Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 step count inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am now really fed up with the incorrect step tracking on the Charge 4. I have changed my 1st as I thought it was faulty but now the 2nd one is doing exactly the same! In the morning it jumps from day 21 steps to 300 steps without me putting my foot outside the house or walking around!

i have tried everything! Resetting, calibration, changing to dominant arm etc - but with no luck! Any tips out there -because it seems I will have to change to another fitness tracker & I do so like the other features in the Charge 4?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

It's great to see you here, @Pappilon.

I understand how are you feeling and appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this steps issue. For tips about improving accuracy, I recommend checking the help article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?.

Several things can affect the number of steps your Fitbit device records, including where you place the device, if you wear it on your dominant or non-dominant hand, and your stride length. If you're pushing a stroller or shopping cart, try putting your device in your pocket or use GPS to record your activity, if possible.

If it still seems like your device is undercounting or overcounting steps, try a step test. While you perform your step test, make sure you:

-Walk at a normal pace

-Don’t hold anything in your hands

-Put your arms down at your sides, swinging naturally

-Count 1 step for each foot

-To avoid getting an additional step when you bring your feet together, after you reach 100 steps:

1. Freeze in a split-stance. 
  2. Move your hand up gently to check the step count on your device.  

Here’s the step test:

1. Restart your Fitbit device. For instructions, check the help article: How do I restart my Fitbit device?.
  2. Put your device on your wrist.
  3. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet touches the ground.
  4. Pause, then check your device to see your step count, and write down the number of steps you took and the number of steps your device counted. 
  5. Perform the test 2 more times, walking 100 steps 3 different times. Each time, write down the number of steps you took and the number your device counted. 
  6. Add the number of steps over or under that your device counted for all 3 tests. If your device counted 30 more or 30 fewer than the 300 steps you took, please let us know.

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

The Charge 4 logged 2000 steps with me hardly moving from my desk.  Immediately 200+ in the morn walking 10 steps to the bathroom. It seems to like logging a lot of steps when I eat (non-dominant hand) or just moving while seated at the computer.  Outdoors walking-jogging seems to be fairly accurate by distance, slightly high on the #steps. Any ideas on if this is just "settling down" and learning?  This is Day #2 and I'm starting to take it off when I sit just so the numbers don't inflate.

Best Answer

Good to have you here, @VirtualKaren.

Thanks for the information provided. Have you tried the instructions I provided in my previous post? If you haven't, please take a look at them and give them a try.

Keep me posted. 

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Alejandra -  outdoor steps are fine. It's in-house activities that are strange. I'm almost at 400 this morn and haven't gone more than 100. It also show 1 stair floor. I have no stairs.
Best Answer

I'm having this exact problem. Your advice is frankly awful. Both users said its counting steps when they are NOT walking, so why would we do a walk test to see the walking accuracy?

My Charge 4 is +/- accurate when I'm actually walking, but it apparently thinks I"m walking while I'm sleeping, typing, eating, and leaning forward / backward. I pet my cat for 5 minutes and WOW I JUST WALKED AN ENTIRE MILE. What an incredible insight from this device.

Best Answer

I stopped wearing it inside the house.  Problem solved. 😕

Best Answer

Wel if you can’t wear it in the house You are missing out on the other benefits idea of having a device reading your daily activities ☹️

Best Answer

I have just purchased a Charge 4. on checking the steps, the Charge 4 reads 8,690, set at 70cm per step. My iPhone app is giving 2,001 which I would have thought more plausible. To get to the iPhone steps I would have to set my steps to around 2.8 meters.

Help

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am new to Fitbit and I left my change 4 on the bedside table. It said I did 20 steps before I even put my watch on and got out of bed 🙄 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem..... so inaccurate that's its not worth the trouble to try and correct it as simple arm movement counts as a step..  for the user who is not wanting to measure a defined exercise this device is totally useless as the base data (steps) is no good which renders all the fancy graphics and analysis worthless.....  extremely disappointed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also am fed up with fitbit, no matter what I have done it never tracks steps accurately.  This week alone I have been on the phone with them to no satisfaction.  I have done everything you have done. Maybe we should switch to Garmin!! Things won't be any better now that they have sold to goovle

Best Answer

You think a 10% error under test conditions is an acceptable error rate?

The instructions in your previous post have nothing to do with her problem which is steps counted while sitting around doing nothing.

Actually, problem is not solved. You still have the same problem. They've just gotten you to pretend you don't.

What earthly difference Does your stride length make to the number of steps it counts? 2000 steps is 2000 steps no matter what your stride length is. The distance you move will change, but not the number of steps.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

there is nothing to do to improve the accuracy as it counts the forward and backward moment of your arm using internal accelerometer and converts this into "steps"   ... so sit in your armchair and wave your arm about to increase the count... or place your hands in your pockets on a cold day when walking outside and reduce the count......  for the basic functionality is flawed 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is simply not the case. My Garmin device does not count the hundreds or thousands of non-existent steps that my Fitbid did. If I sit quietly in a chair for an hour reading or watching TV and drinking a cup of coffee, it shows the same number of steps when I'm done as it showed when I sat down. My Charge would have counted a couple of hundred steps for holding my phone while I typed this email while sitting in the cahai. My Garmin has counted exactly none.
Best Answer
0 Votes

so I guess you work for Garmin then,,, I thought this was a Fitbit community ... my comments relate to my Fitbit experience

Best Answer
0 Votes
No, I don't work for Garmin. Your post said the problem was impossible to fix and I pointed out that it was possible to fix it and that others had done so. Sorry I highlighted your untruth. Does Fitbit cut your bonus for that?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Got myself a new fitbit charge 4. Apparently I walked 400 steps in my sleep. Maybe it's counting the steps in my dream. I guess this is what you get for 150 dollars. It's ok, I only use it for running ans heart rate anyway but this device is flawed when it comes to steps count.

Best Answer

I was having this problem as well (I was apparently walking ~4000 steps a day while sitting at my office desk). I wear my Charge 4 on my non-dominant wrist, but I changed it in the app to say I wear it on my dominant side, and that (so far) has eliminated the phantom steps. I'm not sure what else the device uses dominant vs. non-dominant hand for when interpreting my activity/biometrics data, but if lying about this solves for more accurate step measurement, I think it's worth it for me. 

Best Answer

Same issue. I have had a Fitbit for years and never had a problem. I got the charge 4 last weekend ($150!!!), did a recommended update today, and now my steps are totally inflated. It isn’t a calibration issue. This is a device issue. I had an old charge 2 that I gave to a friend. Should’ve just kept it. I hope to see an update soon that fixes this issue. Or is there any way to reverse an update?

Best Answer