Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentines Day to April 18th

@Bobbinyc, I hope it's ok for me to plagerize your Christmas to Valentine's Day Topic Starter but it was absolutely perfect!!!

Welcome all Challengers!  What an amazing group we have!

Let's all continue together to take off the excess pounds and keep getting healthier.

This challenge will begin on Valentine's Day and finish on (American) Tax Day - 18 April 2017.   (Really!  It's the 18th this Year, not the 15th!)

All you need to join this challenge is to post your stats regarding your weight, and check in weekly or as often as you'd like. We are a great support group and enjoy keeping up with each other and being there for our ups and downs.  Generally we have found that the more we check in and offer support, tips, info,  and ideas to others, the more we get for ourselves.

We list our weight, as well as any other goals we might have related to being healthy (such as increase water, more active minutes, etc).  Developing good health habits is primary.

A little rundown of terminology for anyone who is new.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight

CSW- Current Starting Weight (for this challenge)

GW- Goal Weight   (for Feb 14)

UGW- Ultimate Goal Weight   (what your healthy target weight is)

PW- Previous Weight

CW- Current Weight

MFP- My Fitness Pal

List as much info as you like.  Some people include age, gender, height....whatever seems relevant to you.

We keep it as serious or light as we feel, but we always keep it focused on being as healthy as possible, while we support each other kindly.  We can do this together!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
926 REPLIES 926

@DJC_63 I used to get very self-conscious about the young women at the gym prancing around in their "exercise" clothes.  That was some years ago; the styles are much better now.  Actually that is when I was young and thin and in as decent shape.  I think we just get self-conscious.  It's so easy to get into negative thinking about ourselves.  Truth is, when we slightly older women go to a gym, we are being great role models for those women when they get older.  

I've lucked out - I found a gym that has people of all ages - college students, 30s, and lots of late 70s.  And no one dresses to show off at all.  We go, do our work, chat a bit, and go home. And the trainers are very highly skilled and can work with all kinds of issues.  Which is good, since I have all kinds of issues.  There are gyms like that around, though not the big chains.

It's great that you stuck with it.  

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

@DJC_63 You have really been through a lot physically.  I found that all the stuff we go through in our 40s, at least for me, eased up a bit in late 50s and early 60s.  It's all preparation for later.  And we want to go into the later years as healthy and strong as possible.  So, keep it up no matter what.

Best Answer

I have been making chicken stock while on this medication to boost my bld,protein, calcium etc. It is so much better than broth but lots more work and I do it every 3 days. I think it helps since I don't want to overload on vitamins that my liver will have to flush. That's why I think the weight is from the med not letting go of anything. I weight everything on a digital scale and it's 230 calories several times a day with measured berries and vegetables and no grains yet. I have walked weather permitting 3 -5 miles with Nora in the snow and on ice. Lots of fun but hard to run on.

USW- 3/27/16   130

CSW-  4/06/16  127

UGW-   105- 107

Time to do more tai chi, yoga, to get ready for running more as the weather clears. I had been doing mostly fast walking and letting Nora explore but she is going to have to step it up. Won't make it by the 18th but hopefully by May.

Best Answer

Well it is another day and just as I suspected, some of the weight loss has come back.. 2 pounds did, however I did not get my water in yesterday as we were on the run all day. So I am hoping with some water flushing junk out, that may change again tomorrow. I really want that to be off permanently! I had a feeling I counted it too soon and was right, so now I just have to make it stay off. I know this is TMI, but I really have to figure something to help with my bowel issues. I think it is amazing if I eat JUNK, I am fine. If I eat healthy, I struggle beyond belief. However I have learned an important lesson on a laxative I will not take again..lol. Since it is a TMI subject, I won't say much, but it has become a issue for me.

So today is Thursday and then tomorrow is FRIDAY...lol. I know I wish my life away one week at a time..lol. I am always looking forward to Friday. I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC  Thanks for the suggestion about doing a video.

How do all of you know so much?  I get stuck on every little thing and have no idea what to do next.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@_Lilac_  You have been through a tough time and there you are pressing on and cheering others.  I appreciate how you talk about yourself and also get involved with other people and helping out.  I haven't done any walking at all today yet.  I'm very sore, very tired, and kinda worried.  My heart rate is a bit erratic.  I'm going to the doc this afternoon.  That's something I would have put off before because I tend to think I can handle whatever it is and my schedule is crazy with work and driving kids around.  But I'm starting to get an idea of what it means to take care of myself.  I thought , if it was my husband's heart rate, I'd have him at a doctor's right away.  So, off I go.

Best Answer

@terryrunning  We learn from each other! No one comes here knowing all the tricks or knowing exactly what to do to lose extra fat and get fit. Often we are here because we are lost and the other people help us find a path. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

@terryrunning (again)  Yes, take care of yourself since it's the #1 thing you can do to ensure your family's health, because you know there is no one who is going to take care of them like you do!   It could be that the heart was like, "WHOA! What did she just do?? Walked two driveways and back?? That is outrageous, I'd better put a stop to this nonsense right now...*flutter flutter*...there, that will teach her." 

Make sure you put that silly heart in it's place and whip him into shape! You are the boss!

Best Answer

What a day! We walked the mall then shopped at two stores. 6500 steps. After I got home I rested briefly then my daughter wanted to go out. We took the bus partway to the place then walked 25 min, because if we'd taken the bus the whole way it would have meant doing three buses with transfers. My average heartrate during that walk was 142 and my Blaze recognized it as 'running'. On the way home we took the three buses and then when I finally sat I'd done a total of over 11,000 steps. Phew. That's three days in a row at over 10,000 post knee injury. And it's not re-injured so I'm counting that as a *win*. I can get back to my normal activities again. My dogs are bonkers because they haven't had their walks but I am scared to push it too hard. Maybe we can play fetch instead. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be spring-like, so I'd like to do something outdoors. I'd mentioned a few days ago I should go to the river trail and I might still do that. Camera, water, it could be a great time. Maybe I'll invite my sister along and get her to take that photo to do the comparison. She got a new hairdo (it looks GREAT) and she's going to get a fitbit! What a little health scare will do for ya!! I suppose it helps that Mom and I both have them and we are having fun.

Last night on the news there was going to be a story about exercise addiction and that all the fitness trackers are causing people to have this addiction. I wondered what they'll complain about next. If it's not the obesity epidemic, it's fitbit addiction. Sigh. Gotta laugh sometimes. 

Ok, that's my day so far. I want to be a couch potato the rest of the evening, but maybe I'll just be a couch asparagus or couch rutabaga. Sounds healthier.

Best Answer

My weight keeps going up and down. Even Trendweight is showing it go up a little bit. I've been getting steps in, but my eating hasn't been as consistent lately as it used to be. While I haven't been overeating a lot, I have had a few nights when I stay up later and eat chips or chocolate or something. So, today at least, maybe tomorrow, I'm cutting out breads and sugar. That's so difficult in my family because my husband and daughter are carbaholics. Their favorite meal is mac 'n cheese, mashed potatoes, rice, and rolls. So, this will involve me cooking for them and finding something non-carb for me. My willpower to resist snacking has dropped. I need to do something to jumpstart my willpower again with watching what I eat. I think this will help. I'm recommitting to count every bite I eat and stay under my calorie limit. 

Best Answer

We have 1 1/2 weeks left in this challenge. Any thoughts on the next challenge? Ending on May 31 (start of summer months) or July 4?

Best Answer

Well it is a new day and I can not say I am feeling as excited about it weight wise. I am slightly disappointed. However I will work to conquer it. I am right there with you @GettingfitinSC I am struggling again, and really no reason as to why. I was so excited to see the 50 pound badge... Even though I knew it wasn't 100% accurate due to my "issue" but then yesterday when it was up 2 pounds and honestly for no reason, it kind of disappointed me. BUT, I will not let it over take me. I will continue on. I let petty things in my mind and they tend to drive me crazy... (as my husband would say) things like I have a Dr appt. coming up next week and I am thinking I really want to reschedule it until I can weight less on her scale, just because I want to be a 50 pound loss in her office... I know that shouldn't matter as much to me, but it does for some reason. Oh well, one day at a time and one pound at a time. I guess we need to just be checking in here more often. Seems like we draw strength from each other and that is what we need! So here is to making great choices and getting steps in over this weekend & getting that 2 pounds back off for the Tuesday weigh in..lol.

I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@_Lilac_  Did I ever tell you how much you make me laugh?

"WHOA! What did she just do?? Walked two driveways and back?? That is outrageous, I'd better put a stop to this nonsense right now...*flutter flutter*...there, that will teach her." 

You put things into a great perspective.

Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC I know it can be tough to try to eat well when your family is so used to carbs.  When I first started, I would make two dinners.  Then I decided that was just silly.  If someone in the family is diabetic, you don't serve rich desserts for everyone else right in front of them.  If someone is alcoholic, you don't serve everyone else wine.  We accommodate each other.  You are trying to be healthy and I know you want your family to be healthy too.  Maybe at some point you can get them on board with either giving up or cutting back on the carbs, or helping out with dinner, or not eating unhealthy in front of you.  I wasn't that nice.  I just told my family that being healthy was for all of us.  Period.  And I would no longer be making carby food.  My son balked like crazy, until he started dating a girl who was into being healthy and didn't eat refined carbs.  Then suddenly it was the way to go.   Sometimes we have to do what makes the most sense, what is right for us and for those we love.  

Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC  The next challenge goes until Memorial Day.  We don't start them until the day before.  Otherwise some people go in there and we end up in two different forums.  I think Barb (dancefoxtrot) is due to start the next one.

Best Answer

That sounds great! No, I wouldn't want to start the new challenge now. I was just wondering about how long it would be to try to plan goals. I don't think I'll make my goal this time, but I'm getting as close as I can. 🙂 

Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC  I'm with ya. I won't make goal by April 18, but I'm working at it. In the past week I've eaten out a few times, and although I make good choices (swapping out fries and choosing salad, taking a half sub instead of a whole one, etc etc), it still adds up to sodium and food that I can't completely track. It also makes a person hungrier. Today my daughter stopped for a sub and some shop-made corn chowder. I hemmed and hawed over the menu, and although they will make your sub in a bowl without the bread, STILL...I said 'no' and came home to make food. Win for me. I did my groceries yesterday, I have too much food in the house. There is NO SENSE in getting something out, ya know? 

So, although I won't make goal (7 lb in 1.5 weeks? ha no) I'm chugging along in my sneakers, knowing I had a setback with my knee and just have to prod myself into continuing to go on.

I realized that I'm at the weight where I've had a plateau in the past. Don't you just hate those things? I get another one at 275-280. Fun fun. 

Best Answer

Hang in there @HeartBiller  You can do this.  Like you said "one day at a time, one pound at a time"!  Don't give up! 🙂

Best Answer

Hi again everyone,

Here's this week's update. 

USW: 224.5 lbs (7/6/16)

CSW: 177.0 (12/23/16)

CW: 176.5 (12/30/16) -0.5 lbs

CW: 173.5 (01/06/17) -3.0

CW: 171.0 (01/13/17) -2.5

CW: 169.5 (01/20/17) -1.5

CW: 169.0 (01/27/17) -0.5

CW: 168.0 (02/03/17) -1.0

CW: 168.0 (02/10/17) -0.0

CW: 165.5 (02/17/17) -2.5  First weigh-in for this challenge.

CW: 163.0 (02/24/17) -2.5

CW:  159.0 (03/03/17) -4.0 

CW:  156.5 (03/10/17) -2.5

CW:  154.5 (03/17/17) -2.0

CW:  152.5 (03/24/17) -2.0

CW:  153.0 (03/31/17) +0.5

CW:  151.5 (04/07/17)  -1.5

Goal Range:   150.0 - 155.0

It turned out to be a good week after all my cheating last weekend! 🙂  I'm still in my goal range so I'm happy with that.  Only 1 1/2 weeks left to this challenge (and tax season...YEAH!!!) and then it's time to focus on maintenance and coming up with some new meal plans to add some variety. 

We're supposed to have some wonderful weather this weekend so looking forward to getting some fresh air in the house and doing some outside work.

Have a great week everyone! 🙂

Best Answer

@HeartBillercongrats on the 50!!

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer