Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter is coming...

ANSWERED

So not sure about the rest of you, but I'm bad when it comes to Winter... I currently weigh 310lbs, I am a more active person since getting my fitbit, but am still have a lot of problems with my eating habbits. With winter coming I am afraid I will wak less, and go into hibernation mode, except instead of sleeping I will just keep eating... Because of work I know I will stay reletively active, but I am really worried that all of this summers hard work will be for nothing...

I could use some encouragement, advice but honestly I need some people who are like minded and need others to push them. I need to be pushed, but not yelled at, no one has time for being yelled at.

Best Answer
60 REPLIES 60
That's awesome Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yea I make smoothies after I leave the gym and yes helps a lot. For breakfast I tend to eat more fruit and oatmeal. I drink plenty of water.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I find exercises to do in my home, like a work out video. I also walk around the house with small weights and do different arm work outs for 30 minutes, then do squats, lunges, push ups and situps either on the same day or the opposite day that I walk.  I do have a Gym membership now at the YMCA and I LOVE it! It really helps keep you motivated when the weather is bad outside. Also, at the YMCA they have Scholarship programs based on your income you can receive a discount. Food: Make sure you are eating CLEAN. No processed food, junk, juice soda, or anything white; white bread, pasta, rice or potatos. Switch to Brown Rice, Sweet Potatos, and Whole Grain pasta.  Best to stay away from pasta if you can due to carb overload.  And limit all those complex carbs to no more than 1/2 - 1 Cup.  Hope this helps 🙂

Best Answer

In winter, what I do is I walk around the mall. 🙂 I can't handle the cold weather, and walking in the bitterness, or snow, sleet, etc. So, walking anywhere indoors is a great alternative. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome idea, I have seen people doing that before.  Yes, I can't handle the cold in my lungs outside during the winter either.  So I just go to the YMCA or do work outs inside 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure where you live, but if you have snow and you think that is what is keeping you inside, I'd highly recommend getting some good snowshoes - drive or snowshoe somewhere out in nature where there are trails or fields and just "walk" in the snowshoes.  It is even more calorie burning than walking and you get out in all of the beauty of nature, which is good for the mind and soul.

Best Answer

to fit versus fact

You have to interject science into weight loss.  Professor emeritus Thomas Schelling is famous for work on conflicts between nations particularly those with nuclear weapons.  An example would be one party must demonstrate precommittment.  Precommittment in diet means not keeping cheat foods in the house.  It also means that zero is a more enforceable limit.  A real example would be I never eat at restrauant A or I never have an inventory of this in the house.

Or for those who cannot face the prospect of an eternity without an indulgence DELAY is another behaviorial weapon in the arsenal.  This allows the "third self" (between the two conflicting inner selfs) to reconcile weaknesses and improve. Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm the same way in winter. But this time I've started changing it since I started using my fitbit. Before, I wasn't even aware of how inactive I was or how much I was overeating, but I check my fitbit ALL the time to make sure that I stay "in the zone" for my calorie intake and if I want a treat I log it into my fitbit BEFORE I eat it just to see how many calories I would need to burn off, and if it's too much then I forget the treat. You just gotta remember that if you overeat, you gotta work your butt off to get rid of it. And since I'm lazy, I choose not to overeat so that I don't have to work extra hard later. Lol.

Best Answer

to leira13:

Your comments are exactly correct yet as you go through the grocery store you will find very few items that are less than 500 to 1000 calories per package.  This is exactly why it is so easy to be overweight.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am new and I am having trouble posting. I am just replying to this post.  How do I start my own post?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found that if you cook and eat natural foods--no box  or hardly any, you will feel and be healthier.  Also, I exercise 5 days a week at the gym and if I miss a day then I try to walk for at least 35 to 40 mins. Also, you need to feel full so make sure you get your protein requirements for you body type.

I lost 18 lbs. and have kept it off for 3 years by doing the above. So many people get the weight off then gain most of it back or more.

