Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 stopped tracking workouts and GPS is not working properly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all.. so I’ve read and re-read forum after forum on this issue.. my charge 3 worked great and then all of a sudden stopped tracking my workouts appropriately. i.e. the GPS is waay off, won’t calculate calories burned, doesn’t log my heart rate, and for whatever reason it never logs the correct time! What the heck fitbit? Get your s**t together please. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
To get around the lack of info on exercise, screen shot my fitbit screen before starting the exercise portion then at the end of the exercise I get time and distance from the exercise portion then I screen shot the fitbit app for cal, distance, and steps. Only way I figured to get the info

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

Hello there @Medic3554, welcome to the Community Forums. I totally understand where your concern is coming from. Thanks for the details provided about the accuracy of your Charge 3 and for the details provided about your experience. 

As a first approach, since your Charge 3 isn't tracking any data, I'd recommend restarting your Charge 3 by following the steps in the article: How do I restart my Fitbit device?

Fitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. We estimate your stride lengths using your height and sex. Track one or more runs using on-board or connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If you prefer to measure your walking and running stride lengths, make sure to follow or to have followed the steps provided in the article: How do I measure and adjust my stride length?.

Note that when you're tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps and stride length as described above until a GPS signal is found.

After reviewing this factors, please go for another workout and see if the distance improves. 

Let me know how it goes, I'll be around. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had the same issues over the last few days and I did not change any settings 

Best Answer
I’ve had to restart it several times, because I’ll randomly stop getting my notifications as well. Ive tried just about every trick that’s been posted in forums, and the q&a. Still haven’t been able to get an even remotely accurate tracking of workouts.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
To get around the lack of info on exercise, screen shot my fitbit screen before starting the exercise portion then at the end of the exercise I get time and distance from the exercise portion then I screen shot the fitbit app for cal, distance, and steps. Only way I figured to get the info
Best Answer

A reset doesn’t work,  did it three times.  I believe this issue has only started since recent upgrade.  It was working before and I hardly ever reset my watch.  It is sporadic in recording heart rate against exercise eg I cycle to gym every morning, it recorded heart rate previous day and not today and not on return ride home.  Have checked set up and tightness of watch and it is all ok.  Check your  recent upgrades as something has stuffed the recording of exercise minutes (manual and automatic) and heart rate whole exercising.

Best Answer

Response from Fitbit Chat support today:

“Our team are working hard to fix it as soon as possible”.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using Charge 3 for about 6 months with tolerable syncing issues but lately I have experiencing this stopped tracing workouts issue. The support team has been instructing me to do the basic stuff like resetting my Charge 3 , reinstalling turning my GPS ON on both Charge 3 and phone, and the best advice of all is to have my phone with me when I am running. 

The support team seems to be oblivious to this issue reported here.

After reading ScotAlan's post, I am now more at ease that this is a known issue.

Best Answer

this has been an issue since 26th of Feb, would have thought they would have had it resolved by now.....its a known issue but it is very very slow to get any resolution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Before I posted on the community, I reset my charge 3 and also restarted my iPhone, nothing helped. I suggest that fitbit download previous version until the problem with current software is resolved.

Best Answer

Just got an update from the support team that a new Fitbit app version 3.16 has been released but it is not available in playstore yet. Will update once it is available and if it works. 

There is no clarity from the support team that this is a software bug. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I can see the data on the app and I can see the GPS map info but the Cal, Dist, and Steps info don't transfer it sure looks like a disconnect in the software. worked on computers for  more than 40 years. I built software for plotting line conditioning parameters for data circuits also for determining supply verses troubleshooting and repair times for electronics equipment for training soldiers in maintaining military satellite terminals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the update. About time.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have installed the new release 3.16 and will be testing it tomorrow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have restarted my fitbit, uninstalled restarted my phone, logged out everything recommended yet my tracking is so inaccurate. It will track for a little bit then sends itself back to start tracking only 10th. My fitbit still counts steps yet the app doesn't record the full distance, pace, route 

Very disappointed have followed so many forum's suggestions and no fix. My fitbit is not doing what I purchased for

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m frustrated for 2 reasons. 
1. My Fitbit will not sync my heartbeat (which it does record at this time) to my workout. This started March 1. At that time I could at least add a workout for my week. Now I’m not able to add a workout. 
2 this is a replacement Fitbit, received around Thanksgiving, 2019. My original Fitbit was purchased in April/May 2020. I’m having serious concerns about my investment in Fitbit technology. 
         This makes me sad because using Fitbit has been a significant part of my 4 years of weight loss (60 lbs so far) and physical health journey. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure what happened, but I would have liked to see my new routes. I can see the map & details after my run, but no longer see my details. Miles & pace completely inaccurate.

Best Answer

Hi - my charge 3 is not even a month old and started malfunctioning (not tracking walks/hikes, listing walks/hikes I didn't do, listing walks with 0.0 miles and 0 calories, etc. etc.) around the same time as reported by other (end of February). I have tried restarting/resetting the tracker and updated the app (now 3.16.1 (931)), but still have same problems as of this morning. Is there a solution / app update to this problem yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my charge 3 and am having the same problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is my observations after upgrading Fitbit app to version 3.16.

I am now able to connect and track my workout provided I reset my phone before each run. This is an inconvenience but at least it works for now. Will continue to use Charge 3 until the warranty is over or when it breaks. 

Has been a fervent supporter of Fitbit since 2013 but may have to start looking for other brands after this unpleasant experience with the customer support and the inherent issues with this Charge 3. 

Best Answer