Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother's Day Challenge. Lose 20 by Mother's Day! Who is with me?

ANSWERED

Being involved in a challenge helps keep me motivated and it seems like it works for others too.  It also helps to have a goal and a deadline to get there.  Let's all get healthier for ourselves and for our families.  Let's do this for our kids, or our grandkids, or for our own mothers as well as for ourselves.  Come join me and let's do this!

Best Answer
442 REPLIES 442

Sure!  I want to lose about 60 pounds. I have lost this much before twice, but I am a terrible weight loss maintainer.  This time, I have tried to focus on being strong and healthy and not as much on the scale.  Also, think I am finally viewing my better eating as a life-style and not something to stop doing once I have lost the weight (at least that is the hope!).  I actually did stop dairy at the same time I started with the fitbit - right around New Year's Day.  I had been having terrible indigestion/acid reflux, and it has pretty much ended now. It also makes me cook a little cleaner as well - no cream sauces, no cheese, etc.  

I am tracking what I eat and trying to drink at least 80 ounces of water.  I started off at 6,000 steps, but now feel comfortable with setting 10,000 as my goal.  I do a lot of Walk it Out on the Wii since the weather has been so poor here.  Plus, just getting up and moving more.  I also started a flow yoga class last week to help reduce stress rather than just eat food to reduce that. 🙂  

Good luck to everyone else on this challenge with me!  Dana 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Alastra:

What helped me lose the 30 lbs from our previous challenge (lose 30 lbs by Christmas) was religuously checking my blood sugar with the blood glucose monitor for 3 weeks to find out what spiked my blood  sugar.  I am pre-diabetic and by keeping  my blood glucose less than 120  one hour after every meal seems to be the magic weight loss solution for me.  Surprisingly, rice, potatoes and plantains did not spike my blood glucose.  So I still eat those. What did me in were breads.  I woulb be in Whole Foods and buy one of their specialty loafs and by the time I got home, I would have demolished 3/4 of the loaf in the car.   I did not completely eliminate the bread but I am  more mindful to ensure that when I do have a slice of a loaf or a croissant, I always had some protein or fat with it.  I no longer have the desire to eat more than the one serving.    I still check my blood sugar but now less intensely (2-3 times a week).  In addition to my regular exercise, I also made sure to walk  for a minimum of 10 minutes after dinner. Before, I use to just sit & veg in front of the TV or the computer after dinner and eat a snack.  Somehow, the 10 minutes or so of walking staves of the munchies.  

I've always excercise before & always attempted to diet and would lose 5-10 lbs but the pounds would immediately come right back.  Now that I've kept the blood glucose below 120 and walking after dinner,  I still seem to be losing the weight.  I still have ways to go and the next 20 lbs by Mother Day is another milestone that I hope to achieve.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like I said, I just started with fitbit.  But my plan is to log all my food, track my activity, and hold myself accountable.  (Well, I'm hoping for some of that from you guys too).  I've been logging food for a while now, but haven't done it with calories too (just my own journal)-- and I admit I cheated sometimes.  But already today, the thought of writing it down stopped me from grabbing at something twice-- or had me make a better choice.

My overall goal is to lose 50 pounds.  I expect that to take a year.  Whenever I have lost weight quickly, it has returned.  I have made a lot of life-changes-- I know that I feel better with a lower carb, higher protein way of eating.  I seem unable to manage "just a bit" of processed carbs, so I kind of have to get rid of them all, as much as I can.  I have also felt better with less dairy-- I've cut back a lot, but still enjoy my daily (homemade) latte.

I'm in my mid-40s, so this is all harder now-- but I know it won't get any easier as I get even older, so I need to buckle down and do it now.

I like walking-- that's my exercise of choice.  My initial goal will be 10,000 steps per day, but with it being winter here, it might take me a little while to get up to that.  My other goals will be to get to the Y at least twice a week (for an hour), do the elliptical at home at least 2 more days per week... I'll increase these goals probably before this challenge is half-way over.

K

Best Answer
0 Votes

A little late to the party, but I'm in! This seems very doable. Good luck, everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good evening everyone! I hope y'all had a great day. I will, beginning on Monday, be logging all my food,water intake,exercise (weight lifting and cardio) and I hope to lose at least 1 lb a week... this way if I lose more than that pound, it will excite me enough to maintain my workout regiment.

I also want to note down how I'm feeling so that I can review all my notes on Sunday (rest day) and see if any changes need to be made?

I will try to enter my weekly regiment and workouts and provide y'all with the access to view what I'm doing, where Im at, my loss/gain, my goals and let you into my successes and failures. I really believe we can all gain something from others experiences.

Well, its time for me to walk and complete my 10000 steps, then hit the shower and then bed. Y'all have a great night. C u tomorrow!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like the idea of people writing what they are doing to lose weight and posting here for accountability.  I think the accountability piece is important to staying disciplined.

Craziness, we have some things in common.  I am also 5'3" and would like to get to 135.  I am about 170 now.  My wedding anniversary is May 9th and my birthday is May 16th so losing 20 by Mother's Day will be a good present to myself as well.  Also, I am missing my gall bladder too.  I appreciate your info about the ox bile to help with digestion.  I did that for a while and have gotten away from it lately.  I never had heard that about the oatmeal demonstration and it makes a lot of sense why they recommend taking it.  

Alastra, I try to walk 10K a day for exercise and I eat about 90% plant based diet.  I have cut out sugar, grains, dairy and processed foods and eat very little animal protein.  I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live "nutritarian" methods.  He recommends that you eat 1# of raw veggies, 1# of cooked veggies, 4 fruits, at least one cup of beans and an ounce of seeds and nuts a day.  He says greens are the most nutritious vegetable you can eat.  Berries are the best fruit.  I have a blueberry smoothie for breakfast and put chia seeds or hemp seeds in it;  A big green salad with a sprinkling of walnuts for lunch; and some kind of greens and beans and other cooked veggies for supper.  He discourages using any oil and I have learned to water sautee my veggies rather than use oil to sautee them.  I don't put oil on my salad but just sprinkle it with balsamic vinegar.   I also try to limit salt intake.  

I think one thing that I am not doing that I should try harder to do is increase my water intake.  I started the year out doing some core exercises and that has fallen off in the last week or so.  But I am meeting the 10K steps most days so feel good about that.  I am happy to report that I lost another pound and this puts me back to the 30 pounds mark where I was for Christmas.  So now, I can start counting any further losses towards the 20 for Mother's Day.  I hope to be at 150 by then.  

Best Answer
Hey, everybody! May I join? late, as usual......

I have about 30 lbs to lose, again, lol. So just now I started journaling my food.

A bit about me, since I am trying to catch up, assuming I will be accepted:

I work with horses, so I get a lot of activity through the day. 10K steps is NO problem. 30 minutes of activity is NO problem. Getting the scale to budge? Problem!! I do not think my diet is TOO bad, I am a WW life member, done it several times. I love vegetables, whole stuff, and refuse to put artificial stuff(sweeteners, fat-free, etc) in my mouth.

I lost 40 lbs with WW, and slowly put it on, although the bottom number was a trampoline, I cannot stay there. I am heavy boned, heavy muscled, 5'3 1/2, and when I weigh 140, I am a size 2 on the bottom, and 4 on the top. Everyone asks me if I am sick. So I have revised my goal to 150. Yesterday, I was 175.6.

Thanks, everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do track my food using the fitbit app and excercise at least 1 hour per day 7 times a week.  I try to maintain within the 1500-2000 calorie intake and do 30 mins on the thread mill jogging at an incline, 30 mins weight training.   There are some days i go to the gym in the am before work and then return in the evening after work.  As far as goals, i set smaller goals and accomplish them to keep me motivated.  Ultimate goal? get back to my old 185lb. 

On the healthy wagon back to 185lbs.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Success! Ive lost 3 lbs in a week. I did this with the help of my flex, tracking all my food diligently and increased exercise. Its cool to see calories in, calories out, and how much I should eat each day to get to my goal. Ive also cut the sugar, chocolate and carb intake drastically. I must say I also feel like stepping in place while cooking or standing around just to get closer to 10,000 steps in! Every little bit helps!

Love reading all the success stories and tips!

Best Answer

Welcome to the challenge Greentree.  Glad you will be joining us.  Also happy that you shared a little about yourself and wish you success in your weight loss goals.  Let us know how it goes as you work on losing the weight.

Jp8510 it sounds like a really good exercise plan.  Keep us posted how it goes.

Congratulations Ladyeliz on your 3 pounds lost in one week.  You are on your way!  Keep up the good work!  I also love reading everyone's posts.  It keeps me engaged and focused on the challenge

Tomorrow is my official weigh day where I see how much I have lost for the week but according to the scale today, I have finished losing the 4 pounds I gained after Christmas.  I have walked an hour a day and gotten over 10K every day this week except for Sunday.  Also have done better about not snacking at night (my problem time).  The last three nights I haven't had anything to eat after dinner.  I am eating about 1200 calories a day and burning about 2000 - 2200.  I will post my weight loss for the week tomorrow.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Shelley:) I just wanted to clarify that I take two supplements (1) ox bile and (2) a vegetarian based digestive enzyme

Ox bile is typically secreted from the liver and mimics our bile - those who had gallbladder removed cannot concentrate large amounts of bile so when eating a meal (specially high in fat) supplementing with bile can help digest the fats.

Most digestive enzymes are typically secreted from the pancreas - however vegetarian based enzymes will also be usable to break down food (or supplementing with animal based like pancreatin).

You need strong digestion to break down foods to absorb nutrients while at the same time reducing metabolic waste.
Weak digestion means less nutrients absorbed and more waste accumulation.  Since the body needs to work extra hard to detoxify the extra metabolic wastes it would need even more nutrients to do the job but without strong digestion it can't perform and overtime, toxicity arises.

So strngthening digestion is the basis for health - Betain HCL, bile, enzymes can all help if taken in right proportions, but even better is to provide nutrients that require no digestion so that they can be absorbed and the body make whatever it needs.

I have been taking Super Digestive Enzymes by Life Extension and the combination of the two has been great!  I use to have really bad acid reflux and always felt bloated.  Since taking them both, I am more comfortable and haven't had heartburn in months.

Long story, I know...

Also, OMGoodness, I can't believe all the similarities between you and I... that is Craziness:)  It is going to be a pleasure being on this journey with you and knowing that we have a similar goal, will push me harder and I hope that in May, we can celebrate our victory.

I want to share as much as I can with everyone and I promise to be honest with all I am doing (good/bad)  I have never let anyone into my personal life experience with weight as it is the most humilating thing for me but I am willing to expose it all so that I don't bottle anything inside that may trigger me going back to my old ways.

I may not login tomorrow because I want to make sure that all my meals are prepared and that I have all of my workouts scheduled as well as having my journals for each day (food/water/workouts/sleep). I will log everything on Sunday's for everyone to see, which will include my weight (gain/loss).  

Everything I will be doing will be either dumbells, straight bar, treadmill and an exercise ball.  I hope that when May comes around, I can post a before and after picture to let you see my progress. 

Well everyone, have a great evening and I will talk to you on Saturday.  Hopefully im not so chatty as this time around:)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Count me in i tried to do the 30 lbsby christmas and didnt hit i lost just not as much as i wanted. I feel off the wagon so to speak and didnt eat the best also not as much time at gym like i should. Now that the holiday excuese are gone and its a new year am going to tey again, need to lose about 40 total but think 20 is a good goal to try to hit for mothers day. And added support of others also helps keep me motivated
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am in as well.  I just bought the Fitbit Force and plan on losing weight safely.  I was a  formerly a 112 lb 5'4" long distance runner.  After my divorce, I stopped caring about fitness and health.  Now several years later, I was shocked to see 237 lbs on the scale.  After a bit of a pity party, I decided enough is enough. I am going to do something about.  Safely and sanely 🙂

Glad to read so many other's stories.

Lana

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the clarification, Craziness!

Welcome Lana and Kara!  This is a great time to get back on the wagon!  Glad you are joining us!

Okay, I weighed today and was disappointed because I put a pound back on overnight!  I am down 4/10ths of a pound from last Friday.  I have walked everyday for an hour and have mostly been on track with calories.  But Thursday night I ate cornbread with butter on it with my supper and I just can't do things like that.  I mostly do not eat any grains or breads because I tend to gain when I do.  Can't believe I undid that loss but live and learn (AGAIN!!).  I did better today so maybe it will fall off again quickly!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Shelley,

Since accountability seems to work for me I decided that Saturday morning would be a good time to review the week and get a bit more personal

I retired 3 years ago after 23 years as a Water Laboratory Technician.  It lasted 3 weeks and I was back out working as a Certified Pharmacy Technician.  I love my work but the hours are all over the clock which has gotten me on a weird meal plan.  if I work days I start at 8am and with no food allowed in the pharmacy I get sorta rabid hungry by lunch at 1:30.  I usually dont each much because of the time limits.  I have a 45 minute ride home at 4:30 and I'm hungry enough to snack on the steering wheel.  My husband is a fast food fanatic and our idea of a healthy dinner leaves us at odds.  If I work evenings I start at 1pm with lunch at 3:30pm so once again I am starving hungry at 7:30pm and too tired to cook at 8:30 so I snack my way around the kitchen.  Not good.  I tried to track my food for a week and it all seems to be an endless trail of small not very filling snacks or small meals.  I really feel like I have fallen off the healthy meals train and I can't seem to get back on.

I hate to ramble on but I really need some clues as to how to deal with crazy hours, a fast food junkie husband and WINTER!!! I really hate snow and winter.  Extra Vit D hasn't kicked in yet.

Thanks to everyone who posts. The encouragement is fantastic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Count me in. I started on the 6th of Jan, down 3 pounds as of this morning.  I am trying to gradually increase my daily steps back up to 10,000 after being a couch potato since the weather changed. (a rough winter here is the Chicago area). I have cut out the "white stuff", mainly low carb and portion control.  

Bev C

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Everyone!  Had a good week - lost 1.5 pounds - so very happy about that!  I'm trying to drink at least 80-100 ml of water each day, get in 10,000 steps and eat better.  Having dropped dairy at the beginning of the year has helped me so much - more energy, less congestion (I am highly allergic to lots of stuff), and no acid reflux still!  YEA!  My niece turned me onto some freezer slow cooker meals on http://www.mommysfabulousfinds.com/2013/10/easy-crock-pot-freezer-meals-2.html    So I made a lot one day and then just thaw the night before and then stick in crockpot before I go out.  I love having meals almost made for me and not much mess to clean up each night.  You can make the meals more nutritious or change things you don't like, etc., but a great starting place.  I think it is hard to work those kind of hours Jo, but hopefully this may help on those late nights when you are too tired to cook? 

Hey Shelley - maybe water weight due to too much sodium?  I would weigh myself the next day possibly and see if the gain has gone away.  Hope so! 

Good luck - let's have an awesome week!  Dana

Best Answer
0 Votes

15.4lbs down 🙂 but I'm on a special diet so I guess it's about right. Wanting to lose another 18lb by april so will keep going!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am down 4.8 lbs since Wednesday which I think is wonderfull but those numbers likely will not hold up  every few days.  I am likely heavier than most here.  At the beginning isn't it mostly water weight?  I have had major stomach issues for the last 2 years.  Since I have other food allergies, I swear it was food allergies.  Since I didn't have a doctor but used a walk-in clinic , I had to go through a litany of tests (for things like colon cancer) before finding my own doctor.  I am thankful I don't have any major illnesses.  But I do find it difficult to eat when I can't eat things like soy, wheat, dairy, nuts and potatoes.    I try to make the best of it by eating lots of veges and salads and fish but I wish I had more variety.   Bitter, party of one. Your table is ready. [Speaking for myself].

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, everyone.  I wanted Friday to be my weigh-in day, but I just started a few days ago and things haven't budged yet, so I'll use yesterday as my starting point and report on progress next week.  Heading out shortly to shovel our driveway-- a fairly hefty job-- will be interesting to see how my flex records that level of activity.  

I'm recording everything I eat-- probably cut stuff out already-- but was surprised to see an average of 1000 cal per day.  I know that's too low, so I need to figure out healthy ways to bring that up about 200 cals or so.

I had personalized comments based on others' posts-- but I didn't write names or details down, and now I forgot who is who.

Down 3 lbs-- CONGRATULATIONS!  Keep up the good work.

Down 4/10 of a pound-- don't beat yourself up-- you're doing something right because it's coming down, at least!

Special diet-- what are you following?  Specifically a weight loss plan, or trying to alleviate some medical condition or food sensitivity?

Have a great weekend!

K

Best Answer
0 Votes