Hope this helps a few people.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cooking your own meals is the best thing you can do, you know how much extras you are adding and its the healthiest option.

I also bought a gallon bottle of water for the entire day and I finish it every day!   Drinking a lot of water in the winter is important to your body, dehydration is a big thing in the winter, most people dont drink enough water when its cold outside. 

I bought something similar to this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GEDUDY/ref=twister_B004AHJEPQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It helps to reach my daily water intake goals! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

to Cecilia87

Is that the correct spelling of your name-very unusual? In evaluating your current health and vitamin intake and nutrition requirements the best method to do that is obtaining baseline measurements from your physician.  If your interested in hydration, the Gatorade Sports Science Institute has a number of studys available with tests if you are so bold!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is the correct way to spell my name. I'm hispanic, most hispanic women that I know and their name is Cecilia, thats how it is spelled, at least in hispanic culture, it isn't very unusual 😉 

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to check out the Gatorade Sport Science Institute studies. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI Chargrintoacti, I'm new to fitbit but not new to weightloss...if you can't go outside to workout because of the weather you might consider getting one of those interactive games like Wii. I find the games fun and it gets me moving in the house for hours. I play tennis, golf, and bowling.  Eating is tougher, especially since our genetics tell us to eat up when the weather is bad (just in case like the cavemen we can't catch any food for the next month Smiley Wink. So try to minimize the damage by having things like celery & peanut butter, or a handful of peanuts on hand.  Honestly it's probably going to come down to self control more than anything. Hang in there...the lousy weather is only another 6ish weeks. concentrate on making each day a success!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @Kabsun22! If you wish to create a new discussion or ask a question please follow the steps on this guide. Smiley Very Happy

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions Cat Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, regarding shopping - best to not buy any processed, boxed foods as much as possible at least in the beginning and until your tastes change and you sort of start craving better food.  To help accomplish this, "they" recommend shopping the outsides of the supermarket and not the inner aisles as much as possible.  All of the fresh foods are located outside perimeter basically - veggies, meats, dairy, etc.

Good luck!  Its awesome once you train yourself to eat better and exercise a little more - it gets addictive!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought the same thing as you... I love going outside but I live in Massachusetts and thankfully this year it hasn't been so bad with the snow but it's FREEZING and sometimes working out inside just isn't fun.  I've been working out EVERY single day though. I usually walk all day long at work on my long days or I will do a 3 mile walk work out and then a squat work out and on weekends I go hiking.

Summer is going to be so much better when it comes to working out but I am eating less and working out more, so hopefully I can keep up this motivation. 

I think it's easier if you can find a work out program that you enjoy.. I enjoy doing my 3 mile work out video(same one every single time) and or zumba.

Best Answer
0 Votes

WIsComing..

i eliminate alllll

bread the 1st week or JUST a bite 

next WK, all pasta, or JABite

next WK, all rice , or jABite

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DragontreeDream wrote:

i eliminate alllll

bread the 1st week or JUST a bite 

next WK, all pasta, or JABite

next WK, all rice , or jABite

It sounds like you believe "evil" carbs in bread, pasta and rice are what caused you to gain weight, and going for a low-carb diet will reverse the process. The truth is people gain weight by overeating: it’s the excessive amount of calories in what you ate that caused the weight gain, not an individual macronutrient. Carbs are the preferred fuel for your activity: if you are very active, you can eat a lot of them; if you are less active, you need to adjust your carb intake to your level of activity. Replacing carbs with fat (Atkins, ketogenic diet) will only work for weight loss if it allows you to be in a caloric deficit. However, 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories, while 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, so there’s only so much fat you can eat if you’re not very active.  

Go to Italy and you will see people there eat bread, pasta, rice (but also pizza, pollenta and other sources of similar carbs) everyday, yet the rate of obesity (and obesity-related diseases) is very low (compared to the US). This can’t be a coincidence.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer