Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications only working when Fitbit App is active

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

For some reason my Charge 2 displays notifications only when the Fitbit App is On/Active and when I close it, or it closes automatically due to power savings mode on my phone, Charge 2 doesn't receive any notifications. 

I tried to follow Fitbit guide recommendations to resolve this with no luck. I turned off power saving mode for the Fitbit App and it didn't help either. What is strange is that when I turn on the App and go into Notifications Settings I have to enable Notifications Access again. 

My phone is Xiaomi Mi5S Plus. 

Any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It might, i find on the Blaze all i need is tge notifacations services running, while on the Charge 2 the app needs to be in memory. Going to my list of active programs, the fitbit app isnt active, but it is preloaded in memory.

My Charge 2 and the app act the same as what you descibe.

I also need the app in memory for connected gps to work.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

Off hand @Kubanczyk i dont onow why,  but am wondering which version of Android the phone is running.

Something to check, swipe down on the phones notifications bar, when fitbit is attive and in the front, active when in the background,  and also when the Fitbit app is not running. In each case you should see a entry that says Fitbit Notifications are running.

Do you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Rich, 

Android version running on my phone is 6.0.1. 

When I go into the phone notifications bar I can see "Fitbit Notifications, Notifications are running" when the App is active and when the App is turned off. I had to enable Notification Widget to see this a while ago but the issue is still there I'm afraid. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

There is something weird happening here. I didn't have problems with notifications on my band for the last couple of days but today the issue returned. As soon as I close the Fitbit App notifications stops working even though the widget is on and is seen in the notification bar. When I open the Fitbit App and go into notifications options I have to setup (enable) notifications again and this happens every time the App gets closed either by me or by the android system. 

Have anyone seen similar behavior in the past?

Best Answer
0 Votes

sorry @Kubanczyk your asking about a problem with your app, withoit tell8ng us which phone the app is on.

Is it the Fitbit notifacation services that have to be turned on, or is it the apps that have to be reselcted ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich,

The phone I'm using is Xiaomi Mi5S Plus. 

The issue exists only when the app is closed (after it is closed in the phone menu). In order to fix the issue I have to re-open the app and go into notifications settings and turn them on again. After these steps are done the notifications are fine again but I cannot close the app in the phone menu if I want notifications to work continuously. 

Does the above answer your questions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found another tread that explains issue with my tracker/phone well, please see below:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Continually-asking-me-to-turn-on-device-notifications/td...

When I'm typing this e-mail I'm implementing suggestions from the MarreFitbit user.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't remember anybody mentioming this problem,  I also dont have much of an idea short of clearning the apps cache through the phones settings - applications manager - Fitbit.

Or log out and back in.

Or delete the app and install a fresh copy.

I was wondering which of the two places that you might be turning the notifications back on. Does all three types turn off?PhotoGrid_1493218792637.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried clearing the app cache and seen no improvement. 

I tried to log out and log in afterwards and seen no improvement. 

I need to delete the app and install a fresh copy, I will do it shortly. 

When I click the widget, or I open the app and go into notifications, to turn the notifications back on I don't see the screen you copied in but the following one:

Image result for turn on device notifications fitbit

Once the notifications are turned back on I see the same screen as you do with calls enabled, text messages set to whatsapp and callendar set to calendar. 

Widget is enabled and encryption isn't. 

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Go to your phones settings / applications manager / Fitbit then click permissions. Make sure they are all approved.

Als when swiping down from the top of the screen you should see an entry "Fitbit notifacations are running"

Best Answer
0 Votes

I reinstalled the App. I still see no improvement!

I have granted all permissions the app asked me for.

When I swipe down the top of the screen I see "Fitbit Notifications" on top and "Notifications are running" in the bottom the Fitbit bar and even though the notifications are not working when the App is closed. By closed I mean remove the app from "recent apps" menu in Android which opens after pressing the "recent app" on my phone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That actually is not closeing, but simply might be removing the preloaded app to make a startup of fitbit faster.  Doing this continually can slow down the phone and decrease tye battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK. but can that have anything to do with what I'm seeing? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It might, i find on the Blaze all i need is tge notifacations services running, while on the Charge 2 the app needs to be in memory. Going to my list of active programs, the fitbit app isnt active, but it is preloaded in memory.

My Charge 2 and the app act the same as what you descibe.

I also need the app in memory for connected gps to work.

Best Answer

Thanks Rich. It is handy to know that your setup acts just like mine although I'm not sure if that was the intention of Fitbit engineers and what makes me curious is why this wasn't the problem until yesterday. 

Anyhow, thanks for your help again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Kubanczyk,

I have the same problem with my BlackBerry KEYone and Android 7.1.1: Fitbit app must be open to receive notifications, otherwise I must grant again notifications rights.

Do you have more information about it?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Theniaky

I have the same problem too, I'm using a Blackberry Keyone on Android 7.1.1.

I've been using my blaze and blackberry for months with no problems until the last week or so.

I have the same problem as mentioned, the fitbit app must be open in the background for notifications to work. Before I could close the app and notifications would still work. I'd appreciate any help too.

Thanks

Best Answer

The only solution I found is:

- Enable notification access.

- Sync Fitbit device.

- Exit app with back button only.

- Then only, you can kill app with Android task manager, not before.

In this cas I can receive notifications even when Fitbit app is closed. Sure it is a bug, but as BlackBerry KEYone is not in supported smartphones list, we can't wait a response from support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply Theniaky. I've done that too and it works.

I've also closed the app by accident and the notifications still worked, so it's not all the time for me. Must be some sort of bug. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have the notifacation wedget enabled,.

Best Answer
0 Votes