Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 and Windows 7 -yes or no?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

OK, I've trawled to posts but can't find a simple answer. Does the Fitbit Charge 2 work with windows 7 or not? I'm thinking of buying one but my laptop runs on windows 7. I've tried Windows 10 but my broadband speed is so slow it doesn't work (that is it spends 24 hour just downloading updates and I can't use it during this time). So, at present, I'm stuck with windows 7 (which I prefer anyway). My phone is Samsung and an older model so I doubt if that is compatable now! Before I fork out £139 can anyone let me know if the Charge will work?

Annoying that Fitbit assume everyone has access to the latest technology if it doesn't!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @crazycatwoman! It's great to hear that you're interested in the Charge 2. I have one since 2016 and I definitely love it! Smiley Very Happy

Totally agree with @SteveH! The Fitbit app is compatible with over 200 phones and tablets, as well as Windows 10 computers. To verify that your phone or tablet is compatible with the Fitbit app, go to www.fitbit.com/devicesSmiley Very Happy

If you don’t have a compatible phone or tablet, you can set up and sync your Fitbit device on your computer using Fitbit Connect. Fitbit Connect is a free software application that lets your Fitbit device sync its data with your fitbit.com dashboard. 

If your computer isn’t Bluetooth-enabled, you must use a wireless sync dongle to set up and sync your Fitbit device. Most Fitbit devices don’t come with a dongle, but you can buy one from the Fitbit Store. 

To install Fitbit Connect and set up your device with Fitbit Connect and a Dongle:

1. Insert a wireless sync dongle into a USB port on your computer.
  2. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup.
  3. Scroll down and click the pink Download button. Make sure to download the one that says "PC".
  4. After the download completes, double-click the downloaded file to start installation.
  5. After installing, when prompted, choose Set up a New Fitbit Device
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Fitbit account and connect your device. 

pc.png

Hope this clarifies your question! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Your Samsung may be the better bet - older phones are more likely to be supported. You can check yours at www.fitbit.com/devices

As far as Windows 7 goes, the issue is that the fitbit app isn't available on that platform so you'd need to download and install the fitbit connect software to connect to the fitbit. Unfortunately this software can't make use of the computer's bluetooth so you'd need to also buy a fitbit wireless dongle. The dongle comes with some fitbit models, but not the Charge 2.

I can't guarantee windows 7 will work as there are some posts from people who have had problems - but it should. I'd spend some time searching the community before going down this route.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @crazycatwoman! It's great to hear that you're interested in the Charge 2. I have one since 2016 and I definitely love it! Smiley Very Happy

Totally agree with @SteveH! The Fitbit app is compatible with over 200 phones and tablets, as well as Windows 10 computers. To verify that your phone or tablet is compatible with the Fitbit app, go to www.fitbit.com/devicesSmiley Very Happy

If you don’t have a compatible phone or tablet, you can set up and sync your Fitbit device on your computer using Fitbit Connect. Fitbit Connect is a free software application that lets your Fitbit device sync its data with your fitbit.com dashboard. 

If your computer isn’t Bluetooth-enabled, you must use a wireless sync dongle to set up and sync your Fitbit device. Most Fitbit devices don’t come with a dongle, but you can buy one from the Fitbit Store. 

To install Fitbit Connect and set up your device with Fitbit Connect and a Dongle:

1. Insert a wireless sync dongle into a USB port on your computer.
  2. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup.
  3. Scroll down and click the pink Download button. Make sure to download the one that says "PC".
  4. After the download completes, double-click the downloaded file to start installation.
  5. After installing, when prompted, choose Set up a New Fitbit Device
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Fitbit account and connect your device. 

pc.png

Hope this clarifies your question! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you both Steve and MarreFitbit for your very quick and helpful responses. I have a fitbit dongle as I currently have a Fitbit Flex, so I'm guessing that might work. I have a windows 10 tablet, but I can't use it at home due to our archaic broadband issues (I live in the sticks and no one wants to upgrade our broadband speed - so much for Government policy). I can use it when I visit family or go on holiday but that's not great for everyday use. I'll think about this and might give the dongle option a go. I just didn't want to upgrade my Fitbit if I couldn't get any use out of it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anytime @crazycatwomanSmiley Very Happy

Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance, it's always our pleasure. 

Hope to see you participating in the Community more often since I think it would be awesome for you to explore our Community. You can go ahead and log to any of the topics that might be of your interest in our Discussion boards. Feel free to comment and contribute with your knowledge and experience.

Have a great day! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

MarreFitbit:

Thanks for the details on how to use a Charge 2 with Windows 7, even though it seems that Fitbit should supply the sync dongle  required, rather than charge $7 for a 'refurbished' one.

Your instructions say to set up a new Fitbit account. I already have an account, with about 6 years of data on it. I have an Ultra, but Fitbit no longer allows Ultras to sync, so I have to buy a new Fitbit.

How do I link to my CURRENT account so that I can access all my old data?

Harry

Best Answer
0 Votes

According to fitbit tech support by phone fitbit 2 will not work with  Windows 7 - period and Amen. Basically whatt I got from them was Sorry.\, bit ot won't help for you to have a dongle.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Warden:

In the 1st sentence of your  message,  you said '...fitbit 2'. Did you mean Charge 2? If you did, then tech support does not know what they are talking about.

I have a Charge 2 which I bought last fall. You do need a dongle, but you can get them from Ebay, etc. My computer is Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. I already had the software installed on my computer, because I used to use an Ultra--that is, until Fitbit decided that they no longer wanted Ultra users to access their account, making the Ultra useless.

Just follow the instructions that Marre Fitbit posted. Make sure you get the Fitbit Connect software she mentioned.

Harry

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I have a charge 2. Thank you so much, I will get the dongle on EBay 👍

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes