Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not showing Sleep Stages - possible reason why

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

Edit: I posted this before I updated to the new version of the app (Android) that was released on the same day. Last night, I got a nice sleeping stages view and following with an automatic separation of the 'Nap time' with patterns that happened right after...

I'm hoping this will be delivered to the Fitbit tech team, as I'm (and many other) experiencing issues of sleep tracking does not show the sleep stages only the pattern. Usually, it works fine for a bit, and than suddenly, no more sleep states. 

if you search about this issue, you will find a lot of suggestions to fix this problem from reset your device, the location of the Fitbit on the wrist (constant heart rate) to remove the sleep data and add it again. None of them are the cause of the issue, as for most of us, it worked perfectly until it didn't. 

I think that I found a hint for that the issue might be, and hoping that the Fitbit team will get it and will investigate further. I think the issue is with the backend when processing the data, and I have a proof for it! 

In the past two months of owning the Charge 3, after i suddenly stop seeing the sleep stages, I have noticed that at times when I awake in the middle of the night, I see the stages, and in the morning, they are gone, converted to patterns. I had two theories: 1. Is that as soon as the device sense a nap that follows the night time sleep, it flag the entire sleep duration as a nap and therefore, does not shows the sleep stages, and, 2. I have notices that the heart rate actually sync few min AFTER the sleep is, which, if following the rules, sleep stages needs heart rate measurement, and if the app does not get it, it will not show the stages. 

However, today, I had the perfect opportunity to proof that something is wrong with the backend process, and I would like to share my finding with you all. 

Please see the attach screen shot below and note the time stamp:
at 7:12am I got a nice sleep stages view (left), and at 9:02 it changed to sleep patterns (right). 
immediately, I have noticed something else - the sleep tracking indicates that I was a sleep until 8:11am, while in reality, I was already 11 minutes in my first work meeting of the day. 

Sleep_Stages_001_Fitbit.png

now, things are getting interesting... I was thinking: what if I'll delete the data and add it again only until 6:49am, Do I get back the sleep stages?... and I did! , from there, I wanted to find the exact point where the sleep states transformed into sleep patterns, and I found the exact moment: 7:01am to 7:02am. 
See the screenshots below. 

Here, at 7:02am (left), it shows the sleep patterns, and indicates that I slept for 7 hours and 37 min, now, I have deleted the data and added it again, this time ONE MINUTE less, to 7:01am (right), and behold! I have the sleep stages again! and weirdly enough, my sleep duration has changed to 7 hours and 2 min. There is a 35 min difference in the sleep duration between one minute of sleep data (which may be because with the sleep stages I'm getting more accurate count of minutes being awake, and I'm too lazy to actually do the calculation, so, please excuse me for not going all that scientific 🙂

I'm sure the Fitbit QA team will find this interesting and will proof that something in the back end calculation is wrong... and just to point out: this is not a odd one. I have managed to repeat this in other past occasions. 

Sleep_Stages_002_Fitbit.png

Hoping this would help to solve the issue.

Best Answer
77 REPLIES 77

To be fair if the device worked as it should there would be no need to look for assistance at all, and in fairness the wear it higher up your wrist, not too loose etc does not work at all. So after paying a substantial sum of money for a device that does not do what it is supposed to do shouldent require your input or sharp comments, it really needs to be addressed by Fitbit whom basically repute any of the many faults with their products. Truth Fitbits are fraught with faults and a total waste of money.

Best Answer

I guess I'm returning as I see no solution to the sleep reporting issue. no wonder these devices are on deep discount. They don't work. 

Out of 4 nights using a Charge 3, I got a sleep score, with REM/Deep sleep tracking once. I bought for tracking my sleep. Glad I can return.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine is over the year so no return. Will never buy a fitbit again.
Best Answer

Thanks so much! This worked for me too

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can no longer get any information at all about  my sleep on my Fitbit Versa. 
when I click on the sleep function, the whole app freezes. 
Anyone else having this issue? Please help. 
Mazzid

Best Answer

I’m not having this problem yet. I think Fitbit made changes at the beginning of the year as of 1/1/20 my sleep is now showing sleep stages and sleep scores but not restlessness unless I pay for it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pay for it? You’ve got to be kidding!!
iI can get all the other stats, just can’t open the sleep section at all without the whole app freezing . 
Can tech support please get back to me. This is really frustrating!!

Best Answer

OK this worked for me twice now this year, once in february and once a few days ago. I uninstalled the app on my phone and reinstalled it and the sleep stages started working again -- that's it (hopefully you have your id and password available).

Like all of the other magic suggestions on this subject, this may or may not work for you -- I hope it does.

I have a charge3

Best Answer
0 Votes

Completely agree. Thinking of returning my device and saving for the Apple instead

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK this worked for me twice now this year, once in february and once a few days ago. I uninstalled the app on my phone and reinstalled it and the sleep stages started working again -- that's it (hopefully you have your id & password available).

Like all of the other magic suggestions on this subject, this may or may not work for you -- I hope it does.

I have a charge3

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s very kind I shall work out my password and so on and then will give
it a go, it seems to be quite a common issue looking at the community
pages; thanks for your help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Although my Fitbit died a few months ago, after I was having problems with sleep stages now recording, I used a Q-tip with alcohol and cleaned any debris buildup around the sensors. This solved my sleep stage recording issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello has your fibit corrected itself, I have having issues for two years!

Hello Glenn, Has your fibit resolved itself yet? I have been having the same issue for two years. Any tricks you know about? I have tried ALL the tips from Fitbit and they have replaced it 4 x's it is acting up  again. I am almost ready to give up on the product!!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
It has been working since I reinstalled the app on my phone about 9 days ago. This has worked twice once also in Feb. The other thing that sounds like it may work is to clean off the contacts every now and then. None of the other stuff like moving the band up and down my wrist or changing hands etc has ever worked for me.Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried all of what you recommended with out any luck. So frustrating! wonder why this continues to be an issue. I am digging into community chats and it is all over. No resolves yet..Please let me know if you have any more ideas this will be greatly appreciated!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i just found this thread, I posted my own new post about this this morning.

I have tried all the stock answers and have reset the unit, deleted and reinstalled the app.

I went back through my sleep data and realized that it worked on my old charge 3, before it got a dead black screen. My warranty replacement has never given sleep details, only simplified. I gave up on it until recently when I've tried again to make it work. I'm on the Premium trial which I thought might be the problem. I've had fit bit since the beginning, but  not for my next one if I don't get this fixed... 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply, so while on the premium are you getting sleep details now

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still only simplified sleep. I really think they sent me a dud when I got warranty replacement. They could look at my account and see I used to get the details but not since I got the replacement. I wish I'd said something sooner

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you try cleaning off the contact surface?Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S9.

Yes so far so good

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have you tried cleaning off the contacts with alcohol?This is something that works sometimes.  Give it a trySent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S9.
Best Answer
0 Votes