Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3: The Problem of the Black Screen (across multiple devices)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had a Charge 3 for a couple years now (first device received Dec. 2018) and unfortunately The Problem has occurred a handful of times, across multiple Charge 3 devices...which is highly disappointing.

My first device was still under warranty (about 10 months in) when The Problem of the Black Screen first occurred. Thinking this was an isolated incident, I was issued and I have been using a replacement device. However, this did not stop The Problem from occurring a second time... with a new device no less! About 8 months in to owning the second device the screen was illegible with vertical bars across the clock face and the text was faint and flickering. Eventually the screen went black. I had tried all the usual routes to reset; yet no smiley face appeared. Now since this was my second device with a similar issue to the first I contacted customer support thinking that the second device would still be under its warranty since it took even less time than the first to develop The Problem... it wasn't. It was explained to me the warranty doesn't cover more than 365 days after the first device is first used... However wouldn't you think that after a NEW device is issued that a NEW warranty would be as well? After all it is a NEW device equally worthy of a NEW warranty. But alas it is not, which is a different Problem all together.

After a strongly worded message to customer support (with the only answer being order a new one with a discount) I had plans to switch to another service... BUT in what I can only imagine being a sign from the gods (a new software roll out probably) my device started to work again! I had no further issues! The screen had reset! The Problem was gone! That is, until a few days ago...

The screen is completely black! The Problem has returned! I have tried resetting but the device just vibrates! No smiley face appears and this time the heart rate monitor doesn't appear to be functioning either. The Problem has returned and seems to have won. In the face of defeat I plead to the Fitbit gods to spare my device but my cries go unanswered... and I am faced with a decision... to stay or not to stay...

Now I know Fitbit is a business and you want people to order new products but honestly it feels like a situation of planned obsolescence... especially right before the holidays. I take very good care of my products and like them to last as long as possible. The first Fitbit I had (the Fitbit Flex) lasted THREE YEARS! And the only reason I bought a new one was because I wanted one with a screen instead of just dots across the face. I gave the Flex to my mom (who never actually used it, but it WAS usable which is the important part) and I began to use the OG Charge (around the end of 2014/ early 2015) soon after its release. This one I actually lost in the ocean in 2017... so that one's on me... but it was still USABLE at the time the ocean gods called it home which is the important part. I got the Charge 2 in 2017, and toward the end of owning that I think the biggest problem I had was how long it held the charge... plus I wanted something I could swim with so even though I only had the Charge 2 about a year I was fine getting a new one. Which led me to the Charge 3 purchased by my boyfriend for me in November 2018 and first used Christmas day 2018. For those that don't know the Charge 3 was released in October 2018 so this was a brand new device. And theoretically being THE new and improved product it should be the best of the best. But neither the original device, nor the replacement I was issued, lasted a year. And previously I don't even think I had even used the warranty on any of the other Fitbit devices I had owned (but I could be wrong about that).

If that is going to be the shelf life of your products from here on out there are plenty of other companies I could go to; however, I really don't want to. I have been sticking with Fitbit since you have been so good for me in the past, I like your products and honestly most of my friends and I do challenges regularly which is a big plus to me when it comes to wearable devices... But I'd appreciate something (anything) from Fitbit explaining to me what is going on. A free device or service would be great but I highly doubt this would happen due to your corporate policies... even though through no fault of my own neither of my last two products lasted a full year and buying new devices when a factory problem is the issue is bound to get expensive which is something I cannot afford. I just need a reason to stay with Fitbit. And I'm hoping whoever responds to this is able to help me out in some way, shape, or form. Thank you for your time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

The same issue has just happened to me, after using my Charge 3 for just under two years.

I noticed that my screen was getting darker and darker and it just went completely black. I have searched the forum for answers before, but none worked. Apparently, this is a very common problem. Just like @anfoster13 described, the screen is completely black and the device vibrates when I press the button.

Since I live in the EEA (European Economic Area), the warranty period is two years. I purchased my Charge 3 in the middle of December, so it still has a warranty. This is such an obvious case of planned obsolescence because so many people experience the same issue.

I demand my device to be repaired or replaced.

Best Answer

@Kev1nY Thanks for reading this whole thing. I'm just so frustrated because Fitbit used to be such a quality product, and now no one in customer service is even helpful. It's like they are just there to push product...

Best Answer
0 Votes