Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 GPS won't connect

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Brand new Charge 4. Fully charged ~> 90% battery, updated, synced, clear day in a park. GPS won't connect. Reboot through settings and then a hard restart after an hour on the live chat customer support only for them to send the standard 'how does GPS work on my Fitbit device'. Seeing lots of others with this issue. Has anyone had a reliable GPS connection from their device? 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

It's great to see you here, @DMcMuffin40.

If you are having problems with the GPS feature, I recommend trying the following:

• Confirm that the exercise type uses built-in GPS. In the Exercise app, choose from walk, run, hike, bike, interval workout, and golf. On Charge 4, outdoor workout also uses GPS.
  • Check that GPS is turned on for the exercise. For more information, see How do I turn on GPS for an exercise on my Fitbit device?
  • Make sure that your device is charged to at least 80%.
  • Confirm that your device is syncing with the Fitbit app. The more you sync your device, the faster your device can connect to GPS.
  • Make sure that you have a clear view of the sky when you start the exercise. Environmental factors, including tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and even thick cloud cover, can interfere with your device’s ability to connect to GPS satellites. If the signal is blocked—either because you're indoors, underground, or due to another reason—GPS won't work. 
  • Avoid trying to start an exercise with GPS several times in a row, which can prevent your device from connecting to GPS.
  • If Charge 4 can’t connect to a GPS satellite after 10 minutes, the tracker stops trying to connect until the next time you start a GPS exercise.  

Let me know the outcome. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is why I'm also having doubts about fitbit. I'm capable of reading through the online help articles - I've followed those steps and they don't work. That's why we're reaching out for help. 

Running on the Charge 4 uses built in GPS. Yes GPS is turned on. As mentioned fitbit was fully charged when trying to use it to exercise. Yes it syncs to the app just fine. Yes I was in a park in good weather. 

I'm looking for new troubleshooting and help to solve the issue not to be redirected to the same two gps articles posted everywhere that haven't been solving people's issues.  

Best Answer

I couldn't agree more, Fitbit's support is useless. Yes, I can read your troubleshooting guides and they don't work, much like my Charge 4!

Best Answer

The GPS on my Charge 4 worked intermittently for the first few weeks and now doesn't work any more. Same troubleshooting as everyone else and battery is charged. I run the exact same route so it is not a matter of being able to connect.

This morning, it showed GPS connected while I was running. I finished the run and looked at the final stats. When I synced with my phone, the entire workout was missing! (the second part of my run was there)

I had the Charge 2 for three years and it worked perfectly. I thought I was "upgrading" to the Charge 4, but I am concerned this is a product that is not ready for prime-time.

Open to any ideas to get it working correctly.

Best Answer

Mine never connected, returned it, new one won't connect either. I've started just clicking on the start button and just start running. Once I'm done with 3.5 miles or so, the GPS had kick in and it shows my trip on the map. However, it now only kicks on at the exact point of 3 miles, and only shows the last. 5 on the map. And during the cool down walk after, I also just click start, GPS does start, but disconnects during the walk and only shows partial trip on map. Also, auto detect is useless. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

5 days/week for 5 weeks in same location... GPS on new charge 4 worked all but once.   Last three runs, unable to locate satellites.   Fingers crossed it's a glitch.  The GPS function is a must for me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can set the GPS for phone only and it will connect every time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would argue that if I wanted that feature I should have just bought the Charge 3. The purpose of the Charge 4 to me was to be free of my phone on runs. I feel very cheated by Fitbit who have used very cheap components or developed useless firmware or both.

Best Answer

Agreed, but you are getting other benefits with the Charge 4. Not that I really need those extra benefits, but they are there just the same. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My GPS takes 5 to 10 minutes before it connects.

Best Answer
0 Votes