Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perimenopause

I'm a 41 year old woman experiencing perimenopause.  I'm looking for other women who are experiencing perimenopause as well so we can help support eachother through this roller coaster ride.

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178
I definitely understand. After two years of extreme anxiety I finally feel somewhat like my former self.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have tried a few different things, all naturopathic. There is no manic bullet but what I has helped me is adaptogenic herb ashwaganda, and b complex vitamins. I’ve recently added black currant oil so I’ll have more to say on that in about three weeks. Lots of trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

klane118 : I am very interested in grouping up, but I find it a bit challenging navigating the site trying to find this thread.  Is there an easy way to keep track of a thread or a group on here or is it better to get a FB group going?  I have pounds that I'm ready to get rid of, but really need the support to trouble shoot any issues that come up that I had no explanation for. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 48 years old and have an a real hard time with perimenopause. Low back pain PMS symptoms times 10 menstrual headaches fatigue. I was wondering if anyone had an ablation and it helps with the paint and PMS symptoms. I was having problems with bleeding but for the last three months it has been better since I figured out it was a Kenalog shot that missed my period is up. Any help would be appreciated because I do have an ablation scheduled for this Friday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 48 years old with all the symptoms of perimenopause and PMS times 10 and bad low back pain with some increased bleeding. I am scheduled for an ablation this Friday and was wondering if anybody had success with PMS symptoms becoming better

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! I'm 42 yo mother of one child who is 20. I think I started my perimenopause symptoms 2 years ago. This year in February 2018 my heart has started racing into severe tachycardia. Even on a beta blocker! Scares me like crazy because I'm getting these episodes multiple times a day and night now. I'm thinking it is hot flashes that starts them. I'll feel a little warm, hands get hot, heart goes fast and hard and it'll last about 15 minutes. Then it'll fade and I'll be so cold afterwards. My hands will be like ice!!

Has anyone else experience these symptoms??

Best Answer
0 Votes
I certainly have. I’m 43 and soon to be done hopefully! You name it I’ve
dealt with it. Anxiety and heart palpations wee probably my worst
symptoms. Oh and then there was the insomnia and irritating ear ringing!
I’ve only had three periods in all of 2018. Before peri I was SO regular
with no missed periods except for pregnancy. Compared to three years ago I
feel 100% better. It does get better...I promise.
Best Answer

That's a relief to read. Did your heart rate jump up crazy, like to 168bpm?? I've been dealing with that crazy fast heart rate practically daily since November 12th. First tachycardia event like this was back in February of tbis year, which I was rushed to the ER. This was after 2 straight months of horrible heavy menstrual periods. The ER sent me home falsely saying I had hyperthyroidism. Nope! My Endo back jn may 2018 said I had elevated LH and FSH levels but estrogen was still somewhat normal so he diagnosed me with perimenopause. He was adamant that perimenopause will not cause heart palpitations so I continued with my cardiologist route.

After Ekgs, echocardiogram, stress tests, my cardiologist said I have a heart of a teenager!! Great news.... But why am I getting these horrible tachycardia events? He put Mr I holter monitor for 2 different periods of time. April showed mild PVC's and PACs which I think has gone away since I took care of my low iron anemia. Second round of holter monitor showed a lot more tachycardia events. So now he's referring me to an electrophysiologist. I'm hoping to hear from other women that they have gone through the same type of fast heart rate like me (or are going through it now) and any tips on what to help!! 

I had a lot of heart skipping which we found out was due up severe low iron anemia. That has stopped but the extreme tachycardia events started again with a horrible vengeance in November! I'm on metoprolol and my hr STILL jumps up so high. I just don't think this is normal perimenopause/menopause hr increases?? 

Did any of you take anything to help with peri/menopause symptoms? My PCP wants me to try ventafixine but I'm not going to take it because of all the side effects and withdrawal symptoms. 

My PCP had me do blood work to check for LH, FSH, TSH and even magnesium and vitamin D. Hoping to get answers. This morning my tachycardia event jumped to 168 but only lasted a few minutes. I chugged down some cold water and that seemed to help. I'm not dehydrated though! I check my urine constantly throughout day. Is that maybe because it was a hot flash and my body was just overheating too much and the cold water calmed both the heat which calmed the heart??

Please forgive me for the long post! I'm just tired of not knowing what is going on... I say "Knowledge is Power" and that is so true especially for our health. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

How did your ablation go? How are toy felling now??

Is this a cardiac ablation? I'm curious as to why you had this done...? Forgive my late reply! I'm going through a horrible time and not sure if my heart issues is related to perimenopause or what it is... 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t believe I have gotten up to 168 but maybe 125 or so. I am not a
doctor so I can’t hive medical advice. I will say all Women’s journeys are
different. I was prescribed anti depressants and all but I refused to take
them. Don’t get me wrong some fats I would have taken anything but I
learned to just calm myself down. Of everything I have tried I would
suggest maca which helps to balance your hormones and CBD oil for anxiety.
I promise you it does get better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, im 43 and been suffering from this peri thing for about 5 yrs now. Can you all share with me your anxiety issues your deal or dealt with?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi! I’m about three years in and I had anxiety so bad I couldn’t even
eat! I was on herbal supplements to help curb some of it. I now feel more
like myself than I have in a few years. It will get better!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I am starting, I am 48yrs old.

There are changes I have never experienced before such as randomly experiencing cramping throughout the month. In the past, I only had cramps the first few days of a period.

PMS has become more intense. Bad cramps, extra strength advil is no longer working at all. I carry on with my day at work but when you are in severe physical pain and not feeling well my coworkers notice, especially because we work long hours together. Coworkers know when you are not yourself even when you try to hide it.

I'm scheduled for an ultrasound in Jan.

Periods have become heavier.
I used to be very regular, I was over 2 weeks late last month. Back on schedule this month.
I was on the mirena IUD. Was spotting, after one year I had heavy periods for 3 weeks every  month. Had IUD taken out. Problem immediately went away. No longer on any birth control and doctor will not prescribe it to me for health reasons.

I have gained significant amount of weight in my 40s but that is due to lifestyle and diet I think.

I cleaned up my diet by eliminating most processed food. It's helping! It's only been a month but so far I've had no migraines and my cramps were not as bad. Extra strength advil was effective and I no longer take the maximum daily dose.

I was in so much pain and misery it has motivated me to stay on track with my new dietary plan.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just in case anyone reads this and hasn't tried it yet, try Turmeric. Make sure you check Amazon and pick the one with the best reviews. Many people have claimed that Turmeric helps in perimenopause and menopause systems as it's anti-inflammatory. I'll be 41 next month. Unfortunately, after about a year of on and off again periods randomly starting and stopping and then spotting, I hit a patch (where I am now) where I've had my period for nearly 2 months S_T_R_A_I_G_H_T.  Heavy, awful and nothing like what I was ever used to. I went on the birth control that's supposed to stop your period (I'm not sexually active) and it's been nearly 4 weeks and it didn't help at all. For some reason, the last 3 days awful cramps have started, none of my usual Midol type products were even slightly working. Terrible cramping for 3 straight days. I became desperate tonight and took 2 tsp of Prednisone I had that hadn't expired  yet and the cramps have gone 99% within 30 minutes of taking it. I am hoping the Turmeric works, so I don't become desperate enough to use Prednisone again, but give it a try. That review I read about it is what made me try anti-inflammatory something and that has helped me a great deal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi FLgirl004! I was struck how similar my story is to yours. How's your 2 month period going now? I'm 45. Over the last year, I've had irregular periods and brown spotting in between. I had a pap test (normal). My doctor put me on a low dose birth control pill. It did help a little, but this month has been bad again. I've been spotting/bleeding for the last 2 weeks, and my actual period shouldn't start until next week. I've always had issues with spotting/bleeding between periods and after sex. I've always had normal pap tests. My doctor has said that the positioning of my cervix was the cause when I'm younger. Now that I'm in perimenopause, I'm also bleeding for THAT reason too. Double whammy. I'm worried that I'm just going to be bleeding all the time now until I reach menopause. I wondered how the turmeric has worked for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, it didn't help much so I gave up and went to my doctor. I'm glad I did because he found a cyst on my ovary and several fibriods. He said I am not perimenopause and gave me a depo shot. My period stopped a few hours afterwards. I can't believe how easy it was and honestly I feel silly for trying to solve it myself. I stopped taking all of the supplements too so I guess he was right and it helped me so much. You should ask your doctor about Depo shot. It didn't hurt, lasts 3 months, and no side effects (except a little dizziness and sleepiness) so I'm hoping my body gets used to it soon. 🙂  Anything is better than 2 months of my special friend lol.  He told me I probably wouldn't get a period at all on Depo. I hope he's right! If you try it, let me know if it helps!

Best Answer
Hi! I’m no longer taking the turmeric. My symptoms have eased up a ton.
I still have the irregular periods. I only had four periods for all of
2018. I have not had prolonged bleeding or spotting between periods. You
could probably try vitex which helps regulate periods.
Best Answer

I am a 57 yr old mother of 2 teenagers.( I had my first child at 42 and my second at 45).

I hit menopause about with hot flashes , night sweats irritability and weight gain despite  exercising almost daily doing cardio and weights.   I never had a problem with weight  before at 5’8”and 135 lbs, now I cant budge the scale off 172.  The one thing that has helped lessen the symptoms of my night sweats tremendously though is black cohosh. My OB suggested  that I try it and it has been giving me some relief from my hot summer nights in the dead of winter

Best Answer

I've heard about black cohosh and once we figure out of this tumor on my adrenal gland is active or not, going to try black cohosh. Do you take this in a pill form? What's the amount of grams? I'm so scared to try anything new so I research like crazy while it sits on my nightstand for two weeks until I can finally convince myself it'll be okay... Big chicken I am!

Best Answer
0 Votes

As soon as I entered perimenopause, I developed depression with psychosis. I’ve been going through this for 9 years. Just hoping someone says that it’s over as soon as menopause hits. 

Best Answer
0 Votes