Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbits consistently breaking.. what to do?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello

My Fiancée and I both use and love our Fitbits.  I got my Charge in April '15 she got her Charge HR in May '15.  Despite living the product, their durability is substandard.  With my Charge, it had to be replaced twice in the first year, and again slightly after.  The first two times Fitbit sent me two replacements for free.  The third time they gave me a 20% off coupon and made me purchase a new one ( I upgraded to an HR )

My Fiancée also needed hers replaced in the first year of having it (which they did so for free) but of course it's gone bad, and now she has to buy a new one.  We know several other people who have also had fitbits, had them replaced in the first year, and then given up and moved on to another devise.  We are unsure if we should purchase her a new one or if we would simply be buying a unit that we know will go bad several times until we are forced to pay again.  It seems like a waste of money at this point. Has

anyone had better luck with their durability or is this typical, and is fitbits lack of concern over their units having frequent repeated defects typical?

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

I have had the same experience.  This is a serious design flaw that should be addressed by Fitbit.  They aren't selling the HR anymore now that the have the Charge 2.  Why wouldn't they just replace the broken ones with the HR stock they aren't selling anymore.  I feel $150 isn't a good investment for only 1 1/2 years of service.  Very disappointed in Fitbit!

Best Answer

`Ugh, I am in the same boat.  First Fitbit broke after just over a year when I removed it from the charging cord and half the insides came out. Fitbit kindly replaced it. New Fitbit broke this week (about 6 months after I got it.)  cracked in half right at the screen as I put it on. Reached out to customer service and they offered me a discount but said they couldn't replace it because it was a replacement. As if needing a replacement was my fault, not an issue with build or design or size of the mechanism (I had a size small strap, but the mechanism inside the strap isn't any smaller. It's the same size as my wrist, so always banging against stuff.) Just realized I'm getting a little ranty, so I'll end here.

Best Answer

Hey @ScottRes@caryleej and @Fig8V2, awesome seeing you in the Forums! Cat Happy

Sorry to read the inconveniences you had with your Charge HR and I appreciate the effort you're doing to let us know your comments.I know that you maybe questioning about the quality in your Fitbit but, we test our products before releasing them to the market and we expect the highest quality in our products and services. I assure you that all the feedback received is valued and it make us be better and grow as one of the best fitness companies. 

As a friendly reminder, you can always check the Returns and Warranty policies to have a better understanding of our processes.

Catch you later. Cat Embarassed

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer

Hello,
I absolutely love your product! I love how it works and all the features it has. I do however have one problem with it. I got my first HR charge last year May 28, I have since gone through three of them and I have a feeling I will be needing to get a fourth. Yesterday the pink plastic part (on the purple coloured style) has started to break off.
The two before this one had similar problem where the cause of it breaking was wear and tear. I never wear it in the water, but I am a dog walker and I walk an average of 15-17 km a day. I count on my Fitbit and really love it. I just wish it was sturdier.
My fiancé does hot yoga and his watch also stopped working after about 8 months. We were unable to find his receipt and also couldn't figure out a serial number to do anything about it. We just bought him a new one (HR charge 2) at Christmas.
We also have purchased the aria scale (and love it!) , and this Christmas I was given the Alta Fitbit (love it) which is great for nights out for dinner or dressing up.
What I am getting at is that we are thoroughly loving the Fitbit products and the output given but have a tough time with them not wearing out and breaking. What can you suggest for us? Am I to use my extended warranty and get, yet another charge HR. Or do you have a suggestion for me?

Best Answer

Mine just cracked today again. That's the 3rd FitBit Charge HR that has broken/cracked from benign everyday use, a pretty poor quality plastic body imo. I had mine for about 6 months each time like you. It cracks just below the screen and the band sort of comes loose from the screen. I continued to try to use it but eventually had them replaced by FitBit due to the half bar of death issue which plagued them. I'm guessing this time they won't replace mine again this time, and will give me the same lame excuse they gave you. They say they test the product, but I don't think they've tested for >6 months of continuous use. I'm wondering if the Charge HR 2 has the same issue with the plastic bodies?

