Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting Smoking and Not Losing Any Weight

If you recently quit smoking and cannot lose a single pound, read on!

A few months ago, I wasn't sure that I would be prepared or willing to changing at all. Ever. I really liked smoking and eating. Or eating and smoking - either way.

I guess it started on my last birthday, when I said I would quit and told everyone. Then I kept smoking and didn't even attempt it, but kept promising that I would at least try. Christmas came and went. Then New Years (what a good time for a resolution, but who wants to fall victim to resolutions. Aren't they so dumb?!), and then finally, my daughter's birthday in February. Faced with the request to quit smoking from my 5 year old sucked. She asked me so sweetly.

I bought an e-cig (which you should get if you are still smoking) and kicked it around for a while. I half assed my resolve to quit and clung to my cigarettes. But then one morning, I didn't have any left and I have never had another one. I kept it up with the e-cig for about a month until I realized that I wasn't even really smoking the thing anymore. So, I stopped - that was over 3 months ago now. Yay me!

During that time and against my better judgment, I weighed myself. You may not be surprised to know that I didn’t like the number, and I certainly didn’t want it to go up. I started a healthy eating regimen. Mother’s day came and my wonderful husband bought me a fitbit! The best present I have ever received – it has totally changed my life.

My excuse has always been that I am a busy, working mother – I have no time to work out! The fitbit suddenly made me aware of all the extra time I was wasting by sitting on the couch or not walking the dog.

So, after all of these actions: quitting smoking, changing my eating habits, reducing calories by a minimum of -1000/day, walking 10,000+ steps a day, I cannot lose a single pound.

I want everyone out there who is struggling as I am to know they are not alone. It is the worst feeling. After researching many, many hours, it is very hard to find information about this problem. Many websites discuss weight gain after smoking, but don’t explain why it happens. Or they estimate that your metabolism slows by an average of 200 calories a day. If that were true, I would still be losing weight. Many forums that I have found with a history of similar questions/comments being made about quitting and not losing are followed by a huge number of people saying it’s not true. It’s what you’re eating. It’s because you are not exercising enough. They just quit smoking and have been losing weight no problem.

Well, I’m not imagining things and you aren’t either if you are still reading along. I’ve found out that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your metabolism to recover. I’m sure this varies from person to person. I’m hoping I’m around the 6 month mark!

Let’s use this discussion to post new information or strategies on how to increase our metabolism again and to make it through without having to pick up another cigarette!

AUG 2017 UPDATE!!

I see that people are still responding to this post, so I thought I would update it. It's been over 3 years since writing it, and a lot has changed for me. First of all, my body has healed and I can now lose weight normally again! For a while there, I sort of gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen and I decided to give my body a rest. I would say that it took 2 years from the time I quit to where my body started functioning normally again. I highly recommend taking probiotics (24-48 billion) per day, as I believe this would have helped me with my gut bacteria even faster. I still take probiotics everyday now. I made some half hearted attempts at weight loss during then and now, which were mildly successful and only failed because I stopped. Now I'm down 27lbs after 4 months of keto and feel great.

For all of those just starting the non-smoking life, be patient. I know it's hard, but you will recover. You will flourish and you'll be healthier than you've ever been before! Give yourself time to heal. The body is amazing, just think of how long you've been smoking and how short a time it will take to heal from that. Amazing!

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

I quit smoking over 2 years ago and I had the same problem.  I am NOW finally starting to lose weight again!  Maybe you are not losing because your calories are too low.  Could be you are not getting enough healthy fats.  That would be my guess!  Congrats on the quit though!  Don't be alarmed that the urge to start smoking rears it's head in threes.. Three weeks, months, six weeks, six months.. etc.. it's really crazy!!  Best way to stay on track is to be in a support group for you quit!  It was the best thing for me!  If you go on Ehow, smoking sessations, there is a plethera of information about your quit, support groups, and even weight loss discussions.  Hang in there! 

