Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I wear my Charge 3 in salt water?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone had an issue with their fitbit not being waterproof in salt water? I heard recently that someone went on vacation and the salt water totally destroyed their fitbit. I was under the assumption that they are waterproof down to so many feet not depending upon the type of water. 

Any and all response would be very helpful.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
28 REPLIES 28

Thank you. I appreciate it.

I have found this in ‘FitBit Help’ by searching, ‘Can I swim or shower with my FitBit device?’

Each time after swimming, I am rinsing it off with fresh water and drying thoroughly as recommended.

Fitbit Ace 2
Fitbit Charge 3
Fitbit Flex 2
Fitbit Inspire series
Fitbit Ionic
Fitbit Versa series Swimproof in a lake, pool, or ocean (up to 50 meters).

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to disagree with this. While Fitbit claims that the Charge 3 is waterproof I am on my third one, and it has been exposure to water that killed it every time. It lasted for a few months each time but it seems as though the waterproofing wears out within a few months. We are not talking any kind of extreme use here either. Just showers and some lane swimming with the watch being given proper care in line with FitBit guidelines. I have had some luck with getting a replacement or a discount but it really irks me that every few months one of these goes to the landfill. My current one is still working but it has the white lines of impending death on the screen. Not sure if I can justify another one despite loving the functionality. 

Best Answer

It baffles me that Fitbit and companies like it make all these waterproof claims when they are clearly bull**ahem**. If so many people have trouble with their devices in water then just don't say it's waterproof!! Instead of lying to your customers and pissing them off. Ridiculous. And no doubt Fitbit and others will ignore all this customer feedback because all these big companies care about is their bottom line. I swear customer feedback goes into a black hole these days 

Best Answer
Agreed!

Téléchargez Outlook pour iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Was in Costa Rica last week and after noting that the Charge 3 was water resistant up to 50 meters, thought I'd try wearing it in the water.

It was fine in pool and even OK after I spent a few minutes paddling in ocean water. But after a full morning snorkeling trip, I experienced the exact same problem as Neptunebch on Page 1. Screen went black and the unit vibrated several times and finally went dead. Now the unit does recharge BUT it goes from 100% to zero within 40 minutes of wearing it. Plus it no longer tracks heart rate.  I tried a soft reboot and then a hard one.  No luck. 

My Charge 3 is 18 months old so sadly out-of-warranty. While I was happy with the data my Fitbit provided, I am considering the Apple watch as a replacement since it offers more functionality and is (imho) a sexier device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I completely agree... i have had a few before they made the waterproof versions. I've never gone swimming with both my Versa's but both times have seriously just spashed ocean water on myself not even really submerging the watch and the watch just goes blank. The first time it came back on after a few days but then it stopped reading my heart rate. So because it was less than a year n because the heart rate wasn't working they sent me a replacement. Now the second 1 after the same senerio just did the same thing. I dont need a watch that is only waterproof in the shower if 5 meters is the cap? As with most I love this watch. Battery is the longest lasting n love all the feature but dont sell me something that is waterproof for swimming in a pool n ocean cuz im sure the price reflects that.

Best Answer

Completely agree. Just got back from the beach and my Charge 3 is toast. It started vibrating nonstop on my first swim in the ocean and then died. After a day it will charge up to 100% but is completely dead after only a couple of hours. Up until then i was only having to charge once every 6 or 7 days. While it is working the display is barely readable. This device is not water proof..

Best Answer

Guess it depends on a concrete unit.. there is obviously some sort of inconsistency in manufacturing process,  as my device is routinely used in the pool and has been used in the ocean multiple times..after 18 months still alive and kicking:) 

Best Answer

I would say that the Charge 3 cannot handle sale water. Even a surface swim in the ocean will destroy it. I didn’t putt two and two together until today. I went to the beach in May, and the first week of June it became non functional. Second day at the beach now, and the replacement just died. Blank screen, and the LED does not flash, but it will sync with the phone. It’s an inferior product. I’m guessing the Charge 4 has the sam issue since it’s essentially the same case and the electronics might or might not be the same on the inside. I’ll be buying a Garmin this afternoon. FitBit is no longer with the hassle. 

Best Answer