Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 counting too many steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit charge 3 

counts my hand movements as steps.

I wear it on my non dominate hand but every time I move my arm up or down it counts those movements as steps. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
135 REPLIES 135

I switched this setting over and am monitoring it but not seeing much difference so far.

I feel the step count is accurate as in If i walk 20 steps, it counts that many. But if its to the washroom for example, it adds another 20 steps from washing my face. Yes i understand its about arm moment but its just too sensitive. I did 100 steps sitting still and watching a movie, I wake to at least 40 steps sleepwalking apparently?

Can it not be set up that 1 or 2 arm moments are just written off as non steps instead of counting them? 

Best Answer

Hi, Im having exactly the same problem. Only just purchased this today. I sat down to do some marking with the watch on my non dominant hand and I did 500 steps without moving from my seat! Very disappointed as I'd heard so many good things about it. Love the app, which is why I decided to go for the fitbit brand over a cheaper version. I think I'll be returning it ans buying a different type, unless a solution comes up soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CSV_123 you can possibly minimize it a little by having it on the "dominate" on the setting even though its on the non dominate hand.

Best Answer

Thank you, I'll give this a go. Hopefully it will make some difference. 🤞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll never buy another fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

To be honest this is the first Fitbit I've had and I've been put off by them. It went dead during the night last night despode being fully charged and won't switch back on. Going to return it and go for another brand I think. A real shame as I love the app that comes with it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes i had to choose this or the garmin. The overall feedback i received was garmin have better hardware but fitbit have a better app. I chose this due to a cheaper product, better app and something that was more of an "all rounder" to use.

Im happy with mine as its working well but time will tell with updates on if I stay in the future.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes exactly my reasoning between the two brands also. Do you think I may have received a faulty one then ? I really want it to work as I love how it looks, how it fits on my wrist..etc...I'm just wary about getting another one and the same thing happening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes its possible. some have complained about things im just not seeing, like the band coming of easily.

Mine is working fine, no problems other a few software glitches which are known (and hopefully fixed soon)

Where did you buy it? If its easy to return/exchange and you want to run with this device, go do it rather than troubling shoot for needless time. If the next one fails, then take it back again, let them know you have had 2 failed devices and want to exchange for something else.

Im in Australia so return and refunds are probably different in other country's.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope, switching GPS off did not help unfortunately. 

Best Answer

Get a Fitbit ionic it’s awesome I’ve had mine for well over a year and the app is great, I just got the Fitbit charge 3 for my partner and he is having this same issue. Over 21000 steps today and he works in a machine so defiant incorrect, if they can’t solve the issue we’ll get him the ionic aswell 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi thank you for the info. My screen went completely black during the night also so I've sent that one back. I've orfeord another one just to give it one last go but if it does the same thing I definitely consider what you've suggested. It's either the ionic or the versa. Hoping that it will work because I love the app and to be fair the customer service is great also. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep! Me too. I did 350 steps while riding in my car! LOL 
It's VERY annoying that my $5 pedometer is more accurate at counting steps than my $150.00 fitbit... I wish I had not wasted my money on it! 

Best Answer

I have them a second chance to see if I had been unfortunate and purchased a faulty one. It's not as sensitive however it does exactly the same as what you said - it counts steps whilst driving 🙈 a 20 minute car journey counted 270 steps. 🙈 Im going to return it for the second time and keep my money. Very disappointed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine too.  Woke up this morning with 700 steps and hadn’t done more than 30 - also adds steps when I’m driving, brushing my hair etc.  Disappointing as I’m really trying to get an idea of how active I actually am.

Best Answer

Reading these responses, and seeing that this was posted all the way back in October and there are several other similar topics is disappointing.

I was excited to get my first Fitbit Charge 3 right after Christmas. I noticed it was logging steps however when I wasn't walking- happened when I was driving, washing my hands, sitting at my desk at work, and I'm sure it's logging steps as I type this.

The proposed solutions posted by the mods here are a joke, restart it and walk a bunch of steps? Are you kidding me? Nobody is saying it's not counting steps when they walk, it's counting steps when you're not walking. This is the third generation of this device, how is this even an issue, and how has this not been fixed in 2 + months!?

I like the Fitbit community aspect and that my friends have Fitbits and I can compete against them, so I really don't want to move to a different ecosystem, and I don't want to get a different version of the Fitbit either, but it is looking like I may not have a choice.

Get your stuff together Fitbit and make this right.

Best Answer
My question to everyone is whether this issue is just for the Charge 3 or
do the older models have the same issue of adding steps when driving,
shaving, etc.? Just trying to decide what I should do before my return
window ends.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've read lots of forums now and it seems to be a charge 3 thing.  Bought one for ne and my wife. From the time she gets up and drives to work she clocks up about 300 steps. I do about 1500 for the same journey. Getting dressed adds about 100!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's a load of bee ess. Other brand trackers and even some of Fitbits older trackers never counted all these other various activities? as steps. This needs fixed. A few extra steps we can live with, but thousands? NO. FIX IT.

Best Answer

Getting dressed in the morning: 200 steps

Driving to work: 500 steps

Sitting at your desk typing an e-mail: 50 steps

Washing your hands: 100 steps

People at Fitbit not acknowledging this is an issue or seeming to even care: priceless

Best Answer