Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254

Here are a couple of links regarding alcohol consumption & health:

Alcohol: Balancing Risks and Benefits (source: Harvard School of Public Health)

Alcohol drinks and the risk of cancer (source: World Cancer Research Fund)

The consensus in the medical community seems to be alcohol (even when consumed in moderation) always has a net negative impact on health. In other words, whatever positive impact it may have on certain conditions (e.g. heart diseases, diabetes) will be more than offset by the negative impact on other aspects of health (the risk of cancer being just one such aspect).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
I totally agree with you however those links that you sent me - thank you
but I've already been made aware of the negative aspects of alcohol
consumption even in moderation as you said. They say heavy drinking and
those of us that abstain from drinking at all are more likely to develop
heart disease than those who drink in moderation. Fair enough but l agree
drinking in moderation also increases the risk of different cancers. It
seems to me that your **ahem**ed if you do and **ahem**ed if you don't. I suppose
we all TRY and do the RIGHT thing. Whatever that is - I'm a little bit
unsure. Thanks for the feedback!!!
Best Answer
It seems that alcohol raises your heart beat and then gradually drops, but takes a couple of days to return to normal.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah the effects of alcohol seem to be different with each person I've
noticed - strange???
Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree with you. A little IPA it glass of wine probably won't increase rhr. I'm a Cognac drinker especially on weekends. If I'm not drinking couple days later my rhr is low 50s drinking high 60s

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi jay look what you said is spot on!! I have 1 drink of mid strength beer
3.5%alcohol vol each day and that's all - l stop!! I'm also mid fifties
(rhr)!! Common sense makes a big difference!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow @Dominique thanks for sharing this information. It's really important for us to read and judge those details and statistics. 

😲

clipboard_image_0.png

World Cancer Research Fund - page 6

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Just wondering...how do you know whether your hear rate is rising if you drink every day? You need to change the variable to see if anything changes...i.e. Stop drinking for a few days and see if your HR drops.

Best Answer
Been there, done that with the resting heart rate as far as I can tell
drinking in moderation in my case (1) per day and not every day makes no
difference to the rhr. Without stating the obvious what did make a
difference was the need to take panadeine forte (short term) tooth ache!!
Best Answer

If you stop drinking for 1 day, you'll notice a drop in RHR. 

Best Answer
Not in my case. It take a couple of days of abstinence for it to drop. It drops by 1bpm in a days abstinence,which is in the margin of error. A weeks abstinence will take my RHR from 68 to 62.
Cheers (pun intended)

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

What I've heard is that he cardiovascular system is affected by alcohol, at the time of drinking. Alcohol cause a temporary increase in heart rate and blood pressure. But in the long-term, drinking above the guidelines can lead to on-going increased heart rate, high blood pressure, weakened heart muscle and irregular heartbeat

In some countries, moderate alcohol consumption is one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men. But how much alcohol is too much? 🤔

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm trying to drink less. Changed from a bottle of wine 2 or 3 times a week to a 12 oz glass of beer 2 or 3 times a week. Its a change that impacts your life and health. I'm 64 years old and my RHR is now at the 50s. 

There will be special occassions like this weekend when I have a wedding to go to. I want to be healthy for the rest of my life. Less alcohol...better decisions. Better decisions...Better life

Best Answer

Good choice @Thumperian, so proud of your decision. Great motto too: Less alcohol...better decisions. Better decisions...Better life! 🙂👍

Best Answer
I agree totally! I do the same thing MODERATION!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fasted for 3 weeks from drinking alcohol and got my RHR down to 44. Started drinking again 6 days ago and without changing any thing else in my routine it has gone up a beat a day and is back up to 51. Definite, direct correlation. Goes down when you stop, goes up when you start again...

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's very interesting @Adriaan_J

Thank you for taking the time to share what you found during this last few weeks regarding the heart rate before and after drinking! 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s so true. I have noticed the exact same correlation. Only factor that
changed was alcohol consumption. And it takes about a week of being back on
alcohol and it goes right back up. I only enjoy two drinks per night but
it’s enough to affect it. I’m starting another fast from alcohol today. We
will see how long I fast this time, but I’m seriously considering just
giving it up altogether unless it’s like a special occasion.
--
~Mindful living, pose to plate~

Tish Vincent
Owner
Lotus & Lentils
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a data geek too and noticed exactly the same thing. I actually have averaged my resting heart rate leading up to and following nights where I have a drink or several drinks. My RHR goes up about 2 bpm the day following drinking and then comes down with a roughly exponential decay over the next few days. With a single drink it goes up slightly less, but follows a similar pattern. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. Doesn't seem worth it and my life's pretty much the same either way...

Best Answer
0 Votes