Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

I have a quick question that probably needs to be long but I have a time limit of about 20 min to think about it before my mom arrives to go walking...soo....

How do you help someone who is in desperate need of help but you can't 'help' because there is so much resistance that a wall goes up and a big poster with a nasty face of death gets slammed onto it in response? How do you help without helping? Even an encouraging word would be met with a sneer since it would be twisted into an insult or taken personally (in this person's mind). There are glimmers of hope sometimes from this person and then *BAM* it's just shut down. 

I play out scenarios in my mind of how to get this person moving, to get that wonderful boost you need to keep going, the reminder that it isn't so bad afterall. I'm not a nag. I have been nagged. It doesn't work. I understand this person completely because she was me. One tiny mention of the issue will install permanent earplugs and a blindfold. Sigh. Being an example doesn't work...there is such a disconnect 

anyway, time's up. later gators.

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Happy Monday to all. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, if though we all know they are much to short and go by much to fast...lol. Weekends are a catch 22 for me. I so enjoy the time off work and being with family and friends. However when you are the "ONLY" one on this journey at the moment, it does get a tad harder. I will share my weekend with you just to show examples of what I am talking about. (even though I am sure you all already know..lol) So to start things off, Friday night was not bad. I finally tackled my mounds of dishes and laundry. We did eat a little later than I had hoped but that is normal for us. My husband got this new grill/griddle for his birthday and wanted to grill burgers, so I did have one however it was without the bun. I had pork rinds with in place of chips, so I counted that as a better choice..lol. Saturday was my niece's birthday party. So they had hot dogs & chili, chips & dip, cake & ice cream. So I was not perfect there, but will say I was proud of myself anyhow. When the hot dogs and chili were being served, I did not have any anything. When they were passing out the cake and ice cream, I really struggled, but yet resisted. I had one of my granddaughter's in my lap while she was eating her's and I won't lie, I did have 2 bites of each. Again, for me I am still counting it as a victory for me. Well my husband had to run a errand so I stay there with my family to visit a while, so when I was to the point I was hungry, I ended up eating 2 hotdogs, but just the hot dog by itself, no bun, no chili. I guess that one was indifferent...lol. Sunday however is my day I am counting as my victory of the weekend. My friend (the one prepping for surgery) was being baptized yesterday, so after the baptism, she wanted all of us to go out to lunch together. So we did. I picked the grilled chicken salad. YAY! I did not snack on the bread they brought out for us while waiting on the food. I did not get an appetizer, nor a dessert as many at the table did. (there was 15 of us). After all had finished eating and chatting we were heading home (a 30 minute drive) and my husband says call them (who are following us) and see if they want to stop at Dairy Queen and have a Blizzard... (devils food..lol), So I say to him, you know I am not going to eat anything there, after a discussion, we do end up stopping. I LOVE ice cream... BUT, I did not have anything but a water. My friend said I made her feel bad for eating it in front of me.. I said I am good, you eat away if that's what you want to do...lol. So then we go to a visiting church several hours later for the evening service. After the service was over the preacher announces that they are having snacks downstairs and begs us to join them. Guess what, we do...lol. So when getting downstairs, guess what they are snacking on... Ice Cream Cake, chips& dip, nacho's and cheese dip, meat balls, some type of Hamburger and cheese sauce, did I mention I love ice cream...lol. Well I REALLY love Ice Cream Cake.  Anyhow, once again, I helped my grandson make himself a plate and at the end of the line, I grabbed a water and headed to the table. There is 6 adults sitting at my table along with 3 kids.. and all are saying why will you not eat? My friend (who is prepping for surgery) says to my daughter in a quote, "your mom is "being good" it makes me sick" So not being sure how to take it, I simply said, I am working toward a goal and this will not get me there. Now mind you the goal I am referring to is one I have set for my self for my Dr. appointment on this Wednesday, BUT it kept me strong enough to be able to pass both of those up with out too much sadness...lol. Now honestly none of this is what I had in mind to type here when I first signed on, but it is what came out...lol. SO I guess I will come back in a bit and type what I initially had in mind..lol.

Sorry for the rambling...

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

LCSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 210.8

LW- 210.8

CW- 209.6

GW- 205.0 (Memorial Day)

UGW- 150

Had a very active weekend without easy access to food that assisted in relieving me of my holiday gain from last time. Onward and downward!