Best Answer

Hi there @MissMully !I would like to give you a real life testimonial that worked for both my wine and me.

We quit something in 2000 and both gained weight - she gained 30 pounds, and me 40. Why? Simple - because we replaced smoking with food. I know, I know, you will tell me over and over again how much your Calories Out exceed your Calories In ... But it doesn't matter. In my book, you're gaining weight not because you kicked the smoking habit but because your food intake is too high or your system got used to your routine- pure and simple,

My best advice is to seek professional help from a dietician, who will formulate a food plan for you that is commensurate to your exercise regimen and BMR profile.    

Quitting smoking, in my book, does NOT cause weight gain. A bad diet does, and so does a routine exercise regimen.

That is not as bad as being sedentary, but pretty close. You see, your body gets used to a certain demand; and unless you poke it and challenge it into believing that your doing more, you will not lose weight; in fact, you might gain weight!  Varying your exercise regimen, by incorporating as many exercises as you can fit in, and avoiding to repeat the same two days in a row, will go a long way towards accomplishing your goals. In other words, you don't have to go from a 1,000 calories deficit to 2,000 - all you have to do is vary your exercie regimen.

Hope this helps, even in a small way. Take are and stay off smoking.It doesn't matter if you don't lose weight or even gain ... But stay off those cigatrettes!

Best Answer

I am so happy to read this thread although not happy that others are dealing with the same issue.  I was 10 pounds away from my goal.  10 pounds!!!  And like an idiot decided it would be a great time to quit. I have been smoking for at least 25 years. 

Now, I cry almost every day because I have gained half of the 60lbs back that it took me four years to lose.  I got my fitbit back in June 2014 to try and help me.  I was on weight watchers for four years.  My biggest complaint is that I know myself and know I won't keep up any exercise routine so I always managed to lose weight by changing my eating.  Since I quit smoking that has no bearing on it at all. I was eating all the same healthy foods.  I was snacking a bit more at night but always chose low calorie options.  I did not stuff my head in a bag of doritos or befriend Ben and Jerry again.   I decided to begin walking with my husband.  Who, btw, also quit and he has lost weight.  Yet another reason men and women are so different in the weight loss department.  Anyway,

I began to notice an insanely fast weight gain, like close to 20 lbs in two months!  I have no clothes since I got rid of all my fat clothes.  We walk daily from 3-5 miles and more on the weekends.  I have had such stomach issues that I've been to my general doc three times, gastroenterologist 3 times and changing to a new one, gynecologist, and soon endocrinologist.  The increase in abdominal girth is insane!  When I weighed this amount before, my stomach was never this big.  I look like I can be six months pregnant!  I am so desperate that I talked to my doctor about weight loss pills which I have always been against.

My own personal theory is that all the chemicals in the cigarettes have so embedded themselves in our systems that it is a long painful process for them to leave.  I am a week away from being five months smoke free.  I am doing great with not having cravings.  At times I wish I could smoke forever but know that I can't.  Now my only goal now is to remain smoke free and get back to where I was and finally finish the never ending weight loss journey.

Best Answer

Hey JennyMac!

I have noticed, that even though I've been going to the gym and have started to see results in small ways, my waist has not really gone down (which is usually where I lose weight first).

Here is what I have learned from researching online: 

When you quit smoking, the bacteria in your stomach becomes unbalanced. This could be the leading reason why weight gain occurs. I have read online that you must fix up your stomach flora, which will help you lose the weight caused by the imbalance.

I have purchased asidophilus (I think 20 million strength), which is a natural bacteria found in yogurt, to stabilize my stomach. Make sure it is refrigerated upon purchase and at home as well. Please try this first before anything more drastic. If you search online, you can find more information about this everywhere, but I believe that it will help your stomach issues.

Don't give up and don't take diet pills! Your body will recover....I have to remind myself that it took almost 20 years of smoking to mess everything up, and for you 25 years. The body is amazing and will recover, but what seems really slow to us (5 months for you and 6 for me) is actually a really short amount of time - especially compared to how long we smoked.

Don't fret and get asidophilus! I know that will help out!! Hugs girl!! 

Best Answer

My stomach issues are long standing and have been made worse by not smoking.  I tried activia yogurt which did nothing.  I am on pills for my stomach but it is not helping all that much.  I have another appointment with a gastro doc and an endocrinologist in October.  Hoping they can shed some light on it.  Until then I have resolved to really track everything I eat/monitor pain levels to see if there is any correlation.  I also changed my calorie plan to the most extreme to see if that helps at all.

I have to admit the calorie in/out display is really confusing to me.  I'm trying to find some info on here to explain.  My biggest complaint about fitbit is that it did not come with any information.  I have to dig online and that drives me nuts. 

Best Answer

Nicotine increases metabolic rate so when you stop, metabolic rate declines.  Then it is typical to eat more, which contributes to weight gain.  Truthfully, you are healthier with those extra pounds than you were with smoking.  But increasing your daily energy expenditure, eating planfully (enough protein, fat, fiber, carbs and not too many of any of those, at least not routinely) should help as your body adjusts to a more healthy lifestyle. 

Best Answer

Thanks Maxit:)  I am all to painfully aware of the metabolic changes and was prepared for them.  However, what I was not prepared for was drastic increase in adipose tissue.  I've been doing some research because it felt like inside of a month my legs doubled in size, my abdominal girth has tripled.  I know I have gained weight but the weight I am now is still less than when I got married and I couldn't fit into my dress now.  It just makes no sense to me.  I walk 3-6 miles a day, I am eating very healthy and have been.  I personally can't shake this feeling that there is some chemical in ciagettes that I am no longer getting that is causing all these problems.  Unfortunately not all ex smokers understand what I am talking about because everyone is different.  I guess I just feel like I am being punished for finally doing something that everyone has been bugging me to do.  I know in the long run it is the best choice.  I know in the long run I can lose the weight.  But when I spent four years losing 60 lbs, threw out all my "fat" clothes and am now faced with no clothes fitting me I am really angry.  I am doing everything right and feel like I'm being punished.  Sometimes for a brief moment I want to give in.  I wont.  Because then all this suffering is for nothing.  All this weight gain is for nothing.  I try my best to keep plugging ahead.  To keep positive.  To remember this is not permanent.  Most days I succeed.  Some days I don't.  I can say that by using the fitbit at least I know and can prove what I am doing.  I feel like when I tell my doctors what I am doing they don't believe me.  Now I open up the app on my phone and make them look:)

Best Answer

I have recentley quit smoking to . January 15th 2015 ! Yay Me !! I am on Chantix which helps imensley ! I started the Fitbit program 3 days ago ,and so far I love  it . What I don't umderstand is before I quit smoking I hardly ate anything. No breakfast ,sometimes didn't eat till 5 or 6 PM . Now I am eating all day long .But good food. Vegetables ,fruit ,and a lot of protien . I have so much energy I am constantly on my feet and moving all over the place . Before sat on the computer all day ! But I haven't lost anything yet and gained 4 lbs ! I just don't understand . I will NOT go back to smoking . Any suggestions ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I completely agree. I do crossfit 4x week and count my macros and I'm in a SEVEN HUNDRED CAL deficit from my calorie expenditure. I quit and started 5-6 times, each time gaining and clinging to 5-10 pounds. So sine my quitting escapade 3 years ago, I've literally gained 45 pounds. And it just lingers. 

Move tried everything except going below 1200 calories. Dietitians, adding running, d/c wheat. I'm actually starting to think my cells are toxic from years of smoking. I'm going to look into some sort of detox program and see if that helps. 

Best Answer

I want to thank you for putting this post up because I have been researching like mad it has been 8 months that I have stopped and I have been eating and working out for months now only lost 5lbs and I am so depressed. Thought I was the only one

Best Answer

Thank you for this post.
I quit eight months back. Have a new fitbit since about six months, but i've put on about 15-20 pounds.

