Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge "com.fitbit.HTTP error 500." Error when connecting for first time

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, heres the story. I got this Fitbit charge off a friend, and because it had steps, calories burned etc, when I synced this Fitbit the first time to my iPhone 6 it synced fine, but added steps and miles walked, etc. to my account and I had to delete my account to reset the stats.

Fast forward to midnight when the Fitbit resets the step counter, and all the other things it keeps track of. Now I'm trying to sync to the phone. I get through the process to the point of entering in the "number i see on your charge" which is the 4 digits. I enter this code and receive the following error:

Spoiler

Error

The operation couldn't be completed.

(com.fitbit.HTTP error 500.)

I'm assuming that this means that there is something wrong with the fitbit servers and not necessarily my Fitbit, or my phone.

Here's the steps I've taken so far to try and fix the issue

1. Connect via Wifi, and Cellular data to try and see if one or the other made the error go away.
  2. Restart the Fitbit by connecting via USB Charging Cable, and holding the button on the side for 10-12 seconds until the Fitbit logo and firmware version number appears
  3. Restart my phone using the "hard shut off" mode (hold down the power button and home button until apple logo appears) and also the "soft shut off" mode (using just the power button and swiping right)
  4. Made sure that my iOS version was up to date
  5. Made sure that my Fitbit App was up to date
  6. Turned off bluetooth, and turned it back on
    1. "Forgot" the charge device in my bluetooth "history" so i was getting a "fresh" connect

So far, since trying to trouble shoot this issue, like i stated before I believe this is an internal server error on Fitbit's side and not my own. Going to bed for now, with the fitbit on in hopes that it will still track my sleep even though it's not connected to the app. Maybe the issue will be resolved when I awake. Will provide an update tomorrow. See you in 8+ hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes
114 REPLIES 114

Ok, sorry about coarse language but its a bit frustrating to see that you're wrestling with this problem over year(s).  Its also abit frustrating to notice that you guys dont pass information due service desk (or with "higher" level) agents. Every time i chat with you guys (under same ticket) ppl are asking same questions.. "have you restarted your phone" etc.

Im earning my bread with working things like Active Directory, VSphere ESXi etc. virtual servers and platforms. So i think i have some knowledge about "these things" and believe me, most of us have just fine working devices and problem (i strongly think so) relies on your server side, not in our "unrestarted devices.

But ye i know, this basic things should be done at first point, but that doesnt solve these "http 500 error" -problems which happens totally at your end.

BR, Latlock

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Latlock and @Kamitsuyo, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have come back and kept us updated about this situation. @Latlock, I was checking with our Support Team and it seems you've been in contact with them recently and have replied to their latest email. At this moment your case is being handled by one of our agents and you should receive a response very soon. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you've experienced. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, please keep us updated. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I phone 8. Fully up to data with software 

Got the charge 3 today, second hand

app downloaded today and account made today brand new, new to Fitbit 

Getting the error 500 exactly as above

Tried on WiFi and 4g

Tried on husband’s Samsung S8

Tried on the lap top

Phoned your support and ran these steps 

Please help

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Claralou, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have joined the conversation and provided the information requested. Please note that the error 500 shows up when the Fitbit device was not removed from an account that was recently deleted. 

If it's possible, please log in to the recently deleted account, if you do it before 7 days have passed since the deletion you can halt the process and remove the device from that account. This will let you set it up on your own account without inconveniences. If you don't have access to the old account, you will need to wait 7 days for the account to be completely deleted before setting up the device in yours. 

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else we can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

in yours. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got it second hand - the previous owner had not removed it
Now resolved!!
Thank you

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Claralou, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply and let us know your issue has now been resolved and you were able to set up your device, I'm very glad. Smiley Very Happy

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having this problem also, had two accounts have deleted one and can’t get new account to recognise Fitbit charge 3 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine was second hand - the person I bought it off hadn't removed the charge
from her account. So maybe try removing it from everything and then try
again
Best Answer
0 Votes
I got it working. The problem is just that they have the 7 day period where it is useless between accounts. If they are going to do something silly like that, this whole forum could be eliminated if they mentioned it somewhere, maybe even in the error.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for that, tried it but won’t work

Joanie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with us. I would like to thank those of you who have come back and let us know your issue has been resolved, I'm very glad. 

If you're still seeing an error 500 when trying to set up your device to a new account and the tracker was paired to a recently deleted account, please try to log in to that account, remove the tracker and delete the account again. If you're not able to, you will need to wait 7 days since the old account was deleted for the information to be removed and the tracker will be able to be set up on your new account. 

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else we can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the post, Finally!! Got it to work after a very frustrating week wait.

Thank you

JMD

Joanie
Best Answer

Just bought an inspire HR as a birthday present for my daughter. Out of the box she got the 500 error, we tried with two different phones. This is a shambles. Here is your present - oh it's broken, ah well enjoy your cake. It's going back into the box, back to the shop and no one in my family will ever go near fitbit again. Http 500 is an internal server error, all fitbit's fault. And this has been happening for years. Why would anyone trust a company that can't address an issue like this for years - its amateur hour. 

Well done fitbit - you have lost not just one customer today but a whole family. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have also just pulled out new alta HR from box, download the app, create new account and it is not working! I am very angry because I can see that this error is going here for long time.

Could you please suggest me what to do?

Thanks.

EDIT: after 24 hours it started to work... but hey, it is suck anyway! 

updated iOS, iphone 6

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Crussida and @paulba71 thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. 

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. @Crussida thanks for editing your post and let us know your issue has now been resolved. 

@paulba71, at this moment I've contacted our Support team on your behalf to look into this issue further and provide you with some options. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for further instructions.

In case you need anything else, please feel free to reply as well. Happy stepping. 

Best Answer
0 Votes