Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 screen is completely dark after changing brightness setting

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My screen has been very dim when I am outside or in a lit room lately, and I've been having a hard time reading the screen. Today I tried to change the brightness setting. I think it went to auto but then the screen went black. Nothing I do gets the screen to turn back on. I tried the long reset and got a very dim smiley face, but then back to black. It still syncs to my phone, has 90% charge on the battery, I still have green lights on the back and can feel it vibrate, so it seems to be working except the screen display is black. I tried changing the clock face to see if that would help but it did nothing. What would be my next troubleshooting step? Is there something I can reset from the phone app (android)?

I have had the device since February 2019. I also sent a message to the twitter Fitbit support. I don't usually use twitter so not sure if I will get the notification if I get a response. 

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Hi @kriskroh I have flagged a moderator to come and help you 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

When I was going to bed last night, in a completely dark room the screen came on. So dim I could barely see it, but enough that I was able to go into the settings and switch the brightness to normal. Now in a lit room it is still really dim, but I can see it. I don't know if there is any way to make it any brighter, but at least it is functional. Thanks.

Best Answer

Hi @NellyG , nice to see you back! Thank you for your help and reporting this thread. 

@kriskroh , a warm welcome to the Community! Thank you for trying to solve the situation by yourself. 

I went ahead and contacted Support in your behalf, so that they can have a look at your case. You'll receive an email from them very soon. 

Please keep me posted. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit charge3 was very dim.  I tried to change the brightness in the setting, but when I tried to adjust them, it went completely dark!  Now I can't see any display!  What can I do?  I know it's charged and still working as I can see my steps, etc. on my phone.  Please help!

Best Answer

Following.   Omg I’m having the exact same problem.  I can’t see the screen.  It syncs, has a charge but so dark/dim I can’t read anything.  It’s been over a week since this started. 

Best Answer

Having the same issue with my charge 3 and has been an issue for weeks. Sometimes I can see what is in the screen and other times it is completely black. I have to check the app to see how charged it is or to find any health information. It shows up in the app so I know it is working. Please help.

Best Answer

I am having a very similar problem. My screen lights up and shows everything, but only when it's connected to the charger. As soon as I remove the charger, the screen goes completely black and I can't see anything. My fitbit is completely charged and I continue to feel the vibration notifications. I can also see everything in the app so I know it's still tracking. It's just frustrating that I'm not able to see anything on the actual fitbit itself. Please help!

Best Answer

The brightness settings on mine had been on "auto". When I was in a completely dark room at night, I was able to see the screen well enough to get into the settings and change the brightness settings to "Normal" which helped. It's still pretty dim if I'm outside or in a well-lit room, but I can see it enough to read the screen and use it. If you can see the screen in a dark room, try changing the settings. 

Best Answer
Thank you! I was able to see enough of the display in a dark room and was able to change the brightness. It worked! Hopefully it will last! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Very frustrating that the Charge 3 screen is dim or dark - please change design so that you can change brightness setting on the app as opposed to the actual fitbit.  Still unable to brighten the screen - tried to change the brightness setting and also turned Fitbit off and on.  Is this a critical problem that means the internal mechanism is malfunctioning and I need to consider a replacement?

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. But I haven't seen anyone from fitbit able to help . Is there a solution other than replacing my fitbit. I have loved it but it's totally useless now, 

Best Answer
0 Votes
First try resetting. Hold side button for 15 sec or so. If that does not work contact Fitbit support to file a claim. I have 2 units. Mine I could reset. My daughters I had to file a claim and they sent her a new one.
I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I too have this problem after attempting to change the brightness setting. The screen is now black so cannot see to get to the setting section to adjust it! Can anyone help. Thanks

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. I've had my device since November 2019. I can't see enough to see what brightness level it is even on. I've changed the clock face and it doesn't change anything! So frustrating.

Best Answer

I am having the exact same issue - I went to try and update the brightness setting went to auto and then went black. I have tried to reset it and I can feel it vibrate but no screen display so I can’t use it

I have had this device since December 2019

fitbit support can you help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. @Shellbell76 Welcome to the community forums!

Thank you for the detailed information and for the troubleshooting steps you've tried. I was able to see that you have reached out to our Support Team and they have provided information and assistance. If you still need further assistance or if you have additional questions about the outcome of your case, I recommend replying back to them and they will be glad to continue assisting. 

Have a great day.

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I see there are two years of posts about the problem. Is there a solution? I am having this problem now.  The screen is SO dim and faint normally so I changed it to auto-brightness and it has gone completely black. I tried the rumored fix of changing the clock face and I have hard pressed the side button 20 times and its still black and totally useless. Thanks, Denise

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @DeniseP4. Welcome to the community forums. 

Thank you very much for your feedback and for the troubleshooting steps you've followed. Regarding your inquiry, I'd like to let you know that if none of the suggested tips in this thread and on this thread haven't helped, my best recommendation is that you please reach out to our Support Team for further assistance. 

Your understanding is very appreciated, but I’ve reached the limits of what I can do for you here on the public community forums.

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This was the resolution for me. So thank you @kriskroh . Tried resetting, changing the clock but it did not help. Then I decided to give your solution a try. I went to the dark bathroom and I was there indeed able to see a little bit. Swiped up- then swiped a few times to the left until I found my settings. Changed it to normal brightness and bingo my fitbit 3 charge is back to normal. Thank you. 

Best Answer