Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting HR and menstrual cycle

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone noticed a pattern in their resting heart rate and monthly cycle? I never knew!

Is this something the Fitbit app will tap into?

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

yes, my resting heart rate went up several beats per minute a week before.  Then, a couple days before it dropped rapidly.

Best Answer

Clue did some research on this using Fitbit, and found that RHR went up on ovulation. Unfortunately I've had to unlink my Clue app from Fitbit, because Fitbit puts in incorrect ovulation dates with no way to correct them, and it's affected my Clue account and moved all my ovulation dates back two days. If Fitbit ever fixes the Female Health tracker I'll re-enable it and relink it to Clue, but I'm not holding my breath. Report a bug to Clue, they say, "Yes, we know about that bug, we're working in fixing it." Report a bug to Fitbit, they ignore it or tell you that you should make a feature request. 

Best Answer

Yes! I noticed my RHR went up steadily by 1-2 bpm every day before I began the first day of my cycle. I'm interested to see if it happens again as I time goes on and I can track more of my cycles.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry. 1-2 bpm per day for about a week*

Best Answer

I've noticed my RHR goes up about 2-4 bpm the week before and during.  Interesting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I have been using my Charge 2 for tracking since Jan 2018.

This morning, my RHR showed at 64, when I first woke up and before I got out of bed. Later in the day, about 6 hours later, it is 61.

So, my question is... do you use the temp that shows when you first wake up, or the temp that shows up later in the day.

Thank you!

Moderator edit: title for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @melissa924! Currently, Fitbit doesn't monitor body temperature. 

While you may not be able to log your temperature, please add it to our Feature Suggestions. However, I was making some research and was able to find these ideas asking for the same:

Please cast a vote for these ideas (or for the one which best suits to your request) and leave a comment to show your support for them. 

Since this is a newly launched feature, we're always interested in ways to improve the product! Thanks for your feedback. Smiley Wink

Additionally, I'd recommend taking a look at the article: What should I know about my heart rate data? to get more detailed information about how your heart rate is being monitored. 

PS:  I moved your post to the Fitbit Health Tracking as there are more chances to get app related replies here.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry!

In my message, I meant to write ...

"So, my question is... do you use the RHR that shows when you first wake up, or the RHR that shows up later in the day.

Can you provide an answer to that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @melissa924! Please check the article: What should I know about my heart rate data?

If there's any questions present, let me know! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve been watching the change in my RHR in line with my monthly cycle for months.

I don’t track ovulation with tests and temps but have a rough idea of when I “expect” it and I tend to get a dip (admittedly this isn’t overly accurate). 

I do see a clear upwards trend the week before my period, followed by a steep drop usually the day before I bleed, and continuing to drop for the next few days.this has happened every month for at least the last 6.  

The only time my RHR has ever gone above 68bpm I was pregnant. Sadly the pregnancy ended very shortly after and I had my suspicions it would because again, my RHR dropped like a stone and the following day I started bleeding.

Best Answer

I continually track 8 to 10 beats lower once my period starts and then after a week it starts to climb up again. 

Best Answer

Welcome on board @Barb65, it's nice to see you here! Thanks for sharing your experience with your heart rate during your period.

I'd recommend taking a look at my post above by clicking here to find more details about your heart rate and also to find suggestions to be implemented in the Female Health in the near future. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine usually does this but for some reason this month it has ben at 70 since my period. Im on cycle day 22. I really dont understand why it hasnt changed all month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Jess31317, it's nice to see you around! If your cycle predictions are not showing correctly, please try the following steps:

• Make sure that your Fitbit app is up-to-date
  • Log out of your Fitbit app
  • Force quit the app
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit app

Once you've done that, try going to Settings in the top right corner. It should bring up the option to remove "predictions". Turn it off, set cycle length again then turn predictions back on. 

I'll be around, keep me in the loop! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Marre. But I'm not talking about that. I mean my resting heart rate has been at 70 for almost the whole month. Usually it goes up and down during my cycle. Its just odd that it has been the same all month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Jess31317, thanks for coming back and for clarifying it's the resting heart rate in general. 

As with all heart-rate tracking technology, whether a chest strap or a wrist-based sensor, accuracy is affected by personal physiology, location of wear, and type of movement. 

For tips on wrist placement and how to wear your Fitbit device for best heart-rate tracking results, please see our help article: What impacts the accuracy of my heart-rate readings?

Try restating your device by following these steps. You can also try moving your device to your other wrist.

Thanks for letting us know you're wearing your device with the original band. However, I wanted to share that heart rate tracking may not work with certain accessory bands, especially if they’re loose fitting. For best results, we recommend wearing a Fitbit-branded classic or sport band during exercise. For more information, see: What should I know about my heart rate data?

Give this a go and let me know the outcome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just wanted to add my little two cents here, base off my own personal experiences, in the hopes it may help others...

I'm 43 now, I got my charge 2 watch over a year ago when I was 41 just before 42. I was diagnosed with perimenopause and this can effect what your rhr does throughout your cycle. It is all hormone related, of course. 

Since I'm in perimenopause my cycle shows the inconsistencies between the rhr fluctuations. It still increases during the ovulation cycles and declines just before or during the menstrual cycle. The big differences is the timing is different each month because of the huge swings of hormones due to not ovulating. That's pretty much what I gathered perimenopause is... Your ovaries aren't functioning like it used to, so it causes your adrenal glands and pituitary gland to increase hormone output in order to "kick start" the ovaries to function. This is simplifying it extremely basic as I'm not medically inclined in any medicinal fashion. 🙂 This is what I've learned from other doctors and research. 

Example: 3 months in a row my rhr increased starting during the ovulation cycle and continued to increase until the day my menstrual cycle started. The it declined gradual for a week or more, then repeat.

This past month it dropped drastically almostba full week before cycle was due and I started a few days early. I expected the cycle you start the day or dropped but it didn't. This is perimenopause unfortunately. Also, I had cycles that were 2 weeks apart for 3 months, and my rhr was going through extreme rollercoaster rides. 🙂

Best Answer

Hello there @Vylent_Fyre! Thanks so much for sharing your personal experience. I'm sure this information will be of help to other users. 

Let me know if there's anything else I may do to assist you with. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Vylent_Fyre Thank you, this is so useful to know. I'm 42, logged my cycles using my temperature in the past, and entered the last two years of RHR data into a cycle tracking app yesterday. Judging by this, I'm starting to get anovulatory cycles, and either RHR isn't dead on for ovulation, or I get a fluctuating luteal phase length as well.

I did figure out why I get a longer luteal phase with Fitbit than from when I was temperature tracking. Oura Ring tracks both basal temperature and RHR, and they have done a chart with the two curves toge.... The RHR often starts rising shortly before the temperature does.

Best Answer