Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit one does not count steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had my fitbit one for several weeks and at first it counted steps quite accurately I think.  The last two days it does not count steps even when I am walking on a hard surface such as a sidewalk outside.  My device is synced with my iphone and the computer and it still doesn't count steps.  I am so disappointed because I need to be more active and I wanted to show my doctor that I am indeed trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried a restart?

Do it at least 3 times.

Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

If that doesn't help
Contact Support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

If you need to search for post use the search  at the top of any forum. It works very well to find things you are looking for

Hope to see you around the forums!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried a restart?

Do it at least 3 times.

Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

If that doesn't help
Contact Support
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

If you need to search for post use the search  at the top of any forum. It works very well to find things you are looking for

Hope to see you around the forums!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue -- One seems to count steps on a whim, while my Zip never missed a step.  

Question:  If a restart corrects the issue with the One, how often does this have to be done to ensure accuracy?  I like to put the tracker on and forget it until the end of the day -- not constantly have to check to be sure it's counting correctly.  

I prefer the One to the Zip because it's rechargeable and the display can be read without my glasses, but my priority is not having to fuss with it. 

Thanks so much for any help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this 'restart' a bit like rebooting the computer when it is having trouble?  I never knew the One should be restarted.  Does this erase all the statistics prior to the restart date and time?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This describes my situation also.  My 'One' seems to count on a whim and I also like the fact that it is rechargeable.  I do like the device, but it is most discouraging to clip it to my pants pocket and then go to check it four hours later and it says I've walked 'zero' steps.  I will try the restart and see how that goes.

Best Answer

Well, I have given up on the One and reverted back to the Zip.  Played with them most of the day yesterday, and even with numerous "restarts" the One would count steps, then quit, for no apparent reason that I could see.  From the specs, the Zip and One use the same 3-axis accelerometer to count steps, so counts should be similar over same distance. 

I'm really disappointed -- loved the features of the One.  But happy to have the Zip. 

Gammabear, hope you have better luck with your One and that the restart fixed the issue with your device.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@grammabear Thanks for joining the Fitbit family! Before doing the restart; please sync your tracker, that way you won't loose any data. Yes, the restart is like when you reboot a computer when having trouble! Please try that out and do it a couple of times.

@g.moo Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for trying the steps provided by @WendyB

I recommend setting your One as a new device! That has helped other users in the past to fix this kind of issues! Just set it up once again.

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your solution seems to have helped with my problem.  My 'One' worked much better yesterday after the reset.  Do I understand the need for a reset ...........this needs to be done anytime I have to reboot my computer because of PC problems?  Thank you for your time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

SantiFitbit

Thanks so much for the help.  I did perform a "clean install," deleting my Zip from the app, deleting the app, restarting the One, rebooting my phone, and reinstalling the Fitbit app (v 3/72017) and adding the One (6.60) as a new (and the only) Fitbit device.  Even removed battery from Fitbit Zip, to be sure there could be no interference. 

All was fine for a while, but after a few hours I had the same issue -- the One counts steps, then doesn't, then counts maybe 3 of 10, then counts correctly again.  I do have it on all-day sync (have used wifi only), so it's possible that it works until it auto-syncs with my iPhone 6s, then that somehow causes a glitch.  No more free time to play, and so must return One for a refund while still able to do so.

I did, though, want to express my appreciation for the suggestions.  Fitbit does have excellent customer service, and these boards are very helpful.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@grammabear Thanks for your reply! I'm very glad to hear that the restart helped you fix this issue and that you are back on track now. I'd recommend performing the restart only when you see/feel that your tracker is not tracking data properly. It is not needed to do every time you reboot your computer! 

@g.moo You are very welcome! Thanks you for trying all the steps provided on this thread. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem with your One.

Where and when did you purchased it? 

If you purchased it at the Fitbit Store you have 45 days to return it for a refund. Check the warranty here.

If you purchased it at a different store the best thing to do is to go back to that store and ask for a replacement or refund (I would go for the replacement Smiley Very Happy). If you just bought it, the store should have a warranty for that!

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

SantiFitBit ~ Thank you for taking time to post a reply that worked for me.  Now to work on accumulating more steps on a daily basis.  🙂

Best Answer

@grammabear You are more than welcome! We need to keep walking and walking, no time to lose! 

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with, check this friends thread to add some! 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes