Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

@Tybokitty, you can get your BMI from either of these WebSites:

I know that for me, getting my Steps in and logging my Food Intake have been critical to losing weight.  The Challenges really help motivate me to walk.  While the Fat and Sodium have been more helpful than the Calories themselves.  (I usually end up the Day trying to find something to eat that doesn't have a lot of Fat or Sodium but does have a lot of Calories so that I can reach my BMR!!!)  But that's because I love my Meat and Dairy.  (I love the Sweets also, but I can keep them in control easier than the other two!!!)

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where in Europe are you going, @Bogdel?  I'm going to be joining my Mother & Sister (they're flying out of Phoenix) in Glasgow, Scotland, for a few Days (05/15-05/18) then we'll be flying over to Dublin, Ireland, for a few more Days (05/18-05/22).  I've been to Scotland before but not Ireland.

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bogdel, I try to do a Copy before I post. That way, if it disappears, I just have to do a Paste and it's back and I'm ready to try again.

Best Answer

You're going to love your FitBit, @BobbieD

I just sent you an Invitation to be my Friend.  If you accept, I can Invite you to join some of the Challenges.  I'm always in at two!  You access them on your SmartPhone (or Tablet) App. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Easter Day Weight - 249

Sunday1 - 247 - (4/23) 248 Target

Sunday2 - (4/30) 247 Target
  Sunday3 - (5/07) 246 Target 
  Sunday4 - (5/14) 245 Target 
  Sunday5 - (5/21) 244 Target 
  Sunday6 - (5/28) 243 Target  

Memorial Day Goal - 242

-2 lbs

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

I've been  a little quiet for me. Whoa, how strange. Thought I'd give everyone a break. haha. Nah, I think getting these two wisdom teeth have just knocked the crap outta me. Everything is sort of a blur even though I stopped taking pain killers two days ago. In @HeartBiller tradition, I'll apologize for the TMI but say I haven't gone to the bathroom since at least last Sunday or Monday, due to the codeine I'm sure. All I have to do to fix it is to have some kind of wholegrain/seeds or frozen vegetables (I don't handle them at all) but who wants a full-on IBS attack?? I have done about 8000 steps daily for the last 4 days but I have no idea how because I feel very lethargic or lazy. I tried eating a bigger supper last night to move things along. Otherwise, I've been eating eggs and yogurt because they are easy and less painful than real chewing. I haven't lost anything. I made a big pot of tea this morning and I'll try to get back to normal food today and go for an extra long walk with the big dog because he hasn't been out in two days. That's torture for him. The other day, taking my little dog to the groomer, going downtown and then walking the dog home from the groomer ruined my knee again for yesterday but I still walked the mall for three laps, to try and work out the stiffness. It just seems like it's one thing after another with me. It's like my Fat Monster is saying, "STOP! It's enough! You've done a lot, now it's time for ME to take over and get you fattened up again."  I have to fight him. 

Good news...my daughter returned from her trip and is safe and sound, wallet and all. It's my Mom's 70th birthday on the 30th so my sister has rented a place called 'Unplugged' where you can go and play board games, card games, and do family stuff without electronics. It should be a good time. It's my sister's birthday tomorrow so I need to come up with a plan to get her something or do something for her. My daughter and her friend got approved to rent an apartment so she'll be moving out within the week. She's lived on her own so it will be difficult for her to live at home with Mommy. No boys in her room, etc. lol. She has been 'adulting' full time for a while now, so it's time to get outta the nest. (Did you know that 'adult' has become a verb with the millennials??) 

Ok, you are all caught up with me. My goals for the day are to try to get back into normal rhythm, in several ways. Food, exercise, bathroom, shushhing the fat monster.

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Hi, @BLLingg! I will be going to Romania for a bout 10 weeks. This is a mission trip. I need to prepare mentally to stick to my healthy diet and life-style while there. Last year I did pretty well, though not perfectly. At that time I planned to maintain my weight, and I gained 3 lbs. This was good, compared to my previous years. 

However, this time I hope to continue loosing weight by eating healthy and walking my daily 10K. I need to prepare my mind for it, though, so that I will stay away from everything that would prevent me from reaching my goal.  

Best Answer

Hello, Everyone!

So far, so good. My goal for this week was 154.5. My actual morning weight for the last couple of days has been 153.8, but I am rounding it up to 154.

