Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

@ThatGreen and @Bogdel You can hit reply to anyone's post, whether you're friends with them or not. I just hit reply to Bogdel's last post; you can choose any post in this thread and it will post at the end of the last page. Not sure what happened with the posts that you lost, but I wouldn't think it has anything to do with being on a friend's list or not. I don't have a lot of 'friends' on here, but I post a good bit just by replying to anyone's post. Hope that helps and I'm looking forward to 'getting to know' you both during this challenge. 🙂 

Best Answer

@GettingfitinSCThat's what I thought as well. The posts disappearing is probably just a glitch and we can always post again.
I have no actual people ("friends") linked to my Fitbit account except my sister who inherited my old Flex when I upgraded. I never cared for the "competition" aspect of Fitbit, partly because my steps are pretty non existent due to pain, but I'm also about as competitive as a happy sloth. You do you attitude all the way.

I just looked at your stats and realized how similar our more ambitious goals are. Here's to crossing our fingers and getting out of the 200's!Smiley Very Happy

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

The issue with lost posts seems to have happened to a few people and I suspect it was around the same time. I've noticed glitches sometimes and just cannot post but waited a while and it worked fine. I think they work on the forums on the back end and it messes up a bit. I believe everyone is back to normal now so we are set to continue with the challenge!

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

@Bogdel  I'm sorry you had trouble with your posts.  Happens to me sometimes too.  I have no control over who comes into the group at all.  No one does.  And all are always welcome.  It looks like you posted again so I hope the problem is solved.  Once in awhile when I try to post it doesn't work.  I assume fitbit is working on something and will straighten it out.   If you still have a problem, contact Help.

Best Answer

I'm gonna complain for a second...I'm so tired. The tylenol 3's are making my face tingle! The tylenol 1's just weren't helping with the pain last night so I made sure I had food in my belly before taking one of the 3's and it's better, but I can't warm up and now my face is feeling weird and so dizzy. I'll go to bed soon.

I walked with Mom at the mall today for the first time since last weekend. We did two laps only but also went into three stores to do groceries. I've got just over 6000 steps for the day but I think it's plenty after what I've gone through this week.

Tomorrow I have to walk my dog to the groomer's then take the bus downtown to do some bank business then back to the groomer to walk my dog home. I'll be exhausted again. 

I don't think I mentioned it before, but my daughter lost her wallet while visiting my son in Toronto. Credit cards, bank card, all her ID and $85 cash. Without her ID she wouldn't be able to get on her flight home Saturday. So we all went into panic mode last night. I ran out this morning and over-nighted her passport to her ($45 fee) so she could get home. She contacted the Toronto transit this afternoon and they had the wallet!! She went to retrieve it and she said it was dirty but everything was in it. Even the cash! PHEW!! She did so many fun things that I now want to go for a trip, though I'm not one for crowded and huge cities. 

Alright, I'm just blabbering under the influence of pain meds so I'll quit while I'm ahead and go sleep. Have a great night everyone. 

Best Answer

Hi, @Bobbinyc! Great to be connected with you again. I knew that this had nothing to do with you, although it appears like only my messages to you didn't get through. Thankfully, I'm in now, and happy to participate in the challenge again. 

I just came from the Rec. Center, and burned over 500 cals. I also completed my 10K steps for the day. Looking forward to a great time with this challenge. 

Blessings and strength!

Ellie

Best Answer

Thanks, @GettingfitinSC! I'm in now, and happy about it. I got tired of writing my stats over and over again, just to see them disappear. Glad this is clear and over.  We are all set, and ready to go for it! 🙂

Best wishes!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_  I'm sorry you're not feeling good. I went back through a couple of your posts to see you had your wisdom teeth removed a few days ago. I had two of mine removed a couple of years ago and eventually have to take the remaining two some day, but I can't imagine having the amount of pain and discomfort you're describing.
I got mine pulled a couple months apart (to allow the first to heal before taking the second) with local anesthesia. I might just have been super lucky, but I only had to take mild pain killers on the day after the anesthesia faded and once the morning after.

As an almost constantly cold person, I highly recommend hot water pads (or fill up empty soda bottles). I almost always take at least one to bed because I have trouble sleeping when my feet are cold.

I'm crossing my fingers you'll be warm and pain free when you wake up tomorrow!

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ThatGreen  Thanks for your well-wishes. I think I'm going to be fine. I had the two on my right removed because one of the wisdom teeth was loose and weakening the jaw bones. Soooo, I'm supposed to have the other two removed in about 8 months. I'll be very wary of it and might end up putting it off, but I'll see how I feel at the time. 

Now, for those interested in glitches in the forums, I received FOUR emails saying that @ThatGreen had mentioned me in a post. And the last one was the only one where I was mentioned. So...there are definitely some issues going on. 

Best Answer

@_Lilac_  I love that someone found your daughter's wallet and handed it in, with everything in it.  So nice to hear the good stuff.  

I do hope you feel better soon.  Dental work is really awful.  

Best Answer

Today was a good work out at the rec center. I walked 11K and logged my food. Good day.

Best Answer

HAPPY FRIDAY!! and it's my 1/2 day woo hoo!   Hope everyone has great fun plans for the weekend.

I'm heading off to see family and get some walking in too!   

couple of good news this week.

1. my pup has qualified for a thyroid study, meaning we now know what's wrong and that he'll have a full recovery!!! and I'll get free med care for 6 mths for him..  Can't wait to get my walking buddy back with me. I've been so worried 

2. Had to buy some khaki Jeans - (hate the "skinny" leg ones) so usually by mens-- Got back into 32!! with some room to spare -- last year at this time I was stuffing myself in to 36.

Onward to success.  Have a wonderful day! and my the Odds be ever in your favor!Heart

Best Answer

@_Lilac_  Hope things are improving for you and you're feeling better.  tooth and month pain - yikes!! Take care!Heart

Best Answer

YAY!!! It is Friday. I am so anxious to get this day over with. This has been such an emotional work week and it didn't help any that it is "that time of the month" for me. So I am beyond ready to get this weekend started.

Well last night did not go as planned.I ended up going to the next town over (about 30 minute drive) with a friend who had to run some errands. She wanted to stop at the Japanese Restaurant there, and I was really uneasy about it. One because I so LOVE that Yum-Yum sauce, but know how fattening it is. Two because all the rice and even though I LOVE it, I am not wanting to eat that many carbs that late in the evening. BUT, she says she is craving it and please can we go there. SO, she is driving and I say, what ever you want to do. SO we go, I talked with the waiter and asked could I get just a plate of the chicken and mushrooms only and he agreed to do that. So I was happy with myself for not having any rice or any Yum-Yum sauce. When the salad and soup came out she said are you not going to eat salad??? (with a shocked look on her face) and I said NOPE, it is covered in the Yum-Yum sauce. So I only ate my grilled chicken and mushrooms. I counted that as a victory. She is a good friend and is one who is in the processes of getting things ready to have weight loss surgery. So I took this time to sort of encourage to try to do this on her own. Her reply is you have lost so much weight, there is nothing wrong with you having a cheat day. Then she says as long as I have lost some weight before the end of the 6 months before the surgery, I am good. So my comeback is if you tried harder, you could do this on your own and not have to do the surgery and if I given in to all the things I love, I will get my 50 pounds back before you know. All in all, an eventful discussion.

Now don't get me wrong, Lord knows I have had my share of cheat days. However I am working hard on trying to choose them more wisely.

Okay, I have rambled enough, so I am gonna get things heading in the direction of being able to leave for the weekend. Yay, less than 5 more hours!!!

I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day and weekend!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@HeartBiller  Weight loss surgery, as you know, doesn't fix the underlying problem. She's already making the excuses that could be a downfall afterward. I'm glad you are sticking to your guns and doing it your way. It's worked so far!! You will be healthier for it. 

Best Answer

@_Lilac_I agree completely. I have even shared with her, that if I could have gotten my husband to agree to it, I would have had it 3 years ago, but now I am so thankful I didn't. This way is much safer, healthier, and all around better. Another thing I shared with her is that I have another friend who had it 2 a few months ago, and she has not lost half of what was expected to lose, simply because it is easy to still get the cake icing, and ice cream down even if you can't get the meat and veggies down. So I have so learned that the "lifestyle change" is the only sure fire way to get where you want to be. I do thank God often that he never allowed my husband (whom I can usually get to agree to anything) to agree for me to have it. That was definitely one of them that Garth Brooks sings about..lol. "I thank God for unanswered prayers"!!

Today has went good so far. I am still anxious to get off work... 2 more hours. lol. I think I will go spend some time with my mommy! I love when I get off early and get a chance to go spend an afternoon just sitting around talking with her.

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@Bogdel I'm glad that glitch was straightened out.  If anything, it sounds like the glitch was with my end of things.  Ah well, at least we are here now.  And just so you know, almost everyone goes through periods of being inactive.  I know for myself, I do better when I post regularly, but, well...what I know and what I do don't always match.  

Burning over 500 cals in one shot is amazing!

Best Answer

I weigh on Fridays so here goes my first Weigh-In!

USW - 161.6 (12/25/16)

SW - 149.2 (4/18/17)

CW - 149.4 (4/21/17)

CW - (4/28/17)

CW - (5/5/17)

CW - (5/12/17)

FW#1 -  -- GW #1 - 146.6 (5/17/17) 

CW - (5/19/17)

CW - (5/26/17)

FW#2 -  -- GW #2 - 145.0 (Memorial Day)

UGW #1 - 140

UGW #2 - 135

The start of this challenge was a day I had a pretty big drop so I'm glad to have remained in that area of the scale. Tomorrow I will be attending the March for Science so I am hoping to get all my steps in throughout the event! Wish me luck!

Best Answer

Thank you, @Bobbinyc! You are kind and encouraging, as always. Yes, it is good to be back in. I'll make sure to stay active and I give everyone here permission to hold me accountable (smiling). 

Have a great day! 🙂

Best Answer

@HeartBiller, Thank you so much for sharing this experience. You don't know how inspiring it is to me. Congratulations on your victory. I face this kind of temptation when my husband gets his monthly pizza. I LOVE pizza, and I found it hard to resist. So I considered that my "cheat" day. However, I can always feel the negative difference, and I always pay for it. I asked him recently to serve his portion in the future, and to put the rest of it out of my sight. Nevertheless, I will remember your example next time I face a temptation like that. Thank you, again!

Best Answer