Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memorial Day Challenge

Welcome to the next Challenge!

This one will start on April 18 and continue to Memorial Day (May 29th) 2017.   That gives us 6 weeks to work toward our next set of goals as we try to lose weight or maintain in a healthy way.

Everyone is welcome to join this terrific group. You can post once weekly or every day - whatever you like - to share your journey, give and get support, offer advice, get some tips.  We have celebrated each other's successes, and empathized with the setbacks.  I personally found, the more I respond to others, the easier it is for me to focus on my own journey in a positive way.  We have seen great progress in previous challenges, because we are in it together and focusing on being healthier and living better lives.

Some of the terms used to report our weight:

USW - ultimate starting weight - the heaviest weight when you began to lose

SW - starting weight for this challenge

CW - current weight for the day you report in

GW - goal weight for this challenge, for Halloween

UGW - ultimate goal weight that you intend to reach eventually

Some people also include their height, their age, their BMI.  

All  you need to do to join, is start posting, usually with some of the weight information.

I'm very excited about continuing with this wonderful group of people and meeting some new folks too.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
491 REPLIES 491

USW 315
4/18 - 215.8
4/25 - 215.4

-.4 lbs

This last week has been hard. Really, really hard. I know I usually don't share much on these challenges. Well, I'm to a point where it's effecting my weight loss journey so I guess it's time. I'm going through some tough stuff at home with my husband and it's been really hard to focus on eating and exercising. I've been swinging between not wanting to eat to over eating, sometimes in the same day. Honestly, I'm struggling with depression right now. My husband and I are going to start going to counseling. Hopefully, this will help with the depression and other issues I'm struggling with. I have a really hard time reaching out when things are going wrong and I'm trying to do that now. So, if you are the praying type, prayers would be greatly appreciated. If ya aren't, just a good thought or a word of encouragement is also greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for being a good support here and a listening ear. 

Best Answer

@TT_is_me  Well I am definitely the praying type and I will be praying for you and your husband. Marriage is such an important thing to me and I am a huge advocate of trying to fix what is broken before tossing it away. So please know what ever it is, God knows and I will be praying for you! You hang in there. I know it would have to be a struggle to work on this journey and that one at the same time, but you have always had us to support you on this journey, and now you have us to support you on that one as well. Keep your head up! Many prayers coming your way!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

Here we are weigh in day again.. I am happy with myself for being more disciplined food wise over this past week, BUT I will admit, my steps have slacked so much. The sad thing is I really am not even sure why. I guess I hit a lazy spell have haven't made time to be sure to get my walks in. However I still lost so I am very happy about that. 

@_Lilac_  I would nudge you..lol. BUT you are a kick butt gal and you kicked your own butt and got it right back in gear... We all can take courage from that. YOU GO GIRL! You have no clue what an encouragement you  to all of us here. You are one amazing women!!!

MY stats
USW - 210.0 lbs -  April 25th 2016
Current  - 04/18/2017 - 158.8

04/25/17 - 04/25/2017 - 156.8 - Lost 2 pounds .. YAY!

05/02/17 -

05/09/17 -

05/16/17 -

05/23/17 -

05/29/17 -

Challenge Goal Weight for this challenge - 149.9

Best Answer

@HeartBiller I guess I am learning to kick my own butt. I've been doing this since the end of August of last year and I've been driven enough to keep my rear end in gear since then, even with tiny lapses. I'm still moving!!

I went walking this morning with Mom at the mall (2 laps because my knee was bad enough to cause a limp) and we're going shopping this afternoon. I'll get more steps in and then take the dogs this evening. 

I feel much better than yesterday, more energy, encouraged.

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Regarding person needing help: (previously mentioned).

A request was made to accompany me and Mom on our walks and the first steps have begun...the reach out was from her side, not from us. That's a small victory we celebrated privately. No pushing, no suggestions, no 'I do this'...just walk and chat. 

Something must have happened. I'm sure I will learn what it was later. But it's happening. Yippee!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_  You go girl! I was thinking regarding this person who needs help, She surely can not be around you much and some of your inspiration not rub off on her.. You are just oozing with it. If she gets to close to you, she will catch some of it.!

Best Answer

@BogdelI will check out the inserts. I have some now but they are not doing as well a I had hoped along with the new sneakers which are the same model I used last year. the ice, rolling bar, and stretches are helping as long as I can stay off the trail. Nora is not into that plan at all.  The liver was Hep C Virus from blood I received almost 40 years ago when I had my daughter by c-section and no one massaged my uterus to help it contract so I was getting blood at intervals every 3 months until someone at the naval hospital got a bright idea and took an instrument and went in and pinched me with it and it contracted then enough to make me scream. Hep C lays dormant for decades and liver test come back normal all the time. The only way to find out if you have it is to be screened for it. Mine is a genotype 3 which is Asian and rare in the US so I guess a soldier came home from Vietnam with it and there were no test for it and blood drives were constant in those days with the war on so he did a civic duty and at least the blood was there for me. My husband at the time was military so I know how they feel about helping save lives.  The drug is Epclusa and will kill geno 3 . Each type uses a different drug combo. Mine makes me tired and fat. Done with the drug tomorrow and it should clear out of my system in a week or so. There is some mitosis left which causes liver cancer but I can't even worry about that because it won't happen. Just glad I got screened and caught it .

Best Answer

USW= 235; BMI= 46 (Christmas 2016)

CSW= 212.2; BMI= 41 (April 18, 2017)

PW= 212.2

CW= 211.4 

GW= 205

UGW= 125

Total lost this week = -0.8 lbs
Total lost since April 18 = -0.8 lbs

Total lost since Christmas 2016 = -23.6

38/F/5'0"

Well, as I suspected, my loss from yesterday came back. I was 209.3 yesterday and got my 25 lb badge, but it was back up today. But at least I saw that number- it's coming soon to stay! I got all my steps this week, except Sunday. I did not do the strength training. I've gotten a lot of great advice and made a plan to start. I've written a list of all the different exercises to do, but somehow I can't make myself start. I'll be in my own living room with no one else around. (Plan to wait until everyone is in bed.) It just seems very intimidating, even though I know it shouldn't be. Anyway, my goal yet again is to do strength training this week. Ok, not this week, I'll start with just today. I'll do it today, and then make a plan to do it again. Have a great day everyone!

Best Answer

@TT_is_me I know what you're going through. I'm so sorry you're having marriage trouble. It definitely makes it hard to care about weight loss when you're dealing with those problems. I don't know you personally, but you can know that I'll be praying for you! 

Best Answer

@ThatGreen,

Thanks for challenging me on this (smiling)! I don't remember ever picking my calorie deficit goal on fit-bit (maybe I did that at the very beginning, and I don't remember!). I thought I'd just enter my ultimate weight goal, and fit-bit would calculate the daily deficit necessary to reach it. I need to revisit that!  

Regards!

Best Answer

@Bogdel  You can set it to 'easy' 'moderate' and 'harder' (or some other gradation titles) and it will adjust your calorie goals. I've got mine set to 'harder' and it's a 1000 calorie deficit, and that's supposed to make me lose 2lb/week. If you need directions on how to set it, let us know. I'm sure we can find the path.

Best Answer

@Bogdel  I was so baffled for a second when you mentioned it because I almost wish I could do that. Actually that should be a feature. Fitbit recommending a plan based on how much you have to lose. I've seen so many people on MFP boards (and some here) that just cut their calories in half over night and expect to lose those last 10 lbs in a month and keep it off. So strange...

Different plan intensities in case anyone's curious:

caloriepla3.JPG

In freedom units they're 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2 lbs respectively.

The "estimated dates" are obviously mine. Luckily, my plan - harder plan because I have a lot to lose and I'm not hungry on my current calories - estimates I'll reach my goal for this challengeSmiley LOL

Ps. Does anyone know why the pictures uploaded to Fitbit boards are so bad quality? I feel like I may have seen other people's pictures turn out that way, but maybe it's just me?