I've replased once or twice but carefully brought myself back to staying on a quit even if I slip. But this new found belly is now becoming an embarassment and i seriously need to lose weight. I have absolutely no idea how to motivate myself!
Wish someone started a crazy high step challenge for beginners...

Best Answer

Ugh..I'm reading all these messages and feeling your pain. I quit 7 weeks ago thanks to a smoking (or no smoking) clinic. I have no idea how it works but I have no cravings and no urge to eat more, BUT i'm gaining weight. I currently have my fitbit set to 11,000 steps/day and usually do around 14k/day (thanks to a labrador), I also started the C25K but I'm going to have to stop, I'm concerned about my ankles/achilles tendons and I need to be able to walk the dogs, so I'm concerned about the discomfort- although the pure bliss of being physically able to run after smoking for 30 years is awesome!!  I'm also mixing 5:2 diet with Weightwatchers and STILL gaining weight. I lost 2 st via WW a few years back so I know it works...but sadly not this time.

I think it's a combination of stopping smoking, discovering i don't actually like coffee (I know, it freaked me out too) and the joys of being 47 and starting the whole menopause/peri-menopause thing.....30 years of utter chemical smoke related crap has to do a lot of damage.

I try really hard to remember that even though i may be heading for "blimp" status...I'm a non-smoking "blimp".  It doesn't always work and i have really low days but I have good days too...and at least I know I smell better when I'm feeling low than I did 7 weeks ago

AND I can't remember that last time I used my inhaler for the "asthma" i had.

It sucks hard that I'm putting weight on - but reading this made me realise I'm not on my own.

Best Answer

@lizzylt

It is really hard to make two big life changes at a time. To quit smoking and to lose weight on top of that are two changes that will create stress. On your low and difficult days I think it is great you give priority to the not smoking. It will take time, but remember you are taking the right steps. With time it should get easier. I think it is better to focus on the improvement of your health over the weight. Weight is just a measure/part of your overall health.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@Esya

Thank you for your kind words. ☺️🙏🏻

Best Answer

well done

Best Answer

Does anybody think it could be excess cortisol? I know if we stress our bodies to much in the gym we wont lose weight, so why not stress ourselves due to what may be considered a loss (our body might interpret quitting smoking as a loss and we may be experiencing grief). I am having a terrible time losing stomach fat, despite a slightly healthier diet, and increase in exercise, and increase in muscle mass. Thoughts?

Best Answer

I quit just over 5 months ago at age 55.  I have been exercising, eating healthier than I ever have, even given up alcohol.  Weight loss is 0.00lbs.  It is depressing and uncomfortable.  I read somewhere that your thyroid goes through a healing process where it does not function normally.  But who knows?

Glad I am not the only one struggling.

Thanks everyone for posting

Best Answer

Thanks for this update. Not many people come back to day they've got better!

i quit smoking 8 months ago and still feel like hell. And cannot lose a single pound no matter what I do!!

i still have bad sugar cravings too.

what other symptoms do you remember and when did you start trying to lose weight again?

x

Best Answer

Thank you for this! I swear I was so tired of hearing people say it wasn't quitting that made you gain or not lose weight. It's what you are eating. I have been on Weight Watchers a year and steady losing. I decided to quit smoking about 10 pounds from goal. I started on Chantix and immediately gained 5 pounds. I gained a couple more over the holidays because I gave myself a week off at Christmas to do what I needed to do to combat (give in to) the cravings, because as we all know, when you quit smoking you crave sugar thanks to the blood sugar spike. Day after Christmas I went back to WW plan. I haven't budged on the scale since then. I stopped taking Chantix after 5 weeks, and have just been using the patch because I seriously thought it was to blame. I am still following Weight Watchers and getting my daily steps in. The scale still hasn't moved. I have been at the exact same weight for  a month now. It's extremely frustrating! This post gives me hope. I smoked about a pack a day for about 25 years, so I know I will probably take longer to "heal". 

Best Answer