Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting Smoking and Not Losing Any Weight

If you recently quit smoking and cannot lose a single pound, read on!

A few months ago, I wasn't sure that I would be prepared or willing to changing at all. Ever. I really liked smoking and eating. Or eating and smoking - either way.

I guess it started on my last birthday, when I said I would quit and told everyone. Then I kept smoking and didn't even attempt it, but kept promising that I would at least try. Christmas came and went. Then New Years (what a good time for a resolution, but who wants to fall victim to resolutions. Aren't they so dumb?!), and then finally, my daughter's birthday in February. Faced with the request to quit smoking from my 5 year old sucked. She asked me so sweetly.

I bought an e-cig (which you should get if you are still smoking) and kicked it around for a while. I half assed my resolve to quit and clung to my cigarettes. But then one morning, I didn't have any left and I have never had another one. I kept it up with the e-cig for about a month until I realized that I wasn't even really smoking the thing anymore. So, I stopped - that was over 3 months ago now. Yay me!

During that time and against my better judgment, I weighed myself. You may not be surprised to know that I didn’t like the number, and I certainly didn’t want it to go up. I started a healthy eating regimen. Mother’s day came and my wonderful husband bought me a fitbit! The best present I have ever received – it has totally changed my life.

My excuse has always been that I am a busy, working mother – I have no time to work out! The fitbit suddenly made me aware of all the extra time I was wasting by sitting on the couch or not walking the dog.

So, after all of these actions: quitting smoking, changing my eating habits, reducing calories by a minimum of -1000/day, walking 10,000+ steps a day, I cannot lose a single pound.

I want everyone out there who is struggling as I am to know they are not alone. It is the worst feeling. After researching many, many hours, it is very hard to find information about this problem. Many websites discuss weight gain after smoking, but don’t explain why it happens. Or they estimate that your metabolism slows by an average of 200 calories a day. If that were true, I would still be losing weight. Many forums that I have found with a history of similar questions/comments being made about quitting and not losing are followed by a huge number of people saying it’s not true. It’s what you’re eating. It’s because you are not exercising enough. They just quit smoking and have been losing weight no problem.

Well, I’m not imagining things and you aren’t either if you are still reading along. I’ve found out that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your metabolism to recover. I’m sure this varies from person to person. I’m hoping I’m around the 6 month mark!

Let’s use this discussion to post new information or strategies on how to increase our metabolism again and to make it through without having to pick up another cigarette!

AUG 2017 UPDATE!!

I see that people are still responding to this post, so I thought I would update it. It's been over 3 years since writing it, and a lot has changed for me. First of all, my body has healed and I can now lose weight normally again! For a while there, I sort of gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen and I decided to give my body a rest. I would say that it took 2 years from the time I quit to where my body started functioning normally again. I highly recommend taking probiotics (24-48 billion) per day, as I believe this would have helped me with my gut bacteria even faster. I still take probiotics everyday now. I made some half hearted attempts at weight loss during then and now, which were mildly successful and only failed because I stopped. Now I'm down 27lbs after 4 months of keto and feel great.

For all of those just starting the non-smoking life, be patient. I know it's hard, but you will recover. You will flourish and you'll be healthier than you've ever been before! Give yourself time to heal. The body is amazing, just think of how long you've been smoking and how short a time it will take to heal from that. Amazing!

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd like to know when it gets better 😞 I feel like a slob ! No motivation always foggy and forgetful And my skin and face actually looks way worse 😞 yay for not smoking 

Best Answer

So update on me since this post is I still don't smoke. Feel fantastic but hate to tell you all just starting to loose weight but started weight watchers which is pretty cool . I find the eating pretty flexible. But it took a while to feel like I feel now 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am happy so many people feel the same

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

I gained 30 lbs total after one year quit.   I seemed to have stopped gaining bit so far not able to take it off.   Now my fat self barely wants to move

Best Answer
Hey brilliant news ! So how long for you from start to now? X

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too 

my skin is dry and not nice looking too

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have gained 40 lbs.  I was always around 100-110 lb very small framed and everyone said I needed to eat a cheeseburger because i was too thin and now I am close to 150.  I have never weighed so much, even pregnant.  It is very depressing.  I do feel healthier since I quit smoking and I have been watching what I eat and making sure I move, but I get on the scale and there is another lb added.  It doesn't stop.

the doctor says I am eating to compensate and that is not the case.  I eat about the same and healthier most days.  I will soon be almost a year since I quit smoking, so hopefully I will turn the corner soon and be able to loose some of this weight.

Best Answer
As I mentioned previously, I did start smoking again. However, I know it
approaching the time to quit again. I recently told my doctor I am
terrified of quitting again because the first time was so traumatic and
sent my health on a downward spiral that I still have not recovered from.
I also really am tired of arguing with the doctors especially about what I
put in my mouth. Even when I kept a food diary and showed them, they
basically call you a liar. As if not smoking isn't hard enough, to have to
contend with all this other crap some days seems insurmountable. But we
keep trudging along. I am really happy to see this thread still lives on
because I am sure all of you will be helping me again down the road.
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's awesome! Weight Watchers is a great program!

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long have you been quit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It has been 1 full year since I quit and WW for 1.5 months

Best Answer

@Roch1755wrote:

How long have you been quit?

One year, 9 months and 15 days...but who's counting? lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a comfort to me to see so many other people dealing with the same frustration as me. The only thing that keeps me sane is reading the positive stories of ex smokers who kept pushing through! Some took a year some 2 -3! But they all got there and felt healthier for it. I do think taking cigarettes away from a body that's used o having them is bound to cause problems for a while. That was our stress release and now it's gone. I bought some kettle bells that seems to relive some stress x

Best Answer

Does anyone else have significantly worse pms? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Holly886wrote:

It's a comfort to me to see so many other people dealing with the same frustration as me. The only thing that keeps me sane is reading the positive stories of ex smokers who kept pushing through! Some took a year some 2 -3! But they all got there and felt healthier for it. I do think taking cigarettes away from a body that's used o having them is bound to cause problems for a while. That was our stress release and now it's gone. I bought some kettle bells that seems to relive some stress x

Yes, I started smoking at age 13 and smoked for 39 years, so my body didn't know anything different. Hoping I'm turning a corner now. I will say menopause isn't helping matters any! LOL I do use an E cig on occasion but it has no nicotine. It helps with that morning coffee, cocktails, etc.

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Only 4 very long weeks.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

I quit 10 weeks ago. Used chantrix for first 3 weeks and I think this really helped me, however since I quit I can't lose any weight despite following Atkins (which has always worked in the past) and using my fitbit to get in my 10000 steps.  In fact my weight seems to have shifted and now carrying in stomach, breasts and legs.  My skin is breaking out, hair seems dry and dull.  I am trying not to panic but it would help to be able to find useful information beside this blog.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Me too 😞

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes