Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 calories burned too high

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got my new Charge 2 on saturday so I've not tested it very long, but the calorie count on it seems WAY off. The BMR on it seems correct for my height/weight (1555) but then the calories burned when simply walking a bit are way too high.

Saturday, I went shopping for a few hours that got me around 10k steps in total. I also did a kickboxing workout (268 cals) and went biking (219 cals) and Fitbit calculated 3000 (!!!) calories burned that day. That just can't be right, when my BMR is only 1555 I should've burned 1445 cals with exercise according to Fitbit. Subtract the kickboxing and biking (which is way higher intensity than the walking, calories for that seem correct) from that and that leaves 958 calories burned for walking +/- 10.000 steps.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've Googled for a bit and it seems it was a problem back when the first Charge HR was released too, but I couldn't find a solution. I love the Fitbit and the app but it seems when it takes the constant HR into account when you're not very fit it just overestimates by a WAY too high number. If I ate what Fitbit is telling me I can eat, I'd gain an incredible amount of weight in a very short time.

The numbers I got when I was just counting steps without heart rate (using my phone, before I got my Fitibit) was way closer to the actual number I should be getting for something as easy-going as walking while shopping.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
168 REPLIES 168

@bernardmac wrote:

I am agreeing with you!  The calorie burn for me is way too high...

My previous reply wasn't directed at you but at curxxx. I just hadn't found the quote button and you posted a tad bit earlier than me so it looked like I was talking to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have experienced the same pattern.

I have used the Alta for 7 months, until i recently lost it. So i upgraded to the Charge 2.

With Alta- regular day of work, errands, walking my dogs, 10k steps= approximately 2100 to 2200 calories burned.

With Charge @2- same regular day, same errands, same walking with dogs, same 10k steps= 2500 to 2600 calories burned.@2- same regular day, same errands, same walking with dogs, same 10k steps= 2500 to 2600 calories burned.

Thats a big difference for me!

If i turn the heart rate monitor off on the Charg 2- the numbers are more in line with what i got with Alta.

I figure that since my heart rate is normally a bit elevated, and Fitbit uses average data for a "normal" heart rate, it thinks that i am exercesing/ straining myself a lot more than i actually am. Just because i am stressed and drank some caffeine, doesnt mean i am in the "fat burn zone."

Try turning off the heart rate monitor- see what numbers it gives you.

Best Answer
My calories is also major high! ... I have had mine a week .... for the first few days I have used it to sleep but when waking up everything on my watch was at 0 but my calories burned was like 500+ so I have started not wearing it at night so maybe it would restart to 0 but even when I'm not wearing it it's automatically like set too 500 .... is there a way I can get this sorted because this is a nightmare and I want to be as accurate as possible ... as I'm walk a lot between 10,000 - 15,000 steps at least .... during the day but I'm getting close to like 2500 calories burnt ... someone please help
Best Answer
0 Votes
It's supposed to have some calories burned showing even if you don't wear it or sleep. It's your bmr. We are taking about calories burned thru activities.
Best Answer
0 Votes
My calories is also major high! ... I have had mine a week .... for the first few days I have used it to sleep but when waking up everything on my watch was at 0 but my calories burned was like 500+ so I have started not wearing it at night so maybe it would restart to 0 but even when I'm not wearing it it's automatically like set too 500 .... is there a way I can get this sorted because this is a nightmare and I want to be as accurate as possible ... as I'm walk a lot between 10,000 - 15,000 steps at least .... during the day but I'm getting close to like 2500 calories burnt ... someone please help
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just got the charge 2 and I am very pleased with the tracker overall. But the calorie estimation is very high. As now the tracker shows 3518 calories (time 20:20) with 3:40h left until the tracker begins track the next day.

Weight: 93kg
Height: 190cm
Steps: 15000
Excercise: Weightlifting 50min and walking 80min

This seems a bit too high?? The calorie will show around 3800-4000 when clock hits 00:00.

I have checked my personal data and it's fine

Any thoughts?
Best Answer
0 Votes
I contacted support and they are sending me a replacement. Not sure if that's going to fix anything ...
Best Answer
0 Votes
Did you buy your tracker directly from fitbit.com? I live in sweden and dont know what to do. 4000 calorie burn yesterday
Best Answer
0 Votes
I purchased it on Amazon. The warranty still applies.
Best Answer
0 Votes
All right. Were do you live? Was it tricky to send the old one back? Really dont know what to do here
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree with all of you who think our fitbits are overestimating calorie burn. I'm apparently burning 3-4000 a day! I exercise, but there's no way that's accurate. I'd be a skeleton by now if that were true. I think the device is flawed. Mine's a Charge, with HR monitor. Which is also wildly inaccurate. Not that impressed with it TBH. Anyone recommend a more accurate device?
Best Answer

I got my fit bit charge 2 a couple of weeks ago. My calories burned is 10,000+.   I know this is wrong.  I have had numerous fit bits and never had this problem.  

Best Answer

So was here a solution to this post? Other than getting it replaced?

Best Answer
0 Votes
replacing it did not solve the issue.

i just turned off the heart rate monitor.
Best Answer

Had it replaced several times, still the same issue. Just turned off the heart rate monitor, seems to be a more realistic number.

Best Answer
Thankyou, I'm more interested on HR than on calories burned...sucks that
they have not solved this issue
Best Answer

As a sports nutritionist I can 100% guarantee that the calorie burn numbers my charge 2 display are significantly higher than what is realistic. It is my job to track food intake & create accurate meal plans for athletes, and from my own fitbit, its overestimating my daily calories by at least 500 per day and upwards of 1000 (I've had it for 2 weeks). All of my account data is correct, and I have set my goal to maintain weight, but if I ate as much as the app told me to, I would have easily gained weight since owning the device.

I have not tried disabling the HR function yet though.

Best Answer
It would be very interesting if you disable the Hr and let us know your opinion of whether it is accurate then!
Best Answer

About a year ago I had a Surge and eventually got rid of it becuase I was using the calories burned function to determine intake for cutting/bulking/maintaining.  Turns out the number wasn't near accurate enough.

I recently purchased a Charge HR 2.  Its in the mail.  Crossing my fingers that they improve the calories burned calculations.  Based on y'all's experiences, it doesn't seem that they have yet.  Bummer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just as an update, with the HR function turned off, my caloric burn for the day seems very accurate.

Fitbit might need to change their algorithm with HR and calories burnt or something.

Best Answer