Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254
Daemus if it's OK with you could l friend you on fitbit so it's easier to
chat and help each other. Just send a friend request, l'll press OK and
you'll be added to my friends list. ONLY IF THAT'S ALRIGHT WITH YOU???
Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually don't have one but thinking of getting one, I found this forum with some googling and noticed quite of few people in here were somewhat relatable so I decided to post in here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This post is general remark and not meant for anyone in particular...

There's no doubt that even though alcohol can 'take the edge off', over time, it can increase stress levels. It's a double edged sword when if we need to relax, it's perfectly natural to reach for a beer only to find that after a bout of moderate to heavy drinking, we can feel even more anxious. I speak as somebody who went through a terrifying episode 10 years ago. I had been consuming a moderate amount of alcohol regularly since my mid teens (I'm 53 now) and had never thought to have a break. My anxiety levels started to rise around the time I bagged a position as the drummer in a well-known rock band. I had around 40 years worth of material to learn but instead of focussing on the job, I started to drink more to cope with the workload if ccntinuing to teach during the day and play gigs in the evening. One hangover lead to another and stress levels went higher and higher. With extreme tiredness, dehydration and a posioned system, eventually, I suffered the mother of a panic attack. As I'd never experienced one before, I suffered PTSD. As a consequence, it took me 6 months to rebuild my confidence, mental well-being and a sense of a life direction. I gave up alcohol for 2 years and now I keep a very close eye on what I consume. I have a Fitbit charge and sure enough, if I consume more than a few glasses of wine, my resting heart rate increases by around 15%. Anyway, I'm happy to report that my journey into temporary insanity was a blip and entirely down to my own bad housekeeping. I've not experienced anything like it since. Be careful what you consume. If it feels wrong, then it is. Stop it or cut down. Your body has many ways telling you things are not as they should be. Drink plenty of water, exercise as much as you can and watch how much alcohol you consume. A raised resting heart rate after a few beers is not the start of breakdown but it shows that alcohol has a certain destabilising effect on your body's ability to function in a most effective way.

Best Answer
Thank you for the tip. Look l totally agree with you on what you've been
saying, l myself only have 1_2 Max glasses of red wine a day. Apparently
the polyphenols are supposed to help prevent heart disease and others. I'm
57 years old and exercise 7 days a week! I walk 6 miles minimum every day.
Moderation is the key l believe to most situations. In the past my RHR was
a little high however that was due to not being active enough!! I changed
all that and currently it's on 54bpm _RHR my diet is good with plenty of
fruit and vegetables every day following the guidelines as recommended. I
am not disagreeing with you in fact the contrary. All I'm trying to do is
respond to the message that I received from you just now from the fitbit
community that we're all apart of! Thanks again!!! 👣👣👣👣👣👣
Best Answer
0 Votes

I stopped alcohol 8 days ago and my resting heart rate has dropped 4-5 bpm and the lowest since I'v had my fitbit versa for 2 1/2 years!

@MarathonChris wrote:

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am absolutely a data geek as well and I have seen exactly the same results. I have been tracking my RHR for nearly 3 years now and I see if I drink a single glass of wine or cocktail my RHR elevates the next day. This elevation continues if I drink every day 1-2 drinks per day. Lay off a day or two RHR starts down 1-2 per day. No drinks for a month RHR drops 1-2 BPM each day then levels off about 10 BPM lower after 2 weeks. Something that you might really find interesting is what happens to my BPM lows while I am sleeping. If I have a drink before I go to bed my low heart rate is slightly elevated the entire night. Days that I wouldn't have a drink my low BPM is always lower when I'm asleep. Sometimes this difference is as much as 15 bpm!  So I experimented with having a couple of drinks in the afternoon. I work from home so it made afternoon conference calls much more fun :). If I would have the second drink before 6:00 with no other intake and go to bed around 10 guess what, my sleeping low BPM was always lower and my RHR dropped as if I hadn't had anything to drink that day. My unprofessional theory is that if your body is trying to remove alcohol from your system while you sleep it is working harder and thus increasing your heart rate while you sleep and the way Fibit averages your RHR increases that as well. As a side note, I don't see much difference in sleep cycles or the amount of deep sleep vs light vs rem.  All very interesting to me but it only tells you what we already know, that it is probably better not to drink at all. However, my wife still has stupid low RHR with no effect from drinking on RHR that we can see. I'm more than a little jealous!!