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer

Oh I forgot earlier to have my YAY ME moment...lol. Today marks the one year anniversary of this lifestyle journey for my self. I had really hoped to make it to my 50 pound lose by this date due to MANY up and downs.. BUT I DID IT! YAY ME!!!

IN ONE YEAR I LOST 53.6 pounds..

I am so happy! Oh I guess you could tell..lol.

Now, I had my moment.... I have to get back to focusing on the future and get the rest of this weight off..lol. Shew still got a ways to go..but smiling while doing it, at least for today!

Best Answer

@HeartBiller  Congrats! That's amazing!Smiley Very Happy

tumblr_nwc336A1bO1u7gnm9o1_500

Best Answer

@HeartBiller WOOOHHOOOO!!! Congrats hun! That's such a great accomplishment. 

Best Answer

Whoops, almost forgot. Update #1:

CSW: 95.9 kg/211.4 lbs
CW: 93.9 kg/207 lbs
GWRange: 91.8 kg/202.4 lbs - 89.9 kg/198.2 lbs

I'm very happy with this week because I did so many things just right and I just hope I can keep it up.

Best Answer

@ThatGreen - thanks for the clarification.  I am actually on the 'Kinda Hard' scheme, but I certainly don't lose that amount of weight per week, not even in the space of the last challenge.  Makes me think I am doing something wrong.  Either way, I am eating healthy and not starving myself for a quick fix (which is what I have done in the past), but I would love to lose those numbers with my current calorie deficit.

@HeartBiller - congratulations!  That is something worth celebrating!

@_Lilac_ - I am worried about your knee.  Don't keep pushing it and listen to your body.  Have you thought about swimming?  As a side note - yay about your friend coming on the mall-round!  Small victories should also be celebrated.

@dancefoxtrot - haven't seen you on here for a while...everything ok?

Best Answer

@Ava_I'm happy you're eating well. Your body is definitely praising you for it.
I'm always really hard with myself on is not letting myself be hungry. I'd rather go over my "allowed" calories. Since I'm on the harder plan, I also work to eat so I'm not creating an even bigger deficit if I burn more than I expect.
If you're not on Trendweight, I recommend you try it. I just got on there a few days ago and it helps keep things in perspective. It takes your weight input from Fitbit, either from Aria (which also gives you bodyfat charts) or manual input. Over time it gets easier to see how much you lose per week.

If your numbers don't match up well with what you expect to lose, I could give you some pointers to sort it out if you'd like. I'm no expert by far, but my head works like a sponge when it comes to things I'm curious and want to learn more about, so I've read a lot about it and I'd be happy to helpSmiley Happy

Best Answer

@Ava_  When I started my weight loss journey I began by going to the local YMCA for aquafitness classes. It was a dream. No gravity, I burned a ton of calories, I was able to use my waterproofed fitbit in my suit...and I got 4000-5000 steps by doing it. When my loss slowed down I thought I should get into gravity to get more of a benefit from the workouts. Months and months later I developed this horrible knee and my mom has the exact same thing in the opposite knee. My theory is the crappy hard floors of the mall have caused it. When this happened, I returned to the pool initially and I was surprised that it got worse! The pushing and pulling of the water resistance on those muscles and tendons (or whatever) made me question whether the water was a good idea. I can't swim swim properly since I'm a beluga without much ability to do much more than float or kinda paddle on my side. So laps aren't in the equation. They have a heated therapy pool, which is super nice, but it's not a workout. What I was thinking is that I'd go to the pool in the morning and just try to keep that leg more still while working the rest of my body. I'm paying for a membership I'm not using and I'm thinking a 'change' will benefit me and get off those mall floors. I spoke to Mom about it and she has finally agreed to dress warmer so we can walk outside in the natural parks we have. Gravel paths, short hills, path around a lake will be so much better. I'll write tomorrow and let you know how the class goes.

Best Answer

@HeartBiller  I've tried to link a special celebration song for you but I'm not sure Fitbit will let me!! Hope it does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSkBsnfkFA

Best Answer