Best Answer

@HeartBiller, thank you so much for sharing this experience, and congratulations on your chain of victories this past weekend. Yes, I love ice cream too, and I probably would have failed the test if I were you. Yet, your testimony inspires me to follow your example. Keep it up, friend! God Bless!

Best Answer

Ok so I'm a little late to this but I would still like to join.  I need the motivation!  I've been on a program through work and I was doing really well and then fell off the wagon.  I'm hoping to lose 15 pounds by Memorial Weekend.  *Fingers Crossed*

39 F 5"9

USW -  227

04/24/2017   SW -    225

5/01/2017     CW

05/08/217     CW

05/15/2017   CW

05/22/2017   CW

05/29/2017   GW-    210

UGW-  160

Best Answer

@BogdelI will admit I fail more often then not.. Just ask @_Lilac_... lol. She has discussed some of them with me. I guess that is why I shared it this morning.. It was like I was super proud of myself for passing on so many levels this weekend. This group helps me more than anything else. I just love the support and encouragement we get from each other.

@BobbieDWelcome aboard.. I am sure you will love it here. I must say I have loved everyday of it since I stumble upon it.

@A_LurkerYou know it is funny to me how now, I have the same views on weight loss surgery, but 3 years ago, I did not. Then I seen it as the only way out. I thank God so much for my husband and his insistence on me not having it. You are definitely prouder of your self when you do it this way. Although I have had people ask me did I have surgery...lol. It makes me so happy to say, NO, I did not!!

@klan7044I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I know how hard that can be. Nothing but hugs from this group!

@GettingfitinSCCongrats on your 25 pound badge. I know you have to be super excited about that. I know I sure was when I got mine. It is so funny how them badges seem to mean so much to us! Keep it up, you got this!

Best Answer

@snickel  Welcome to the group! Join right in. You will find lots of support and encouraging words from all here!

Best Answer

Happy Monday All!!  Just checking in and seeing everyone's post -  Good to see everyone sharing on the challenge..

Not sure how I did weight wise, But did do serious steps this weekend!  Did 11 miles (28k steps) on Saturday- still haven't gotten 30K steps in yet, but getting close!  So adding to my goals for this challenge beside weight -- to reach 30K in one day!!!

Any one else in?   Woman LOL

have a good week all!!! I'm on Jury duty- so may note be able to be on,  just depends if I get called or not.  Don't thing they would appreciate me bring my Ipad in the jury box aye.

Best Answer

Hi @_Lilac_ - as I live in a different time zone to you....I am probably far too late in answering your post...but...the short answer is you can't.  If you have got to the point where you haven't managed to persuade them yet yourself (and you come across as a pretty articulate person) then I think you have to take a step back, continue to set your excellent example and wait for them to come around.

You didn't give much back info, but it must be someone close to you for you to be so concerned.  They will have been 'watching' you and will have seen the amazing positive movements you have made over the last months.  I am sure it hasn't gone unnoticed and I am sure they have taken on board whatever you have already tried.  Sometimes people have to move at their own rate - you can't force them.  Difficult as it is.  Just keep on being you and being positive and eventually it will all come good.  I know its frustrating but be a brick wall.  In the nicest sense, of course 🙂

Best Answer

Welcome a'board, @snickel! You will love this group. I've been with it for a year and a half. Yes, I've fallen off the wagon for a while, too, but I'm back, and pressing on. Some of the testimonies here are so inspiring to me, and encourage me to reach for my ideal, healthiest weight. Great to gave you! 

Best wishes!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_, I agree with @Ava_. If you face resistance, the only thing to do is step back and let go. People need to come to their own conclusions before they decide to change (like we did). Others, even if they know the theory and agree to it, would rather die than give up the food they are addicted to. I see that in some of the people that are close to me. They admire and respect my achievement in weight loss and the change of my life style; I can also tell that they wish they could do it, too, but are not ready to give up some of the things that, as we know, kills them slowly, but surely. By the way, there was a time when I was resistant, too! Thank God, I am passed that. 

Best Answer

Thank you for words of encouragement to just relax in regard to the person in need of help. I know it's what I have to do, I just needed to air it out and get a little feedback. We all need to hit our 'low' or something has to trigger in our brains to make us change. There are constant triggers for this person but it hasn't yet shocked her into the necessary steps. It will come. I'm hoping soon. All I can do is take care of myself at this point. 

Walked with Mom at the mall despite knee pain that has come back with a vengeance. I really feel like I need to or I'll fall back into my sedentary lifestyle with all the health struggles I've had lately. I can feel the pull of the chair. I'm down, stressed, in pain, etc. Food is ok. I'm not overeating at all, it's just an effort to move and it scares me. So I walked. I had a nap this afternoon and I'm up now. Need supper and don't want to make anything. I'm just so BLAH.

I read my first paragraph of this post then look at the second paragraph and it's like two different people. Ahhh...So the first person has to get out a shock prod and stick it in the second person. I think I need some tough love from @HeartBiller  like when she has a bad weekend and I poke at her. haha. I think I'll go for a walk alone. I can make better time than with the dogs, it's less stressful because I'm always nervous if the big one will jump out at cars, people, bikes, other dogs, and he pulls. So maybe just ME. I just need to pick a direction!

Alright, talked myself into it. I'll check in later.

Best Answer
Thank you, still learning how to navigate on here!
Best Answer
Thank you, still learning how to navigate on here!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: My daughter wanted to go for a walk with the dogs so we took them a few blocks then I returned them all home and took off by myself. I did a nice long trek through the neighbourhood on a different route than I normally take and stopped at the pharmacy to pick up something for my daughter. I was a few streets from home when my 10,000 step buzzer surprised me. This is the first day I've hit my goal in almost two weeks. YAY. And my mood has improved substantially. I have to take a pain pill, but I needed that buzzer. I will be having a late supper. Not sure what yet, but it will be healthy. 

I need progress and achievements. I need the buzzers and reminders. It keeps me going and interested.

Best Answer

So - here are my stats for my first weigh-in of this challenge...

USW - 154 (12/30/16)

CSW for this challenge – 135.5 (04/18)

CW – 135.5 (04/25)  

GW for this challenge - 129

UGW - 125 (summer?)

So - no change whatsoever, despite hitting all my daily targets and not snacking.  I am taking a deep and breath and just accepting it.  It will eventually shift because I am doing all the right things this time.

Best Answer

@Ava_, I thought I'd share this with you. One thing I did to break the plateau was to trick the fit-bit by increasing my weight goal. For example, instead of saying that I want to reach 145 lbs, I entered 135 lbs. That way, it seams like fit bit calculates a higher daily deficit (I think!). So, I burn more, eat less, and loose weight. I am still experimenting with it, and I'm not sure it works, but I did lose quite a lot last week. I'm curious if it is still going to work in the next few weeks. We'll see... 🙂

Best wishes!

Best Answer

So today my friend left for home again and it is the end of those holidays (still got time off, but that is back to my normal schedule). We did really well! We have been very conscious about what we ate (not meaning it was all healthy) and also got a great walk in.

SW - 59.8 kg

PW - 59.8 kg

CW - 60.3 kg

GW - 59.5 kg

So happy I had a holiday without gaining 3-5 kg 😄 .

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BogdelI'm not sure what happened when you say you tricked it, but Fitbit will give you the deficit you ask for. There are deficit plans for 250, 500, 750 and 1000 calories or you can pick your own calorie goal.

Plateaus are stupidly common and the best thing you can do is just wait it out. They can last from a couple of days to several weeks and can be caused by a hundred different things or just because that's how a body works.
Anyone concerned about prolonged plateaus should review their food (and maybe exercise) logging to look for explanations. If everything's tight and you're doing something that should yield results, patience will be rewarded.

Stay healthy, peopleSmiley Wink

Edit: Barely relevant, but I don't have my UGW as a Fitbit goal weight. I usually go in 5 kg increments or like right now, 89.9 kg (challenge goal weight as well) because I'm dying to be out of the 90's and can't remember ever being a grown up in the 80's.
Also, I get that "You hit your goal!" thing or whatever from Fitbit and it's a good boost to get every once in a while. Would definitely recommend it!Smiley Very Happy

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

Okay, so, not the greatest week last week, but I did lose. I'm hoping to ramp up this week and I will have a functional kitchen starting this evening, so I'll be able to start cooking reasonably again. 

USW: 194 lbs (January 1, 2017)

CSW: 168.2 lbs

CW (4/25): 167.8 lbs. (-0.4)

CGW: 159.9 lbs (7.9—1.6 lbs a week) 

I'll be hitting the pool for the first time in a long time today. I've been running and doing the elliptical for too long. Time to change things up!

Good luck everyone. Have a great week!

Best Answer