post (twice!), and both times my post did not show up. Moreover, the second time I had a message wich said that I was not allowed to participate in this discussion, which I thought it was absurd. The only thing I can think of is that probably @Bobbinyc removed some of her inactive friends from her list (I was inactive last time), which fit-bit may have interpret it as being blocked by her. I was able to write to everyone on this forum except for her. I know that she would not intentionally block me. 

Any way, thanks for letting me post my stats through you. I really want to work on my goal this time. 

Best regards!

Ellie

Best Answer
0 Votes