Best Answer

Do not waste your money. I have had two fitbits charge hr and with normal wear and tear they have both broken within four months of each other. My last fit bit broke after four months- the band would not stay connected to the clasp It literally fell off when I was walking out of slow stroll.they sent me a new wristband would not send me the part that was actually broken they don’t listen to what’s actually wrong. I will be getting an Apple Watch and telling everyone I know not to buy fit bit due to their poor customer service and their cheap craftsmanship.

Best Answer

I’ve had two break before a year was up. The first one was replaced because of the warranty but they don’t honor that warranty if your second one breaks. My husbands did the same thing. Could this be another Apple situation where they are made to break just at a year to keep people buying the newest model? I’m so mad. 

Best Answer

While I enjoy the ease of use and look of the Fitbit tracker, I recently had the same problem. My Fitbit HR was replaced twice along with the charging cable because of charging issues. Only after each replacement, the same issue popped up. Upon chatting online I was told it was out of warranty, even when it was replaced within the year with the second tracker. (apparently they don't take the second tracker into consideration) I too, was offered a 25% discount toward the purchase of a new tracker, but declined. If the issue is with the Fitbit HR tracker or charger, Fitbit should step up to the plate.

So sorry to leave your community Fitbit.

Best Answer

There was definitely a flaw with this band.  Two of them broke within 1.5 years.  Your customer service only offers a 15% discount on new one.  My problem is I don't trust you anymore.  My wife loves the challenges on your app.  I am trying to find comparisons of all fitness heart rate trackers to compare quality.  If we are going to invest again I need to know my product will last.  Do you have ratings on the durability of your products?

Best Answer

It looks like the issues with the Charge HR is common. I have had 4 replacements since 2014. After my last replacement I was told that there was nothing Fitbit could do because of my expired warranty. So here I am again. My final replacement is damaged. The HR light stays on bright and drains the batterie within the hour. I can’t see spending another $200 plus dollars with this experience. 

Best Answer

I’ve had a Flex and an Alta HR both go bad. Both replaced (waiting for the HR) but idk what the problem is. I’m going to Google for a comparison of devices. My next one won’t be a Fitbit.

Best Answer

My problem has been with the software (I guess)- not tracking, not resetting. The units have held up structurally .)

Best Answer

I am so unhappy with Fitbit. I have had 5 break since I first purchased. The last three were Charge HRs. They do NOT hold up and all I do is walk. I don't even sweat when I walk. It is a crime to have to pay so much for these poorly made trackers. The company no longer supports me with replacements, yet I have no control over the trackers breaking. I follow instructions for care. With the last two I resorted to super glue to sustain their life. Finally, that no longer worked and the units broke even further. I refused to replace the last one with a meager 20% discount. Any suggestions on what is a better replacement? I want a tracker, but I cannot go down this disappointing road again with Fitbit. 

Best Answer

A few years after this original post, and I see nothing has changed.  I'm on my fourth replacement Charge 3.  I appreciate that Fitbit keeps sending them at no charge, but it is crazy that it even had to get to that point.  I've given up though before this one dies - I'm now wearing a Samsung.  I don't like the interface as well, but it will hopefully work for more than 10 months.  

Best Answer
I just tossed broken Fitbit #4. I’ll use Apple Health from now on.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

This company needs to go out of business. I've never had any of their products that have lasted over a year.

It's obvious that they ensure their products are shotty to enforce repurchasing, it's like i have a subscription service that they are keeping secret from me!

No more! 

Best Answer

I am now on device 4 in 8 months. I upgraded (and paid the upcharge) after 3 Altas to a Charge 3. Charge 3 came in the mail, I was unable to setup. Fitbit asked that I send it back and will get a replacement b/c they are "having trouble with ios." This means I have to wait another 2 weeks to get my brand new device (hopefully) up and running. I'm so frustrated and disappointed. 

Best Answer
Ask for a refund and let them keep their junk. This company needs to close up shop and stop ripping people off with their built to break crap.
Regardless, Good luck!
Liam
Best Answer

I'm on my fourth broken fitbit and ready to switch to an apple watch at this point - this one is just over a year since my last replacement, which was free since it was within a year of the prior fitbit but it isn't worth purchasing another one at this point. Very disappointing as I'm a huge fan of the product and app and recently purchased one as a gift for my father. 

Best Answer