Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a Tax Holiday in Massachussets, shouldn't Fitbit eliminate it?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I ordered Charge 4 today, and I was charged for tax, although it is a tax holiday in Massachusetts.
"The sales tax holiday for 2021 will occur on August 14 and 15. Retail items of up to $2,500, purchased in Massachusetts for personal use on these two days, will be exempt from sales tax."
I contacted Support, but they are asking for a VAT exception certificate?!? 
Other retailers honor this tax holiday and automatically eliminate the tax for people who reside in Massachusetts. Can Fitbit do the same for this weekend?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject
Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Hello @Tünde and welcome to the Help forum.  The Community is a moderated user to user help site.  We can give you advice, but can't solve the problem.

I found this Mass. Tax Holiday FAQ page.  Fitbit certainly should know about this tax holiday.  It's not like it is brand new.  It looks like it is the vendor's responsibility.  A VAT is a value added tax, something completely different, and not used in the US.

The only advice I have is to contact Support again.  Perhaps if you explain it a different way to a different support tech, you will get the correct help and your refund.  I have never had to ask to bump up my concerns to a supervisor.  But I'm sure every technician has a supervisor.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you!

Best Answer

Hi @Tünde Welcome on board. @LZeeW Thanks for stopping by to help our new member.

@Tünde Thanks for the detailed information about the tax holiday in Massachusetts, as well as your efforts while contacting our Support team. I'm sorry for this inconvenience and please know your feedback won't go unnoticed. While I don't have access to your order or case, I've forwarded your post so our team can take a deeper look at your details and provide you with assistance. While their reply might be delayed due to the current events affecting our operations, rest assured that your case is in good hands and they'll get in touch with you soon.

Have a good day.

Best Answer

Thank you @LizzyFitbit! I appreciate it.

Best Answer

@Tünde I hope you're doing well.

You're very welcome. Your case is in good hands and I'm sure that they'll be happy to continue assisting you the same way I will be if you need anything else. By the way, let me invite you to visit our Health & Wellness board where you can meet more people, share your story and find great tips to live a healthy lifestyle.

Have a good one. 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

I saw the news about the tax holidays on another site. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Fitbit is a private company. Perhaps their office and management are not located in Massachusetts, so they are not required to follow the tax holiday rules in your state, you know. Therefore, first of all, you should have contacted support before buying Charge 4. Or maybe you should contact support now. I'd suggest you read articles about taxes and finance on sites like https://www.greedyrates.ca/. You'll learn many new things.

Best Answer

@LisisRoberts 

They are required to follow all laws regarding tax collection, if they collect tax, they must remit that tax to the state taxing authority, in this case it's Mass DOR

Being a private company has nothing to do with collecting taxes and following applicable tax laws, Mass had a tax holiday and Fitbit must follow the law.

And the site you linked to is Canadian based, not the US, so any advice they give may not apply to US laws.

Gary D.| Feeding Hills, MA MBG PE

Charge HR, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire 2, Charge 4, Charge 5, Pixel Watch 2

Best Answer

Hi there, @gdio53 and welcome on board, @LisisRoberts.

Thanks for sharing your feedback, as well as your efforts while working on this matter. Before anything else, let me explain that any Fitbit order will be handled based on the conditions described in our Terms of Sale. I understand your concern and if you haven't done so, I'd recommend reviewing this help article which describes more details about our Fitbit purchases. You can always get in touch with our Support team so they can provide you with more information about your order. Please click here to get connected with them via chat or phone.

Best Answer
Thank you! I’m all set.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Hi there, @Tünde.

You're welcome, I'm glad you've received helped from our Support team. In case you have some spare time, I’d like to invite you to visit our Health & Wellness board where you can make new friends, find great tips to achieve your healthy goals and create new topics.

By the way, if you'd no longer like to follow a board, thread, or post, you can delete your subscriptions by following these steps: 

1. Navigate to your Community Settings, and click Subscriptions & Notifications
  2. Click My Subscriptions to view a list of posts, threads, and boards that you are subscribed to. 
  3. To delete a subscription, check-mark the box next to each respective subscription. Then, click Email Subscription Options to the top right, then Delete Selected Subscriptions.
Best Answer
0 Votes