Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic GPS fail

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What is the point of it just shuts off the GPS completely? Since installing the update, my GPS has shut off more times than not, typically around 2.3-2.5 miles, even in GPS only mode. I understood that the point of dynamic was that it would be able to keep tracking from the phones GPS if it was unable to maintain a GPS signal. This update, in my opinion, has made the Charge 4 almost pointless.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @ARnative, welcome to the community.

The following Fitbit help article about GPS (here) says the following regarding dynamic GPS on the Charge 4.

Dynamic: Charge 4 sets the GPS type at the start of the workout. If you take your phone with you, Charge 4 uses your phone’s GPS sensors to map your route. If your phone is nearby but not moving when you start the exercise, Charge 4 uses built-in GPS.

With the following note -

Note: If the GPS signal is lost during the exercise, Charge 4 doesn't switch to a different GPS type.

Have you tried going into the settings app on your Charge 4 - GPS settings - and then setting GLONASS to on? This will then use GPS+GLONASS and hopefully improve the reliability. Previously I was having a lot of signal loss, but for me turning this on has greatly improved the reliability of the signal.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had GLONASS on each time. Interestingly, today I had it off and no problem.

The first time the GPS shut off it was in GPS only, since the point of having a GPS device is to use GPS, and I use a different app on my phone at the same time in case one stops.

Also, everytime I has used it in dynamic mode, my phone says "Connected GPS running" when I begin my walks, including today.

Honestly, if it can't switch between signals to keep tracking, then there is no point in the dynamic mode.

Best Answer

So, I have tried every combination of GPS settings and until a week and a half ago it seemed that turning off GLONASS fixed the issue. However, now the GPS drops every time after about 1/2 mile unless using the phones GPS, which has 2 problems. First, it defeats the purpose of having a device with built-in GPS, and second it lags behind the tracker on my phone. Additionally, although it is supposed to have been calculating my stride length when in GPS mode, when I am using it without GPS, over the course of a 6 mile walk it only tracks 5 miles.

Again, it is no longer worth the cost. I am better off using my Surge to track my walks even though it is hard to keep charged and won't sync to my phone.

Fitbit, your "upgrade" has broken this device.

Best Answer

I wanna BUMP this, I'm having this issue on Charge 5! It worked a treat out the box the first time I went for a run.. and yet every run since, the GPS tracking as been a mess.. Not that I know anything about the issue until I'm looking at my run on the app after the fact. 

Today I will try changing the GPS setting. See if thats the same. 

J.

Best Answer