Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falsely tracking stairs.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why is my Charger 3 recording stairs I don't climb? For example, I have 34 stairs this morning and haven't climbed or descended even one. I haven't been outside to walk up and down hills ... just working here on the floor of my one-story home. Thanks.

May you be happy,
JaveaJim
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

That big an error is usually from rapid weather change, affecting atmospheric pressure.

From Why does my Fitbit device count extra floors? 

"Fitbit devices detect floors with an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure. Your device is designed to detect pressure changes based on elevation gain, but other types of pressure changes—such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door—can occasionally cause your device to register extra floors. Your device registers 1 floor when you climb about 10 feet, which is the average between residential and commercial floor heights. If you climb long staircases you may find that the floor count on your device doesn’t match the number of floors you climbed when the staircase is taller than 10 feet."

But floors climbed are a stand-alone statistic, not affecting anything else, so for instance errors the do not translate to calories burned errors.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you, Mr. Row,
This is helpful and understandable information. I had no idea the device is so sensitive to atmospheric pressure. Also glad to learn the count has no influence on calorie count ... that was a concern as I'm in the Diabetic Prevention Program to lower my A1c. My target weight loss is in the program is 16 pounds but my goal is to lose 25 so calories in versus out matters. 

Info is much appreciated. Stay safe 
May you be happy,
JaveaJim
Best Answer

Although you do burn more calories climbing stairs, that activity also raises your heart rate, and calories burned are based largely on heart rate.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer