Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance and Pace Wrong - Different Values on Various Screens

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There are some serious issues with discrepancies between the stored value of distance and pace within the app. I don't know if you're storing the value and recalculating it on some but not all pages, but there are totally different numbers on various screens. On my run today, I used Activity Tracking with the GPS on my phone. I "Finished" immediately after the voice cue said "4 miles".

Exercise Log says 3.86 mi, 9' 21" pace.

ExerciseLog.png

Splits page it says 4.01 miles 9' 21" pace.

PastRuns.png

Distance page which shows 3.86 mi on the map and 4.01 mi at the top as the summary.

Distance.png

I'm beginning training for a marathon and given this kind of discrepancy on a short run, I can't put faith in using Fitbit for a longer run where the gap could be even more significant.  Also, I continue to struggle with the same premise that if Fitbit reports that Running is the #1 Exercise Activity worldwide, then why can't they get something this simple right? NOW is the time to get a quick fix and save your future customers Fitbit.  The number of devices sold has risen over the last 1-2 years, but if you can't get some of these basics fixed, you're going to lose in the next 1-2 years when everyone switches to a different brand.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I suspect that the variation is caused by using the GPS on the phone to track the distance, whereas the Charge counts steps and calculates the distance covered based on the stride length you entered on your profile. You could try adjusting your running stride length to the point where the distance recorded on your Charge is closer to that recorded using GPS.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I've misunderstood.

Hilary | UK

Charge, Aria, iPhone 4s, Mac

If this answer is helpful, please vote for it and/or mark it as a solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even if this is true, its crazy that FitBit would store two different calculated values for the same activity and show both of them.

I abandoned my Charge and switched to a Garmin Forerunner and love it! No more frustration over these kinds of issues, no need to carry a phone while running and way more data that is much more accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Where do you change the stride length?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am experiencing the same issues. I started the run using the App - with correct GPS positions. I set the voice cues to every 500m and after the voice cue AND the screen said 6km I stopped. On the Activity screen it the suddenly said I only ran 5.something km and had a totally different pace. Like the author of this thread, I then cycled around the various screens to find that the value that were presented to me during the run are shown on the "recent" tab.

I would add screenshots to prove this, but I am not allowed to upload photos

Best Answer
0 Votes