Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate day after drinking alcohol

ANSWERED

I am a data geek so I like tracking the HR data from my Fitbit.  I am an runner and I log my average heartrate during my runs as well as my resting heart rate for that day to get a % HR number.  It lets me know how hard I am working.

One thing I did notice about my resting heart rate is that it would elevate 1 - 3 bpm for the day after drinking alcohol (for me usually a couple of glasses of wine) the night before.  The HR would stay slightly elevated for a day or two, then drop back down again.

Has anyone else noticed a casual correlation between resting heart rate and low to moderate alcohol consumption?

Best Answer
254 REPLIES 254

This happens to me quite often, I'm considering quting drinking all together, my RHR fluctuates alot in numbers of rarely 60, usually around 76 to 86 with possible anxiety included, if I drink it goes up by a huge number, I only had about 6-7 beers and woke up this morning with a RHR of 100+ then it slowly went down to about 90 I believe, as of right now I think it's close to 100, I've gone to the hospital numorous times for this exact reason and my EKG tests(got 4 done in the course of a month) they all came back fine, right now 100 is high and I'm not sure if it's because I'm constantly thinking about it and checking it, I'm thinking of getting an echocardiogram, I'm assuming I might have an underlying health issue and that I probably shouldn't be drinking at all, I'm also only 24 years old, what do you guys think?

Best Answer
Gooday daemus, look I've found the opposite when it comes to alcohol. I'm
57 years old the ticker was on 57 bpm, currently 59!!optimal RHR apparently
is between 60 and 80 bpm. My Dr has told me that if it goes to 85or above
there could be a problem!! Yours is way higher than that. Get it looked at
by your Dr!!! That's my advice HOPE IT HELPS YOU!!!!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Definitely see a doc to make sure all is okay.  The concerning thing in your post is the statement that you "only" had 6 - 7 beer.  That is a lot of beer.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was replying to someone else that had 6_7beers, not me!! I advised them
to see a Dr but I agree with you it is a hell of a lot of beer to drink at
once. Probably part of the problem. Me myself I only have 1_2 drinks per
day which the American heart association says is acceptable. REPLY IF YOU
WISH??
Best Answer
0 Votes
I am thinking that at 24 and you are a runner - so lots of exercise - your
RHB should be way lower than that, but if you look at all the people that
find the same thing as you - saying that their RHB goes up with alcohol,
maybe slowing the alcohol down at least will be the solution.
Best Answer
I don't know who you think your talking to but it's not me with the problem
__get the facts!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I replied to the wrong message.  Sorry.  Either way, I was just commenting that in my opinion 6-7 beer in one sitting is a lot of beer.  That's just my opinion though...
Best Answer
0 Votes
No look that's fine l totally agree 6_7 beers in my opinion is ridiculous.
The guy that messaged me about this was 24 years old, his resting heart
rate was 100+after drinking this amount of beer and he was wondering WHY!!
We all enjoy the occasional drink, 1_2 (moderation)! Some people really do
over indulge in a good thing and then panic when things go wrong!! Anyway
my apologies for being slightly abrupt!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

yeah I went and seen my dr and he said 60-90 is apparently fine, I just noticed that my RHR goes up to 100 if I drink a few beers the next day and that I haven't had a chance to tell him yet but I was reading some studies saying that they tested a large amount of teengers at ocktoberfest which is a huge drink gathering all of their RHRs were in the 100s after drinking so I'm assuming that's fine, it's down to about 72-76 today, I also mentioned I had 4 EKGs just done a few months back and they didn't find anything concerning there, although I'd like my RHR to be alot lower than 70s 80s I'm assuming I have to exercise alot more..

Best Answer
0 Votes
These EKG's!! Were they stress echo cardiographs or something else??
Best Answer
0 Votes
Try having a 16 ounces of water or more after every beer before you have another, and see what impact that will have on your RHR.  RHR is affected by many factors, including but not limited to your emotional state, caffeine intake and hydration level.  Alcohol messes with several of those factors, but it does an exceptionally great job in making you dehydrated.  Keeping hydrated will also aid in allowing your kidneys to process 5% of the alcohol into your urine, and will allow your liver to function more efficiently as it processes up to 90% of the alcohol into acetic acid.  As an added bonus, if you keep yourself hydrated while drinking you will likely avoid a nasty hangover.
Best Answer
0 Votes

As little as one drink makes my resting hear rate higher (from 50s to 70s) which in turn gives me anxiety because I see this happening on my Fitbit which then causes my heart rate to go even higher. I sometimes wish these devices had never been invented. I guess it’s good though because I now limit my consumption to 1 drink a day 2-3 times per week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

BA560FC3-827D-40C9-92E3-E70E1F50D50C.png

The increases are days where I had ONE drink. It takes my RHR days to get back to normal (mid 50s) and often there is a dip where it goes below normal then rebounds. I’ve had all kinds of medical tests and my heart is fine despite occasional palpitations that are mostly stress (and alcohol) related. Maybe at 42 my body is just telling me I don’t really need alcohol anymore. I know 61 is not a bad RHR but it’s all relative and when it’s that high it’s very hard to sleep for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the tip but I'll follow what the American heart association says
is acceptable which is 2 Max beers per day, not even that and as far as my
RHR is concerned I'm in the fifties!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went to the hospital about 4 times within a few months for alcohol related issues first time was alcohol withdrawal they thought, the other few times were my heart was high and I couldn't lower it down or relax at all, another time was when I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling really weak and sweating all over my body like crazy so I called 911 and by the time they got to my house I was feeling better but the dr said it was a dehydration spell, all the times I went they hooked me up to electrocardiogram they weren't stress tests or anything they were done while just laying down and they said they didn't see anything abnormal and they didn't seem to think that my current RHR is anything to worry about, although I do get some palpitations here and there, haven't gotten any the last few days but my dr is suppose to call me back so I can get a machine at home that montitors my heart so I'm waiting on that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I think that's what happend to me I kept looking at it constantly and I wasn't able to relax at all, by the end of the day it dropped back to my normal RHR

Best Answer
0 Votes
Get a STRESS TEST done. It's much more accurate than just lying down on the
floor. If there's a problem it'll show up. The cardiologist watches your
heart on the computer while you're on the treadmill. I've had one done just
to be on the safe side and all good. YOU DEFINITELY NEED ONE. It'll give
you piece of mind.
Best Answer
0 Votes
What monster did I start

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't know if you're being polite or other?? Have a nice day!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks man, I'll ask my doc about getting one, my RHR is at 84-88 today for some reason, didn't drink anything lol

Best Answer
0 Votes