Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother's Day Challenge. Lose 20 by Mother's Day! Who is with me?

ANSWERED

Being involved in a challenge helps keep me motivated and it seems like it works for others too.  It also helps to have a goal and a deadline to get there.  Let's all get healthier for ourselves and for our families.  Let's do this for our kids, or our grandkids, or for our own mothers as well as for ourselves.  Come join me and let's do this!

Best Answer
442 REPLIES 442

I agree on the goal setting.  I put my end result goal in and it looked like a huge number.  I am one of those people who is in the Obesity 2 Class.  So my first goal is to get into Obesity 1 Class.   I know it is going to take a lot of hard work and really watching what I eat but I am finally prepared to do it.  

I agree Shelly,  "Let's all get healthier for ourselves and for our families".  Thanks for all the support that I have received so far even though it has been less than a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I enjoy reading all of your posts.  I have been a big Weight Watchers person in the past so have had the support of a weekly group.  Unfortunately, although I have done very well losing weight on WW, I don't do very well maintaining it.  So I am hoping that because I haven't gone on a "diet" (know that WW is not really a diet, but a way of life, but I always seem to still treat it as something I go on and off.)  that this time will stick.  I guess that was all background to say that I am so happy that I have all of you in this group for support.  

One thing that I have found that helps my sweet tooth are pitted dates. I found some at Costco that are organic even.  One serving of those with some tea, and I am good for the night.  

I found a left-over unopened bag of peppermint M&Ms today while cleaning out my study (which doubled as my Christmas staging area).  I love, love, love these.  So what did I do?  Tossed them away!  Thought I should give them away, etc., but knew that if they stayed, I would bust into them.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have closer to 75lbs to lose... but I would really love to join the group. After all, 20 is the way to 70, right?

I'm signed up for the SF Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and am a little freaked out at the distances involved with that. It is in July and I have time, I know, but I'm walking 10k-14k steps/day now. I have no idea how I'll get up to 26 miles in a day!

Please consider supporting the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. We CAN fight this deadly disease! I'm walking in SF in July and would be grateful for your support. http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk/SanFrancisco?px=7475438&pg=personal&fr_id=2364
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome Los Gatos Laura!  Many of us have more to lose than just 20 but it helps to break it up into smaller goals and have some successes along the way.  Walking for 26 miles is totally intimidating to me.  But being in the walk with all the other people may be really exciting.  And you can walk however far you feel you can without hurting yourself.  It sounds like a good and inspirational goal!

Good for you Dana on throwing out the candy!  Good self care!

Best Answer

Good morning all.

I hope everyone had a good Wednesday.   I took a good look around my kitchen yesterday and noticed the large number of crappy food choices that I have.  Since I can not eat many things due to allergies, I was having potato chips as treat for myself.  Then I got my allergies re-tested and I am allergic to potatoes.   I don't want to eat white rice and can not have wheat.   I am using vegetables as my carbs but they don't always keep me full.  Quinoa is good but does anyone else have some ideas that aren't sodium heavy? (ie beans)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds great.  20 in 3 months is a little tricky for me but if I shoot for the moon, i could land in the stars!!!

I am in.  Going to kick start my weight loss this coming week with a very very low carb diet for 7 days.  I have a hypothyroid so I have to give a bit more effort to get it to budge!  I am going to be a 20 lb. lighter mother!

Best Answer
Wow, congratulations to everyone !!

I still have not gotten anything to budge. I am averaging 16,000 steps a day(this is a normal day for me....not doing any "exercise"), and I get 72 active minutes, whatever that is. I work with horses, so I am normally active, and I only sit down to eat and post a few things here and there. I crash into bed at night, and don't wake up unless a hot flash hits, but usually go right back to sleep.

I am trying to give up my occasional glass of wine. I like it, and like the tiny buzz, but I actually feel better without it. I have a low tolerance for the alcohol, and 2 glasses makes me feel funny(not HaHa...) and I don't like that feeling!! Control freak, I guess!!! I don't like being out of control!

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello All,

I'm coming in a little late but would like to join! I've got about 95 lbs to lose so 20 lbs by May 11th seems very doable. 🙂 I'm always open to adding new friends on here if anyone needs more fitbit buddies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

formerlyfit:  I haven't found any carbs that keep me full.....  Even with beans, it's the protein that keeps you full.  If you can always have protein with your carbs, it will most likely keep you fuller longer.  All-natural nut butters, nuts, cheese...  some pretty high cal options, but you don't need a lot.  Not knowing what your allergies are, it's hard to know what to recommend.  Quinoa with almonds (a sort of pilaf) is good...  I like to keep hard boilied eggs in fridge; I have roasted almonds (roasted at home, no salt) at my desk, some people go around with cheese sticks.  Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have allergies to soy, dairy, wheat, nuts and potatoes.  Those are the big ones.  I also deal with oral allergy syndrome which has put me into the hospital.  My mouth gets very itchy  when eating things like apples, plums, pears and even some time with celery and carrots.  All in their raw format. 

I do love hard boiled eggs though.   I think I need to start making more soups and chili.  Cutting out wheat is what is leaving me hungry.  I can eat corn though.. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in! I'm starting later than everyone else and I don't have quite 20lbs to loose but who cares about the details. I'm a mom of 2 small kids and have a part time job. It's tough for me to figure out how to work in exercise regularly but I really need to and I'm motivated to make it a habit. A goal of weight loss by mother's day is great. Look forward to making it happen!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So true Mellow.

We all have the same goals.  To lose.  I don't think it really matters the number, we all have the same drive. 

I have only been on the site for one week but I found reading posts helps me relate to others on this site.  We all want to be more healthy.  So this is great place to be!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What a great challenge...count me in (better late than never)!  I'm a busy mom of 4 and just received my fitbit a few days ago.  With nearly 100 lbs to lose, I'm finding that the fitbit, online tools and community are great resources.  Good luck everyone!

Ronnie

Best Answer
0 Votes

Formerly fit, it sounds hard with so many allergies.  I don't eat gluten, sugar, refined foods, dairy or grains.  And I eat very little animal protein.  But I still have lots of other things to eat.  I eat mostly vegan and follow the Dr. Fuhrman Eat to Live plan.  He has three plans and I follow the strictest one for the fastest weight loss.  It is basically to eat 1 pound of raw veggies a day, 1 pound of cooked veggies, at least one cup of beans, 4 fruits, and 1 oz of nuts or seeds.  If you want to season your food with meat you can or eat a tiny bit on the side but limit it to a few times a week instead of every meal.  There is no dairy and no grains until reaching goal weight.  The way I do this is I make a green smoothie with chia or hemp seeds added in the morning for breakfast, a big green salad with some walnuts and avacado for healthy fats, and for supper I have my beans and some greens and other veggies.  With this plan I am rarely hungry between meals even though I am not eating a lot of fat or meat.  This plan also calls for no sugar, no salt and no oil.  I haven't been able to get myself to give up salt completely.  But I do limit it and try to eat Himmalayan salt instead of the Morton's kind which is supposed to be worse for you.    I find if I eat grains or sugar, it makes me ravenously hungry.  As long as I stay away from those, I am fine.  Sometimes I make a sauce out of cashews or seseme tahini to put on my greens.  You would think the fat and calories would make me gain but as long as I keep the nut and seed eating to a mininum and mixed with meals, it doesn't seem to intefere with weight loss.  But snacking on nuts and nut butters does intefere.  Last night I went out to dinner and ordered a meal with salmon and quinoa for supper.  Both are things I have not been eating.  As typically happens after eating grains, I felt hungry after supper and so I thought I would eat just a few pumpkin seeds.  But once I started I could not stop.  I ended up weighing 1.5 pounds heavier this morning.  My biggest challenge to weight loss seems to happen when I cheat on the plan.  Seems as long as I follow the plan, I do lose weight.  If you can't eat any nuts, can you eat seeds?  Hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax seeds all are high in omega 3 fatty acids.  Flax seeds have to be ground up first but the hemp and chia you can sprinkle on food or mix in a smoothie.  The fats help with satiety.  Well...hang in there and keep experimenting.  You will eventually figure out the things that work for you!

Best Answer

Welcome the the challenge Mellow Crunch and Armisryan!  Keep us posted on how things are going for you.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

From last Friday's weight, I have lost 2.9 pounds.  Two of those count towards my lose 20 pounds goal.  The other is still part of getting the holiday weight I gained back off.  So now I have 18 more pounds to go for our challenge.  Yea!!  I walked for exercise all but one day and most of those days got around an hour in on the walk.  Only ate out one time so was able to manage my food pretty well (except for the pumpkin seed binge!).  We have 15 more weeks to go on the challenge so I only have to lose 1.2 a week to meet it.  I think I will be able to do it!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am down 10.4 pounds since last Thursday.  That is a big number but I don't expect it happen very often.  I have been more active and really paying attention to what I eat.  Shelley, I hear you about the salt.  I am really trying to avoid it.  

I have made some very interesting soups.  Like curried butternut squash and a zucchini soup.  The last one sounds horrible but let me tell you it was so tasty. It was made with light chicken stock so not totally vegetarian.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yum!  The soups sound great, Formerly Fit!  I have never tried a zuchini soup before but love butternut squash soup!  And wow more than 10 pounds in a week!!  All that movement and eating healthy is getting your body to shed!!  You are half way to the goal for the challenge and this early in the game, you will exceed it if you stick with it!  Please know you can still hang with us even if you pass the goal by.  I have already lost 30 pounds since I got the fitbit and with this challenge am working on the next 20.  It came off faster in the beginning for me and is slower now.  I will probably make my next challenge even slower.  I will still have 25 to go after I meet this challenge.  I know that having others to interact with in the forums helps me to stay engaged and focused which are key to sticking with it!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

This might sound silly Ann, but in addition to swimming, you can lay on the bed or floor and "pedal".  Good excercise when you can't go to the pool.  Happy Healing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know if this will work for you or not but here is a quick dish I make.  Rinse one can of beans.  Saute some garlic or onion or both in a pot.  Add beans, 1 can of petite diced tomatoes. Heat through.   Season to your taste and sodium requirements.  Split batch into two bowls.  Add a cup of cooked quinoa  or a 1/2 cooked rice to each bowl.  I season with a little Frank's hot sauce.  A vegetarian version of red beans and rice!  I use whatever type of bean appeals to me at the time.  Sometimes I will add sliced turkey sausage or lean ham to the saute.  you can skip the onion garlic if you wish.   

Best Answer
0 Votes