Friday I was low on energy and felt the need to recover from my Thursday work-out. So, I didn't do my 10K, as intended. However, yesterday (Saturday), I picked up again: I walked my 10 K and burned about 400 cals at the rec center. Yesterday, I also had a small victory: a friend came over and brought a fruit pie - thinking that it is healthier for me than what he brought on Easter (a huge Red Velvet cake and a big box of cheese cake "bites"; I ended up throwing the big left-over velvet cake into the disposal, and gave the cheese cake bites to an elderly neighbor). 

Yesterday, I served the fruit pie with ice-cream to my friend and my husband, but I did not touch it. Half of the pie is still in the fridge, but I will either let my husband take care of it, or take it to my neighbor, again. Sorry, my friend! I know you are well intended, but I cannot put those things inside my body! I am pretty happy with the reward I get from reaching my weekly weight/health goal. 

Today I intend to complete my 10 K steps, again. So far, I walked about 4300 steps with my little Yorkie in the morning. Two more walks should get me to my blessed 10K goal for today.

USW- 183.5 (1/8/2016)

CSW- 158 (4/17/2017)

GW- 148 (5/29/2017)

UGW- 140

PW- 153 (4/3/2017)

CW- 156.5

MFP- My husband. He finally agreed to use a fit-bit! PTL! 

Weekly goals:
18 April - CSW 156.5 BMI 26
24 April - GW 154 (target: 154.5) PTL!

01 May - GW 153

08 May -GW 151.5 (Day I leave for Europe)

13 May -GW 150 

23 May -GW 149  

29 May - GW 148 

Best wishes to you, all!

Best Answer
@ Blling - Thanks for the websites to look up BMI.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

As of the 26th of this month I will be finished with the drug for my liver that has put my weight on me. I lost 11 lbs and felt good but this last week or so my tendons seem to be suffering injuries. Where I thought Nora broke my finger turned out to be that I heard a tendon snap as the MRI showed. Trying  to buddy tape it for a couple of months as the plastic surgeon wants to replace the joint. OH NO. I'll pass . plantar fasciitis shows up out of nowhere. My weight now without daily 5 mile or more walks is up a lb to 122 so Nora and I will try to get in another short one. Need to take care of this foot now that running /walkling weather is here so doing a lot yoga and tai chi to stretch out. just got to finish the meds and move on.

Best Answer

@Nora58, I had two HRs that fell apart in just a year and a half. The first had the plastic of the tracker unglued at the corner. They replaced it for free (it was still under warranty). The second had the rubber band unglued at the place where it covers the tracking device. I decided to upgrade to a blase, which fits tightly into the frame, without any glue. They gave me 20% discount, which helped. This one has more features, and I can use it at the gym for different work-outs. The sleep reading is also much better than that of HR. The main thing is my hope that this will not fall apart on me, since it's tucked inside the frame and it can be removed for charging. 

Hope you find the best and most lasting solution for yourself.

Best Answer

@Nora58, Both my husband and a neighbor of mine had plantar fasciitis recently. My neighbor bought a special pair of very expensive plantar fasciitis shoes online and she said it made a huge difference. For my husband, I bought plantar fasciitis inserts (from amazon.com), and it helped him as much as my neighbor's expensive shoes. I thought this may help you in your decision making as you look for a solution to this new challenge you have. 

I would be interested in your liver treatment, if it isn't too personal, and what prompted it. 

Best wishes!

Best Answer

Hi all! Yesterday was a wonderful day for me! Not only did I attend the March for Science, but I got a new 20,000 step badge (double win!!!). Despite feeling a bit sick due to dehydration, poor sleep (we slept on the bus from NY to DC), and lactose sensitivity, I made it through the whole day. The march gave me such a sense of energy and positivity that was incredible! Although some people there were expressing their anger with the current US administration, that was not the emotion the rally or march exuded. The march seemed to be looking toward the future and be very focused on how we can affect change. When I awoke this morning back in NY, I weighed in and found that I have lost weight! All around I am feeling great! Sometime this week I will be taking my third round of progress pictures. I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Best Answer
I have been really inactive this past half week and a little stressed.
Anxiously had been waiting to find out my training schedule which I now
have and my grandpa in the hospital (verdict is that most likely he won't
make it out of the hospital). I have been stress eating a bit... hate to
admit it and just physically drained. Really nervous about the next couple
days but we will see... hoping to get back on track soon. Giving myself a
break and hoping to feel ready to give it my all. I did my a measuring tape
to start tracking my measurements. I really hope to see a difference there
more than the scale. Also got grocery shopping done so hopefully some
healthier eating and snacking.
Best Answer

@klan7044 - sorry to hear about your grandpa.  Understand that you are feeling anxious and stressed.  I hope everything works out as well as it can.  Am thinking of you.