Best Answer
Yeah gooday look what you are saying seems to make sense. I'll take it all
on board. I only have 1_2 drinks per day (beer) only _safe recommendations
apparently and my resting heart rate is currently sitting on 60 bpm. I
monitor it every day and it's as steady as a rock according to my Dr.
Thanks for the update, all the best!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys, this is a really good topic. I don't drink almost any alcoholic beverages But next time a friend of mine does it, I'll check that information. I'll keep you updated about it.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
Hi look l drink 1-2 beers maximum each day, sometimes only 1 beer and other
days l don't even have a drink. This is the safe limit according to the
experts. Anything within moderation. My rhr is currently 60 bpm, yesterday
59, prior to that its stayed at 60 I've found a beer or two - max makes no
difference to rhr. I look after and monitor my heart health too. If I felt
that I was doing something to the detriment of my heart and health I'd stop
immediately however these are my findings at this point in time
Best Answer
thanks, I've been finding the responses very informative.
Best Answer
No worries just trying to help out with what I've personally
experienced!!!!
Best Answer

You hit the nail on the head1-2 a day doesn’t Make a difference so in theory shouldn’t be detrimental to health. I wish I could stick to 1-2 at the weekend.

Best Answer
Yeah I know it can be hard but it can be done _willpower!! If you keep on
reminding yourself why you're doing something or needing to act a certain
way or whatever etc etc, if it's for the right reasons _especially your
health and lifestyle it becomes much easier to accomplish. Don't deny
yourself but don't overindulge either. Listen to your body and go by what
the experts say. Good luck!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really liked the way you guys explained this topic. Smiley Happy

I read an article which mentioned that cardiovascular system is affected by alcohol. At the time of drinkingalcohol can cause a temporary increase in heart rate and blood pressure. Have you noticed this? If so, specifically with what type of drinks? Thanks in advance! 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

A few glasses of red wine find me awake at 3am with an elevated heart rate of 90bpm! Usually, I'm around 62bpm when asleep. Red wine is the worst for this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
In excess (alcohol) more than 1 or 2 per day for sure an increase in blood
pressure and heart rate will occur however in moderation (NO) in fact it's
already been scientifically proven drinking in moderation decreases your
chances of developing heart disease 1-2 drinks per day. No more than 14
drinks per week. 1 drink being (1) 375 ml can of 3.5%alc content. The
higher the alcohol content the less you drink.
Best Answer
0 Votes
That is interesting. I've never though about what I'm drinking. I thought
red wine was good for the heart. 💔 maybe not. I'll pay attention to that.
Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes
There is no extra benefit with red or white wine compared to a beer or any
other alcohol a recent study has confirmed including a recent chat with my
doctor who told me this. It's been told for a long time that red wine was
more beneficial than others and yes it sucked me in as well for a while
until I found out otherwise from a reliable source (doctor) +other sources
as well mind you since then. It's been confirmed that alcohol is beneficial
as far as having heart health benefits goes only in strict moderation
_1-2max (drinks) per day, preferably 1 otherwise alcohol will do damage in
excess. If you don't drink, don't start. Rule of thumb!!! If you do drink
MODERATION.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh absolutely! Every week my resting HR is in the lower 50s and I don’t
drink during the week. Every weekend I do drink, and it’s up in the 60s.
Definitely impacts my RHR, if I travel and drink in evening with
colleagues, it does the same thing.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't find this with me we're drinking is concerned and rhr but
moderation is the key
Best Answer
0 Votes