Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit not recording exercise while using bluetooth headphones

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I've been using Charge2 for many months, tracking my exercise, often using wired headphones.  Today I went out with my new bluetooth headphones, and while the Charge2 did record my steps / distance, the specific 45 minute walk / run exercise did not record (it did record my earlier twenty minute warmup before turning the headphones on).  Any suggestions on how to address this?  I really like the wireless headphones, but tracking my exercise (with particular attention to heart rate) is important to me.  Thanks !   

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

@MichaelP1208, sorry to hear about this. May i ask which mode you used to record the walk/run?

Did you manually start the recording on the phone or the Blaze? Was there a good GPS connection? Even if there was not, there should still have been some record in the event log.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ah - actually did not start an exercise on the Charge; just started walking (then running). I've done it that way in the past, and when I'd come back the exercise was there. As I said it was strange in that it did count my steps / GPS distance - just not the specific 45 minute activity
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ah - actually did not start an exercise on the Charge; just started walking (then running). I've done it that way in the past, and when I'd come back the exercise was there. As I said it was strange in that it did count my steps / GPS distance - just not the specific 45 minute activity
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MichaelP1208 if you used the auto detect of your run/walk, there is no reason i can think of that the headphones would interfere. No comunication with the phone is required. This mode simply uses the Fitbit data and is calculated on the server after a sync. It is possible if the server is busy that a few minutes might pass before an event shows up.

Are you saying that while you where walking tour tracker dis not asd any steps to the days count? Or is it a case of no log of your walk shows ip after a sync.

As for distance and a map of your event, these will not be calculated durring an auto detected event.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, so it did record steps to the days count, as well as distance / calories and minutes. It just didn't log the info after syncing - the attached summary was from the earlier warmup; didn't get one for the actual exercise. May just be a coincidental glitch that it happened with my headphones ... doesn't seem to be a problem others have when using Bluetooth headphones ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

My only other thoughts would be.

Was the run/walk long enough in time to be detected?

Maybe switching your pace from a run to walk and back, might have confused the algorithms.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It was a good 45 minutes; and similar paces in the past were recorded. I'll monitor it in the future, with and without the headphones, and see if any pattern develops. Thanks for your suggestions, hopefully this was just a one time problem. Thanks again !
Best Answer
0 Votes
It was a good 45 minutes; and similar paces in the past were recorded. I'll monitor it in the future, with and without the headphones, and see if any pattern develops. Thanks for your suggestions, hopefully this was just a one time problem. Thanks again !
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MichaelP1208  Are you using iOS or android?  In the Bluetooth help articles for both operating systems, there is mention about possible issues with multiple bluetooth connection to your phone.  They don't specifically mention bluetooth headphones and exercise autorecognition.  But the fact that your warmup -- with headphones off -- was recorded suggests an issue. 

As I am reading the Help articles, it looks like there might be a difference in one of the features.  In iOS, the OS I use, there is the choice of All-Day Sync or manual only.  The android article makes it sound like their term is "Always Connected".  Set your tracker so that it isn't always connected and see if that helps.

I also did a little searching -- because the iPhone 7 has no headphone jack -- and I don't find questions/problems about Fitbits, iPhone 7s, and wireless headphones. 

There must be an answer out there for you.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has this been resolved? It’s happening to me too. So annoying. It records everything but the workout. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is ment by doesnt record?

Tge auto detect of an exercise does not need or talk to the phone.

Starting an exercise from the wrist, doesnt need or talk to the phone.

Both of the above should record an exercise with or without a phone?

However a phone is needed for GPS and a map.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Everyday (almost) and some days twice a day I take a 15-30 minute fast walk or jog. It records the distance, steps AND workout (set to auto detect) perfectly EXCEPT for days when I’m using my bluetooth headset with my iPhone. Hope that clarifies it.
Best Answer
0 Votes