Here things are going ok.  I am meeting all my targets and eating well (low carb and resisting the snack-monster....it's a cousin of @_Lilac_ fat monster Smiley Wink) but this morning I got on the scale and have gained weight....  I am hoping it is water retention.  We shall see tomorrow when it's my first weigh-in day for this challenge.

Best Answer

@klan7044  Stress eating happens sometimes. It's good that you realize that you were doing it because you can try to find a different way to soothe yourself. Personally I think measuring oneself is a great idea. I do that once a month and it is more helpful to me than the scale. (My scale almost never moves but the measurements do.)

I hope that your family has strength and guidance to get through your grandfather's illness. It's hard to lose one, especially if you were close to him. Hugs to you.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is my first post for this challenge. I've been doing really well with my exercise the past few weeks. Last week I did at least 30 minutes of exercise all 7 days, so that made me happy. I did something to my neck 2 weeks ago, and it's healing VERY slowly. I think I just strained the muscle or a tendon or something. At the beginning I was having very painful muscle cramps so I was taking muscle relaxers every day. The past few days, though, I haven't needed to take them so I hope that means it's getting better. I've figured out what things aggravate it and I'm trying to avoid them when I can. Fortunately walking doesn't bother it. 

Last night I went out with a friend which is a rare treat for me. It was so nice to forget about  things for a night and just have fun. We went for breakfast afterwards and I let myself have 2 pancakes and a side of bacon. I haven't had anything like that for probably 2 years. It was so good!! Things taste so much better when you don't eat them often.

Anyhow, that might be why my weight is up a bit today. Hopefully it will drop back down the next few days.

USW - 207.5

CW - 196.0

GW - 190.0

I hope everyone has a good Monday!

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

Managed to meet my Goal.  Barely.  But like they [almost] say, "Close only counts in Horseshoes & Hand Grenades" as well as Love & Goals!  Smiley LOL

28 July 2010 - PW - 280.8  BMI 51.4  (My highest known.)
06 June 2016 - USW (in FitBit) - 216  BMI 39.5

18 April - CSW 156.8  BMI 28.7
24 April - GW 155.1 - CW 155.0  BMI 28.3
01 May - GW 153.4
08 May -GW 151.7
13 May -GW 150.0  (Day I leave for Europe)
23 May -GW 149.0  (Day I return to Work & Scales)
29 May - GW 148.0
31 May - GW 147.8

UGW - (but still not a "Healthy" BMI) - now 135

Not sure how I did it.  I was having a Pity Party yesterday and ignored my Good Inner Voice completely.  Sought out Comfort Food then pigged out.  Managed to burn more than I consumed.  But again, only just barely.

Best Answer

Not intentionally trying to "teach Grandmother to suck eggs," but Philippians 4:13, Isaiah 40:31, etc.  As usual, however, it's a heck of a lot easier to preach it than it is to walk it. Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Wow, so many of us had rough days lately where we ate more than we should and/or weren't as active as we should have been. I was jumping on to post the same. Yesterday was a rough day for me too. A little pms made an argument worse than it should have, which put me in an 'i don't care' mood, so I ate more than I needed to of foods that I didn't need to eat. (a donut, some ice cream, chips and dip) I have to say though that my serving sizes were still reasonable, so I wasn't completely out of control. I only got about 3500 steps and went to bed incredible early. I slept almost 12 hours and felt much better when I woke up. My body must have needed the rest because I dropped a chunk of weight (2.1 lbs from Sunday) and got my 25 lbs badge! 🙂 Now let's hope that number is there tomorrow for weigh-in. All that junk food from yesterday may land on the scale tomorrow morning.

Anyway, although I did choose comfort foods yesterday, I definitely noticed a difference from my past choices when feeling the need for comfort foods. I only ate 1 donut instead of 3 or 4. A while later, a small bowl of ice cream, about 3/4 c, instead of a huge bowl. And only a serving size of chips and dip on a plate, instead of the whole dip container in my lap with the bag of chips next to me. And I did NOT have my 'go to' giant glass of chocolate milk. Actually, I haven't had any in so long that I'm just now thinking of it. I didn't think of it yesterday, or I probably would have had some. So, my long rambling point is...my habits are changing. Not just on good days when I'm getting all my steps and feeling good, but even on the not so good days.

So, for everyone who has rough days sometimes- keep making good choices on the good days, and they'll become habits for the not so good days as well. I'm not to the point where going for a walk or a run is my 'comfort' action, but I didn't sabatage myself and give up either. Hang in there everyone! It's Monday- a new start to a new week! Make good choices!

Best Answer