Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Motivation Again to drop 70+ lbs..

ANSWERED

Hello I am a mother of three..after having my son I've gained 30+ lbs and the scale just keeps going up. I use to workout 4/5 times a week..30 min. to a hour..and at my lowest was 140 lbs. Lately I just haven't been motivated like before. I know what I should and shouldn't eat but I just can't get myself to just STOP and start eating healthy and get back on track working out again to at least 3 times a week and working myself up again. I know I can do it since I am a stay at home mom and before I made time when I was working before my son. 

Guess if I have someone to keep my countable it may help..

NEED MY MOTIVATION BACK..

I WANT TO BE FIT..HEALTHY AND LEAN. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Why do you want to lose weight?  When I started, I made a list.  It included things like fit into skinny jeans, wear a little black dress, etc.  Those are external things, and superficial things, but they count.  I also listed things like being healthy, being strong, aging without become frail or sickly, being there for my family, not getting a major disease, being able to dance more, etc.  I listed things I wanted to do more easily, things that were at the core of what my life is about.

Whenever I feel my motivation flag, I look at the list and there is something on it that is meaningful that day.  Sometimes I just look first thing in the morning to get myself focused.  

Motivation is an emotion and mindset.  It comes and goes like all other emotions do.  It is not to be counted on.

I feel strongly that motivation is great to get started, but at some point we need two things - it has to be internal, not dependent on how we look or pleasing others.  And it has to be replaced by habit.  Living well has to become reward in itself.  We have to believe we deserve it, we have to deal with our feelings without food, we have to change our thinking that keeps us stuck.  And we have to work at developing different habits.  You have to act like you are worth it and be that model for your children.

It is tough to get there as we set up so many roadblocks, but that is where the support comes in - to help us get around our roadblocks.

So, decide what you want.  It's tough, but you have kids.  So I know you have done harder things.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

You can do it. You just need to set your goals and go for it.

Accountability comes from you. Alot of people can help you. But you need to help yourself first

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

A couple of remarks: 1) weight loss isn’t primarily about what you should and shouldn’t eat, but how much you can eat, 2) nutrition usually plays a bigger role than exercise, so if you are short on time (which I can understand, with three young kids), it’s going to be more effective to focus on your intake.

Otherwise I agree with @WendyB that accountability is key and the motivation must come from you. Do check the Weekly Weigh in thread in this forum: some people there have achieved truly amazing results.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I agree, motivation does come from within. A good support system helps a lot, but ultimately it's up to you to keep going. 

The first step is always the most difficult. This is the point where being motivated helps you make those initial changes. But, motivation comes and goes. As you start losing weight, some days you will be pumped and ready to move mountains. Other days it will be more of a challenge. That's where discipline comes in. Some days I really dread doing my workouts - I am tired or lacking energy or who knows what - but, there they are written on my calendar and I suck it up and do it. Interestingly, no matter how unmotivated I may be to start, I always feel much better when I am done and very glad that I stuck to my schedule. 

So, maybe you can take out your calendar and start making a plan. Schedule light exercise during the times that you are free. It doesn't have to be anything fancy - a 10 minute walk, a short circuit of body-weight exercises, a nice stretching session. Pick what you like, go slow and stick to the schedule. This will help build an exercise habit that you will expand upon once you are ready. 

As far as food goes, there are so many approaches to weight loss. What has worked for you before? Start with what you know works and go from there. What types of foods are difficult for you to give up? My suggestion is to try and incorporate them into your meal plan. An alternative is to go cold turkey and eliminate temptations completely. People have had success with both approaches. It all depends on what works for you! 

Good luck and come back to keep us updated on your progress!

Best Answer

Why do you want to lose weight?  When I started, I made a list.  It included things like fit into skinny jeans, wear a little black dress, etc.  Those are external things, and superficial things, but they count.  I also listed things like being healthy, being strong, aging without become frail or sickly, being there for my family, not getting a major disease, being able to dance more, etc.  I listed things I wanted to do more easily, things that were at the core of what my life is about.

Whenever I feel my motivation flag, I look at the list and there is something on it that is meaningful that day.  Sometimes I just look first thing in the morning to get myself focused.  

Motivation is an emotion and mindset.  It comes and goes like all other emotions do.  It is not to be counted on.

I feel strongly that motivation is great to get started, but at some point we need two things - it has to be internal, not dependent on how we look or pleasing others.  And it has to be replaced by habit.  Living well has to become reward in itself.  We have to believe we deserve it, we have to deal with our feelings without food, we have to change our thinking that keeps us stuck.  And we have to work at developing different habits.  You have to act like you are worth it and be that model for your children.

It is tough to get there as we set up so many roadblocks, but that is where the support comes in - to help us get around our roadblocks.

So, decide what you want.  It's tough, but you have kids.  So I know you have done harder things.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

Thank you so much..I worked out today with PiYo..it was only 20 minutes but I broke a sweat..and I felt so much better after and I drank a shake before that..and a snack was Almond butter and a apple..barbecue chicken breasts with corn and mashed potatoes..but I kind of slept in so I started eating late..but tomorrow is a brand new day. 

I will definitely take you up on my Why do I want to lose weight. 

Thank you for your advice.

Best Answer

Yes that is very true..I actually started today with PiYo..I'm going to start off slow and slowly start my workout regime like I once did. I have weaknesses one being chocolate..omgahh.. my favorite would have to be snickers and Rocher Ferrero.. and my mothers cooking.. her Mexican rice... and this is the year of tamales in my family..and being that we actually know how to make them and we did make some..it hard when i can smell them cooking..it is a weakness of mine. 

I can cook healthy though and I have had to cook my foods separate from my kids, husband since they are pretty picky eaters..but I am determined.

I've lost 10 lbs. in a month in the past so I know I am able to lose weight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

thank you so much..and yes it is hard with the kids but 2 of them are at school so I only have my son. I started working out today with PiYo and he joined me..lol

I ate better today but I'll do better tomorrow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Wendy and slowly but surely I will get to my goal..I worked out today and I ate a little bit healthier. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Find Susan Peirce Thompson and her work at Bright Line Eating. Her work and mindset has helped thousands of overweight, obese, compulsive eaters lose large amounts of fat and KEEP it off.  There you will find all the knowledge and support you need to be successful. Bright Line Eating is for people who WANT to lose weight, not for people who NEED it.   PS: while you're in the weight loss phase, lots of exercise is not recommended. Go find out why. Be happy, thin and free!  I found Susan and her work one week ago today, and am feeling my life transform immediately.

Best Answer
0 Votes