Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

@HeartBiller, I agree with @_Lilac_. Weight-loss surgery is both dangerous and with multiple side-effects. I hope your friend will do some pro and con reading before she does that. The problem with eating, as we know, is addiction to the wrong, unhealthy kinds of food. Once we are able to detoxify our body and re-train our taste buds, we can build a healthier life-style. My husband told me something that I found very helpful. He said, "sometimes, we need to demonize certain foods, if we want to get rid of craving them." I actually did that with certain foods and they are no longer part of my diet. Instead of thinking what they do to my taste buds, I think of what they contain (i.e. flour, sugar, fat, artificial flavors, etc.), and what they do to my body. Every time I take time to do that, the craving turns into disgust, and then, into victory. I still have some food items that I want to remove from my diet, and I will... one at a time (smiling). 

It's so good to be back and to read all these inspiring testimonies! 

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Best Answer

Hey, everyone!

So I'm currently trudging away on my stationary bike, trying to contribute to my burn. I'm thinking 400-500 calories is my goal for this cause it's gonna get me to my goal by the end of the day.

So I got really curious as to what you guys do to hit your goals? 

Also wondering if there's anyone here who does low carb in any form?

I eat pretty much anything and nothing is off limits, but I'm really curious about how you guys eat and if it holds any advantages for you?

Edit: 556 calories, whoop! When I hit 500, I had about 4 minutes away from an hour so I couldn't pass that up. Also forgot to turn off workout mode right away.
On the backside, my backside is numb...Smiley Frustrated

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

Hi,  just got fit bit yesterday, but ready for some challenges to lose weight.

USW 202.0 lbs

SW. 202.0

CW  202.0

GW  190.0

UGW 145.0

Best Answer

@ThatGreen I don't have any specific dietary rules, but I work to stay within the calorie range FitBit sets for me. Since I started tracking my calories I realized that a lot of my problem was that I was eating calories that weren't sustainable. My body would burn through them so quickly and then I was hungry again so I would eat more. What I've been working on is making sure that the calories I eat are "worth it". If there's a crappy piece of pizza at an event, I no longer eat it just because I can. It's not good for me and I don't really want it! I would much rather "spend" those calories on something that sounds appealing. So overall my thinking related to food is that nothing is strictly off limits, but there are things I have phased out of my daily habits. For example, I don't eat Jolly Ranchers while I watch TV anymore because I don't need them and they don't sustain me, but when I got some during Easter I still let myself eat them.

Best Answer

@Bogdel It's incredible how you can retrain your taste buds! When I began focusing more on my food, I stopped eating a lot of processed sugary snacks (think Rice Crispy treats, candy) and when I had a bite of one a month or so later, I was alarmed by how much sweeter they tasted! I retrained my tastebuds not to expect so much sugar and it worked!

Best Answer

@ThatGreen I've been keeping my carbs low lately, and it has really helped get my weight loss going again. I had plateaued for a couple of weeks. The carbs I'm cutting back on are refined carbs- white bread, pasta, desserts, white potatoes, etc. I'm not cutting back on fruits/veggies/beans. This has made me especially aware of where the bulk of my calories was from. My calories are usually way under budget now, and I used to be over frequently on the 1000 cal deficit plan.  

Best Answer

@BobbieD  Welcome!!! I love my fitbit. I hope you enjoy yours just as much. This forum is invaluable to feeling a sense of community and 'I am not alone'. We all face different struggles but you will find people here who know exactly what you are going through and what you are feeling. Glad to have you with us!

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer
Thank you!
Best Answer

@ThatGreen wrote:

Hey, everyone!

So I'm currently trudging away on my stationary bike, trying to contribute to my burn. I'm thinking 400-500 calories is my goal for this cause it's gonna get me to my goal by the end of the day.

So I got really curious as to what you guys do to hit your goals? 

Also wondering if there's anyone here who does low carb in any form?

I eat pretty much anything and nothing is off limits, but I'm really curious about how you guys eat and if it holds any advantages for you?

Edit: 556 calories, whoop! When I hit 500, I had about 4 minutes away from an hour so I couldn't pass that up. Also forgot to turn off workout mode right away.
On the backside, my backside is numb...Smiley Frustrated

I do low carb, with Atkins Phase 2, about 30 carbs daily. activity mostly walking.

Best Answer

Welcome to all old friends and newcomers to this challenge.  Looks like we are off to a great start.  The last challenge brought amazing success and new milestones to quite a few people and I'm sure this one will too.

We can do this together!

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

Welcome aboard, @BobbieD. You will love your fit-bit! I got my first one last year in January and it has helped me (along with this wonderful group) loose 38 lbs in one year. Well, I gained some back during the winter holidays and vacation, but I am still 30 lbs lighter than I was before I started. The key for me was to eat healthy, log my food daily and just walk. I am on my second fit-bit (blase). and I keep moving along, to reaching my ideal weight. 

Best wishes to you!

Best Answer

Hi, @ThatGreen. When I started this weight loss process, over a year ago, I ate mostly greens (veggies and fruit), beans, nuts, and seeds, occasionally, spiced with a small amount of animal protein. I just removed anything that is white or starchy (i.e. sugar, flour, rice, or potatoes). 

Recently, I started removing most of the meats (with rare exceptions - I had some turkey breast for Easter). I do eat fish every once in a while, but I intend to avoid chicken, beef, turkey, pork, etc.). I do use a bit of milk in my tea or coffee (about 1/2 to 1 cup/day, at the most), or some yogurt in my smoothies. Occasionally, I also eat a coupe of eggs - on average, twice a month. 

However, for me, the main thing is to keep moving and to log my food, to ensure that I stay within the caloric deficit prescribed by Fit-bit. I noticed that if I don't move (mostly walk), I don't lose, no mater how little or healthy I eat. 

Like you, I would be interested to hear from others, as well. So, thanks for asking.

Best to you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@_Lilac_- sometimes and edited post shows up multiple times.  The person may just change a word but it shows up again.  I noticed this once before when someone actually added a couple of sentences, so the notifications were quite different.

@HeartBiller- as already mentioned, surgery is not a fix.  It may be an option for some, but even those who've had surgery can gain it back.  I do think it's about building a better relationship with yourself and food.  Maybe it's not for all people who lose weight, but I think it's true for a number of us.  I will never eat the way I have in the past... however, I can become active enough and adjust other meals that (using this week as an example) I've had lunch out, had take-out the next lunch, bought Chinese food on the way home one night (ended up being three meals) and had cake and cupcakes on Thursday when two different people left our company.  I stepped on the scale this morning and I'll either be the same as last week or down a small amount when I weigh in tomorrow.

@GettingfitinSC- I think you were the person who asked about strength training without equipment.  My go to site when people ask is:  http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

(if you weren't the person I'll likely see that thread later)

I'm off to do a few more things today before a friend comes over for a chat and a cup of tea.  Best of luck to everyone with the current challenge.  Woman Very Happy

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Wow, thank you everyone for replying. It makes me more inspired to keep making changes in my own "diet".

@em.kzI really like the way you think about food. I'm still stuggling a bit with the temptation to have certain things I know are bad for me and will leave me unsatisfied in terms of both hunger and cravings.
I think a lot of it is down to habit (and a little because I don't enjoy spending time in the kitchen and just want a quick fix), but I'm constantly trying to rewire my brain little by little to form new and better habits. It's slow going, but it's going..

@GettingfitinSCDo you still have whole grain versions of things like pasta and bread?
I very rarely have anything with white flour, usually it's if I'm having dinner at someone's house and it's a good fit with my meal. And I usually don't make anything sugary at home but do have the occasional chocolate craving.

I just really, really like the look of low carb meals for some reason. They look so easy and appetizing and always makes me think "hm, I wanna eat that".

@SabernI just went to the Atkins site to see what Phase 2 was and I got so inspired by the food lists they have on there. Thank you! 
I'm not looking to cut too low on my carbs, but I'll definitely consult those lists when making my grocery list next time.

@BogdelCan I ask what you eat for protein? With my more agressive deficit, I struggle to hit my protein goals and meat and fish is really expensive here and not ideal for my budget. I'd love some tips if you've got any.

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

@ThatGreen I don't typically eat whole grain breads and pasta. I don't really like the taste a whole lot. I like veggies and salads. My daughter (20) is a strict vegetarian. She gets her protein from beans, cheese, tofu, nuts, and peanut butter.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker Thank you for the link! I can definitely use that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!

Looking forward to this new challenge.  I weigh in on Fridays so here's my first Friday weight: 

USW: 224.5 lbs (7/6/16)

CSW:  151.0 (04/18/17)  (Starting weight for this challenge)

CW: 151.0 (04/21/17)

Goal Range:   150.0 - 155.0

My goals for this challenge are:

to stay within my weight goal range;

to increase my daily step goal from 5,000 to 6,500; and

to add strength training/toning 2x week to my workouts.

I'm also working on revamping my meal plans to add more calories and a little more variety. I am definitely NOT a cook (that's hubby's job😉) so my meal plans consist of very simple things like salads, fresh fruits, sandwiches, and grilled or broiled meats. Once I put a "meal" together I log the recipe in MFP for quick access. I was at the bookstore the other day and found several low calorie meal plan books and they have given me some great ideas. 

Welcome to all our new friends!  Looking forward to getting to know everyone! 

Best Answer

Good Plan, @RachelShrinks!  Just remember, though, once you've managed to rein in those non-nutritive foods and are back in control, if you don't occasionally allow yourself a treat, your cravings might get the bit between the teeth and off you go again!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @GettingfitinSC, even if you don't get your wish Goal of 199.9, as soon as you get down to 204.5, your BMI will be out of the 40s!!!  And you've been doing really good in the Challenges!  I'm really proud of you!!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

@Tybokitty!@Tybokitty!

Best Answer
0 Votes