Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 Syncing help

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, 

I just upgraded tho Charge 2 and I must say syncing is frustrating to say the least. Here are my issues:

I am on a Desktop that has no bluetooth  - with the Charge HR this was no issue due to the dongle. I assumed the Charge 2 cable took over the role of the dongle, but it doesn't, so no syncing with the pc is possible unless I buy an extra bluetooth dongle, not even when the watch is connected to the cable. Really?

If I upgrade I expect to _at least_ have the same stuff as before. Adding new features while backing up on others, especially when they are so basic, is just inexcusable imo.

I noticed that the desktop app syncs when the phone app is synced. So if I want to check my stats on the desktop, I must first turn on the phone app and sync it - yes, because even though it is set to "always connect", you still have to sync it manually. 

Oh and make sure you have internet, because without internet connection you can't sync either. So what is the bluetooth for anyway? In the helpsection (https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1866/?l=en_US&c=Topics%3ASyncing&p=charge_2&fs=S... -> android devices) it says absolutetely _nothing_ about needing an internet conntection to sync. Wouldn't you say that is basic necessary info when troubleshooting on why the app isn't syncing?

It is very frustrating to be trying to figure out how something so trivial works and finding little to no information. Please be clear on what the bluetooth does, why the internet connection is needed, and how come the cable is there solely to charge, not giving people without BT on their computer any other option than buying an extra device to be able to use it properly.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration @Sammael. The intention behind not having a dongle with Charge 2 is because it is optimized for mobile and Charge 2 is capable of syncing with computers using the machine's built-in Bluetooth for Mac and Windows 10.

The reason an internet connection is needed for syncing is because when you sync your tracker, activity data moves from your tracker to our servers, it's not stored natively on your mobile device or computer.

Lastly, I would recommend turning "All Day Sync" on  your Android device. This will let your tracker background sync with your mobile device periodically throughout the day.

I hope that this helps.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
101 REPLIES 101

What did you upgrade from? Any dongle will work with any of the units. So you should have one unless it was an Ultra

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't have the dongle from the hr anymore. Even if I did, the solution shouldn't be to use hardware from other products.
Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration @Sammael. The intention behind not having a dongle with Charge 2 is because it is optimized for mobile and Charge 2 is capable of syncing with computers using the machine's built-in Bluetooth for Mac and Windows 10.

The reason an internet connection is needed for syncing is because when you sync your tracker, activity data moves from your tracker to our servers, it's not stored natively on your mobile device or computer.

Lastly, I would recommend turning "All Day Sync" on  your Android device. This will let your tracker background sync with your mobile device periodically throughout the day.

I hope that this helps.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Thank you for taking your time to answer me. I'll see the issue as solved, because there is nothing more that can be done on your end, but I am still disappointed.

I wish I had done a little bit more research before spending the extra $. A lot stationary desktops don't have bluetooth and that the watch is optimized for mobile feels like an excuse to save some money or make people withouth a bluetooth device spend another extra 20$ on the fitbit site. I would ask for an elaboration on how it is optimized for mobile use, but I doubt I'd receive a satisfatory answer to that, prolly because there really isn't one given that the Charge HR and 2 even share the same app.

As I had commented on my first post, "all day sync" is active. I still need to start the app to sync it at any given moment.

Anyway, thank you for your attention and have a nice day.

Best Answer

Hi Derrick,

It is =super= annoying that the mobile app only syncs with the tracker when it has an internet connection. I use a VPN app on my android phone, and the fitbit app just refuses to sync when I have that running. So I have to switch off the VPN to allow my Charge 2 to sync. I've whitelisted the Fitbit app, to allow it to bypass the VPN, but it makes no difference.

I also foresee this "no intenet, no syncing" to become a problem when travelling, especially when I can't sync with the VPN running. I really don't like using free/public wifi without having a VPN connection to protect my data..

Any way to fix this?

Otherwise I'm enjoying my new Charge 2 🙂

Cheers, Stefanie

Best Answer

But it isn't optimized. There is a real problem here. I tried removing it and re-pairing-it can't find it. I've tried re-setting the fidbit. I've tried force quitting the app on my iPhone. I've tried removing the app and re-installing. There is a software problem that Fidbit needs to fix. I love the features. I would love to change the exercises loaded on the charge 2 to ones I use-but I can't sync it it to the ones I have selected.  I have followed the advice posted and I believe many others have, too. PLEASE do an update that fixes the problem.   

Best Answer

I've just upgraded from a charge HR to the new Charge 2.  Like others I've been unable to sync my Ch2 with my laptop which is the device I choose to use.  This is very frustrating as I use the weekly data as motivation and measurement.  Surely there's a way for me to achieve this basic aspect of what Fitbit is supposed to offer?

Best Answer

I bought new Charge 2, unable to charge my new device. Precharge battery is now exhausted not able to figure out issue with device or cable or dongle. Not even setup is made. Really frustrating.

There is no vibration as suggested in manual while connecting the cable. how this can be sorted

Best Answer

I posted about this, as well. Seems to be some issue trying to sync to a pc/laptop. Are any of you getting error messages or it just plain doesn't do it? Mine keeps trying then gets a red exclamation point and says it is already connected to something else and I have to disconnect it. I have an android tablet that I use, as well. Even if I power down the tablet completely, it gives me the same message. I have uninstalled/reinstalled, deleted the Charge 2 and added it as a new device, reset, etc. Not sure what else to do but this issue is definitely not solved.

Best Answer

Charge 2 brand new device is complete dead now no display, no error, no vibration - on connecting to charger or after disconnection as well.

Tried multiple times to keep the button long pressed for reset but no luck

Best Answer
I have it on the sync all day setting and mine does not automatically sync. I need to go and force it to sync each day and even that takes awhile. How can I fix that?
Best Answer

Are You sure that the cable has contact with the pins on the watch, for me it could be fiddly and take some time, after a while a see a battery icon.

I prefer the old cable I had on my charge HR

Best Answer
I'm having the same issue with it not syncing this is very frustrating and after reading everyone's comments I think I've made up my mind I'm returning this charge 2! I didn't have this issue with my other fitbit .....not happy!!
Best Answer

Charge 2 charger is bit differnt its has its lock as well so looseness cannot occur until device or charger is faulty. i have troubleshooting session with fitbit team it didnot worked, they have initiated the replacement device process that will take 7-10 working days

Best Answer

For sync issue disable bluetooth, restart the phone & let device auto search and connect again after latest updates sync issue at times occuers, i faced same with charge HR now working fine

Best Answer
0 Votes
Every time I go the app back and forth, and to the device, Charge 2, I tried to turn on All Day Sync, but a message appeared, saying "Bluetooth Pairing Required." It also says "my Charge 2 and my iPhone and/or iPad need to be paired before I can use the feature." It seems to me that my notifications are blocked or something. For the message that is mentioned, I could probably sync the stuff by myself. At least the tracker really works.
Best Answer

I have the new Charge 2 and it is super-annoying to have to manually sync it every day.  Now it won't sync at all with my Galaxy 5 or my laptop.  I have contacted support several times, done resets, etc.  and nothing works.  Not happy at all

Best Answer

Finally received charge 2 replacement, working fine nos sync issues with Sony as of now

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just purchased my Charge2 and having the same problems... returning it to bestbuy for another brand! 

Best Answer