Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 band breaking

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Charge 2 Which I have had for almost a year.  I am on my 4th band, They keep breaking on the plastic piece that attaches to the fitbit itself.  I am not sure if this is still under warranty as I am either over a year or close to it, however, if this keeps happening, I can't afford to continue to replace the band every 3-4 months if even that long.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This is a very very very common problem. There is a thread with 30 plus pages.

long story short is fitbit is not addressing the problem simply replacing while under warranty. You will likely be SOL unless support takes kindly on you and gives an exception to your cause.

fitbit support stated that the life expectancy of these watches is suppose to be much greater then a year. They refuse to comment or answer why they will not address the root cause or provide a solution.

they do offer a discount code for a new tracker but the terms of it are so restrictive it’s a waste of your time and I highly suggest turning them down.

fitbit rubbed me the wrong way by offering me a discount on a new device when mine had multiple problems then after the fact said I could not actually get a new device just able to pay to replace what I have. Pretty much made an offer then took it back. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
90 REPLIES 90

This is a very very very common problem. There is a thread with 30 plus pages.

long story short is fitbit is not addressing the problem simply replacing while under warranty. You will likely be SOL unless support takes kindly on you and gives an exception to your cause.

fitbit support stated that the life expectancy of these watches is suppose to be much greater then a year. They refuse to comment or answer why they will not address the root cause or provide a solution.

they do offer a discount code for a new tracker but the terms of it are so restrictive it’s a waste of your time and I highly suggest turning them down.

fitbit rubbed me the wrong way by offering me a discount on a new device when mine had multiple problems then after the fact said I could not actually get a new device just able to pay to replace what I have. Pretty much made an offer then took it back. 

Best Answer

I am having the same problem, I am on my fourth band and my fit bit is only 11 months old. I am not getting any support from the company and they are acting like this is a problem they never heard of before. I purchased from fit bit since the very beginning but I will never buy their product again. I also will try to discourage anyone I know from buying their product.  My product goes out of warranty next month and who can afford to replace a $40 band every couple months, not me. 

Best Answer
I am on my third different fitbit. I started with the fitbit 1 then I got
the fit bit Charge HR. I wanted a product that did more so I bought the
charge 2 that does most of what I want with out breaking the bank. But I
agree.... I am very disappointed with the company and the fact that they
don't want to fix the problem. I also am on my 4th band and it is very
discouraging that the company doesn't think they need to fix the problem.
They know it is happening... this board if FULL of complaints about bands
breaking.
Best Answer

My band broke. Is covered on the 1 yr warrantee?

Best Answer

Yes the band is covered in the 1 year warranty 

Best Answer
Thank you, I know it is covered under the 1 year warranty, my issue was
that my warranty is almost up. I have gone through 4 bands in 1 year. I
cannot afford to buy new bands every 3 or 4 months going forward. I would
really like for Fitbit to address the issue of the bands breaking for this
tracker.
Best Answer

I am also on my 4th band in 11 months.....today my band broke right in the middle of my exercise class, sending my fitbit flying. If these things are not rugged enough to withstand the activities of an active person, then what's the point? I am really disappointed with this product, and would not recommend it to anyone any more. 

Best Answer

Hi,

Same problem, simple result of what would have been a neat upselling idea from marketing offering changeable straps thwarted by poor product design.

As the strap mounting lug wears through normal use the clip fails - result lost Fitbit.

Cheers.

Best Answer

Hi,

Same problem, simple result of what would have been a neat upselling idea from marketing offering changeable straps thwarted by poor product design. 

Without a reliable strap the Charge 2vis hardly fit for purpose.

As I see the problem the strap mounting lug wears through normal use and l the clip fails - result lost Fitbit.

Mine plus glue is still in warranty so I'll see how I get on with a claim for a new unit, a new strap won't fix the problem.

Cheers.

Best Answer

I wish you luck, they would only give me a new strap.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I only received a new band too. And now this one is starting to break. I
am past my 1 year on the device so I am going to have to pay for another
strap.... Terrible solution if you ask me.
Best Answer

......a business with it's head in the sand. I'd have another go and ask them why they think their device "Is fit for purpose" 

That should return a positive result for both parties.

Cheers.

Best Answer

The mine broke after 5 months, I thought I don't have chance, but after reading you , maybe I had!

I'm waiting since 2 weeks for a new band.
Before I had a Surge, but band after 10 months was destroyed and cannot be changed.
I accepted their offer and bought the charge 2 for half price, but I was dissapointed again!

Not sure that I will buy 4 or 5 bands.... better buy from another producer

Best Answer

"Fit for purpose" is the key phrase, win win for the consumer and the manufacturer, assuming you get a replacement. No replacement then move to a brand that is fit for purpose.

Then if possible try to buy an alternative tracker from your Fitbit retailer. Explain the product issues - they won't want to loose you as a previous customer.

Failing that contact a competing manufacturer to Fitbit and offer them your failed Fitbit for a discount on their product.

Hopefully Fitbit will do the right thing.

Cheers.

Best Answer
I am just so disappointed in this company that they couldn’t stand up and do the right thing and fix the problem. It’s a quality control issue not a purchaser issue. I will never do business with this company again.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I bought my Charge2 May 2017.  Six months later the band broke.  I had my original package and paperwork so I was able to return it and got a new one.  Now, 11 months later the second one broke - the same as the first did.  I contacted FitBit this time and since I was still under warranty they are sending me a new band.  HOPEFULLY this one stays intact otherwise next month my warranty is out of date!  Customer service was very helpful but insisted it is not a quality control issue - I'm not so sure since it has happened twice.  I'm careful with my FitBit not to wear in the shower or do anything that might cause it to break. The "watch" part works great - band no so much. I agree with other users that they (FitBit) needs to do a better job at QC!!  

Best Answer

I agree. For us to have tonpay constantly for new bands that are not cheap seems like a scam. Had I known this was an issue, I might have invested in something different. If they supply us with free bands after the 1 year warranty runs out, then I'll reconsider.

Best Answer

I agree. For us to have to pay constantly for new bands that are not cheap seems like a scam. Had I known this was an issue, I might have invested in something different. If they supply us with free bands after the 1 year warranty runs out, then I'll reconsider.

Best Answer

Hi,

The "fitness for purpose" approach works. Fitbit stopped repeated requests for photo's and proof of purchase in an instant and quickly sent a new strap which so far is OK.

I do have some sympathy with Fitbit, as the strap issue must be having a significant impact on revenue and market share. The smart thing to do would be to bundle a spare strap with a Fitbit...........

Best Answer