Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting Smoking and Not Losing Any Weight

If you recently quit smoking and cannot lose a single pound, read on!

A few months ago, I wasn't sure that I would be prepared or willing to changing at all. Ever. I really liked smoking and eating. Or eating and smoking - either way.

I guess it started on my last birthday, when I said I would quit and told everyone. Then I kept smoking and didn't even attempt it, but kept promising that I would at least try. Christmas came and went. Then New Years (what a good time for a resolution, but who wants to fall victim to resolutions. Aren't they so dumb?!), and then finally, my daughter's birthday in February. Faced with the request to quit smoking from my 5 year old sucked. She asked me so sweetly.

I bought an e-cig (which you should get if you are still smoking) and kicked it around for a while. I half assed my resolve to quit and clung to my cigarettes. But then one morning, I didn't have any left and I have never had another one. I kept it up with the e-cig for about a month until I realized that I wasn't even really smoking the thing anymore. So, I stopped - that was over 3 months ago now. Yay me!

During that time and against my better judgment, I weighed myself. You may not be surprised to know that I didn’t like the number, and I certainly didn’t want it to go up. I started a healthy eating regimen. Mother’s day came and my wonderful husband bought me a fitbit! The best present I have ever received – it has totally changed my life.

My excuse has always been that I am a busy, working mother – I have no time to work out! The fitbit suddenly made me aware of all the extra time I was wasting by sitting on the couch or not walking the dog.

So, after all of these actions: quitting smoking, changing my eating habits, reducing calories by a minimum of -1000/day, walking 10,000+ steps a day, I cannot lose a single pound.

I want everyone out there who is struggling as I am to know they are not alone. It is the worst feeling. After researching many, many hours, it is very hard to find information about this problem. Many websites discuss weight gain after smoking, but don’t explain why it happens. Or they estimate that your metabolism slows by an average of 200 calories a day. If that were true, I would still be losing weight. Many forums that I have found with a history of similar questions/comments being made about quitting and not losing are followed by a huge number of people saying it’s not true. It’s what you’re eating. It’s because you are not exercising enough. They just quit smoking and have been losing weight no problem.

Well, I’m not imagining things and you aren’t either if you are still reading along. I’ve found out that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your metabolism to recover. I’m sure this varies from person to person. I’m hoping I’m around the 6 month mark!

Let’s use this discussion to post new information or strategies on how to increase our metabolism again and to make it through without having to pick up another cigarette!

AUG 2017 UPDATE!!

I see that people are still responding to this post, so I thought I would update it. It's been over 3 years since writing it, and a lot has changed for me. First of all, my body has healed and I can now lose weight normally again! For a while there, I sort of gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen and I decided to give my body a rest. I would say that it took 2 years from the time I quit to where my body started functioning normally again. I highly recommend taking probiotics (24-48 billion) per day, as I believe this would have helped me with my gut bacteria even faster. I still take probiotics everyday now. I made some half hearted attempts at weight loss during then and now, which were mildly successful and only failed because I stopped. Now I'm down 27lbs after 4 months of keto and feel great.

For all of those just starting the non-smoking life, be patient. I know it's hard, but you will recover. You will flourish and you'll be healthier than you've ever been before! Give yourself time to heal. The body is amazing, just think of how long you've been smoking and how short a time it will take to heal from that. Amazing!

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

How much weight did you gain if you don't mind me asking? I've gained 10lbs and it won't move. The doctors insist it's what I'm eating. So, I did a week food and exercise diary (literally starved at 800 calories and ran everyday) and GAINED WEIGHT. When I went to the doctor they were insisting I'd not done my diary correctly but the. SAId 800 calories isn't starving and will Ben responsible for my slow metabolism ! I could've cried in frustration ! I do not starve myself but just for that week to prove I wasn't over eating I did the extreme. I'm so happy to know I'm not alone and people's positivity on here keeps me going xxxx

Best Answer
After quitting, I experienced so many horrible physical changes. The
gaining weight was one of the worst. I would estimate 15-20lbs were
gained. However, I was also dealing with horrific stomach issues. After a
year and a half of being told it was due to quitting smoking, I was
depressed...blah blah blah. It turned out I had a non functioning gall
bladder and was simultaneously diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Six
months later I had a collapsed disc in my neck. Sadly after a year and half
I did start smoking again. It isn't an excuse but all of the issues were
too much for me. I am no where near where I want to be weight wise. But
now I have other challenges with medications, physical limitations due to
the RA etc. It will always be a work in progress. Good luck!
Best Answer

Hey where did you read that? I had my thyroid tested after quitting and my hormones levels had dropped significantly but the doctor said it was fine? 

Best Answer

Holly886 I have gained about 8 pounds and it has been 40 days. I have stayed the exact same on the scale the last 3 weeks. And I am eating within my points, getting my steps in, and have even done a few workouts on The Daily Burn. It is BS when people tell you it's what you are eating. Everyone is different and our bodies all do what they do individually. Just a little trick I learned from WW though: If you are working out that much, you need to eat more or you will gain. 800 calories is way too little even without working out. I used to lose better when I dipped into my extra points and had "cheat day". All my WW ladies who quit smoking have all said the same thing: it absolutely takes a while for your body to heal/adjust.  I'm hanging in there and hoping it kicks in gear soon!

Best Answer
I agree it's way too little calories. I was just annoyed that the doctor had told me I must be eating to much and exercising too little. Let's keep each other updated? I'd love to know what happened with all these people , whether they went back to smoking or continued and eventually went back to normal. It is a tough pill to swallow when you're eating healthy and look like a baby whale 😞 I'm aware that sometimes I over eat, but I feel starving hungry all day I never get the full signal anymore.
Please stay in touch xx

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I will definitely keep in touch on this thread with my updates! I weigh in weekly on WW, so we'll see if and when it starts coming off again. 

Best Answer
I just started WW last week, I lost 4 lbs in week 1, see how it goes from there. 1 year smoke free hope my metabolism is starting to mend.

Rochelle
Sent from my iPhone
Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.
Best Answer

Wow congratulations !! I'd like to try weight watchers too.

did you put on a lot of weight when you quit? Did you try to lose weight before but it was stubborn like mine? 

I cant wait to be at the stage you're at. I've always been so healthy , but a smelly skinny smoker. But i was a better mummy. Now I'm a fat lazy moody slob 

Best Answer

Oh my gosh I'm so happy to find this thread! About 3 years ago, I decided I'd had it and started exercising most days and tracking my food. I lost 20 lbs pretty easily and was thrilled! Then, I made the decision that after 39 years, it was finally time to quit smoking. I used Chantix and while it sucked, I did it. A week after I quit, we found out that my mom had lung cancer and only a few months to live. Between the smoking and my mom, I allowed myself to wallow in self pity and gave up exercising and eating right and promptly gained 30 pounds over the course of 6 months. The weight definitely came back differently than it left, with lots of lumps all over my thighs and mid section :(. New Years rolled around and I decided that was it. January 1 I went back to my exercise regimen and tracking my food and lost NOTHING...for a whole year.  So discouraging, but I kept at it, trying all kinds of stuff, exercising more, eating less, eating more, more protein, less carbs...nothing worked. I went to my doctor who ran a full thyroid panel to see if that might have anything to do with it. It didn't. Knowing how discouraged I've been, my husband bought me my fitbit for Christmas and I got it going a few weeks ago. I've upped my exercise to over an hour every morning, still tracking food, and still nothing is happening with my weight, but I feel like things are tightening up anyway. I'm currently at 1 year, 9 months and 2 days smoke free, so I'm really hoping, that as others have said, it takes a couple of years for your body to get back to working as it should. Reading others' posts makes me feel better anyway!! The weight might not be falling off, but at least we're working on improving ourselves and that's something to be proud of!

Update

So I'm maintaining the 1,000 calorie daily deficit and doing 9 miles every morning on my elliptical. Since reading the first post in this thread I have also started taking daily probiotics and I lost 3 lbs last week, and not in the bathroom 🙂 We'll see if it stays off! 1 year, 9 months, 15 days smoke free after 39 years ♥

Best Answer

Hi everyone ! I just wondered how everyone was getting on? 

I am still in the same boat! Still not smoking but still have these weird symptoms. Kind of given up and coming to terms with the fact I might always look like a tired and pregnant 😞 

these are my symptoms after I quit smoking, can anyone tell me if theirs are the same please? Really sad and frustrated 😞 

7-10lb weight gain

tiredness

aching 

on and off sore throat and neck aches 

bad pms 

swollen boobs 

bloating, constipation

puffy face and eyes 

huge dark tired circles under my eyes 

hair looks thin and limp

burstinf into tears and enjoying a good cry 

moody (but better now months later) 

is anyone similar to me?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am assuming you have been to your doctor. If not, all I can say is I
ended up having a non functioning gall bladder and was simultaneously
diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis after being ignored for a year and a
half. Your symptoms could be from a host of issues and suffice it to say,
a doctor is the only one who can truly let you know what the problem is. I
may also add that my experience with doctors after I quit smoking was
horrid! They ALL wanted to pin every symptom on not smoking. Bloated,
your metabolism will take years to adjust. Depressed, of course. You must
also be going through menopause or pms along with quitting smoking. Weight
gain? Your just over eating because your not smoking. Not ONE doctor
listened to me. Keep pushing and be your own advocate. I still have to do
this. Unfortunately, I think women have to push doctors harder. We get
pushed aside all to often being told what we are dealing with is hormones
or we are depressed or overwhelmed. Keep fighting for yourself until you
get an answer!
Best Answer

I have a female doctor and she rocks. She’s been very supportive. I’ve had all the labs etc and everything is normal. Going to give it a few more months and have my metabolic rate checked if there’s no change v

Best Answer

Hi Holly,

I gained the 2 st I'd previously fought hard to lose. I'm still fighting not to gain more. I smoked for 30 years and I think my body is just taking time to get used to me not using cigarettes instead of food. My jeans make me feel like I'm stuffed in a sausage skin, but I can breathe. Hang in there...and sod doctors!

Best Answer

I have to say it depends on how you stopped smoking . I stopped with the vape so I didn't get depressed or anything it take you off nicotine gradually.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply! 

It is so tough isn't it. Sometimes I think the more I go the doctors eventually they'll find something wrong so I'm just going to struggle on x

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Angelina, 

well I made a mistake ! I was never a big smoker , but the Patch I used was one that was to strong for me, and I lost weight on it. After months I got rid of it and then quickly gained 10lbs. 

My doctor tried to explain to me that smokers do get a rebound weight gain and that it takes time to adjust. But goodness me I wish I could see the end! 

I tried bits of vape at really bad times but I realised that drip feeding my system with nicotine only prolongs my withdrawal because my body and Brain juts expects more, and so the recovery never really Happens x

Best Answer

I quit smoking 3 weeks ago and I'm just floored at the weight gain, mood swings and my chest went up a cup size since I stopped smoking.  I workout everyday but no weight comes off, i actually gained another 2 lbs.

Best Answer

Checking back in. Well I am still smoke free, still doing WW and finally started to lose again! BUT I am wearing the patch and using a disposable ecig for emergencies. Actually I'm crutching on the ecig more than I was in the beginning when I quit unfortunately. I'm starting to back off now because I want to be nicotine free for good by this summer. I am not sure if my metabolism has started to heal or if the nicotine is doing it's magic. I stalled for 5 weeks after quitting before finally losing a pound. The following week I lost another pound. Still kind of hovering around 3 pounds loss. I will check back in once I quit the nicotine patch (and ecig) all together and let everyone know what my progress is on the weight loss. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your post!

i have been dealing with this weight gain for months. Just depressing.  Glad to see I’m not alone and it will get better. 

I told my husband when I saw these posts that “I have found my people “

Best Answer
I gained with exercise too
I think it must be added stress??

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes