Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over counting steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, so like others, my charge 2 is over counting, I've a small property and it's not 45 steps from bedroom to bathroom and I don't walk in my sleep, this morning I've woken to 168 steps! Mmmm something isn't right.
I bought the charge 2 yesterday, noticed before bed the steps were inaccurate, put it down to it 'getting used to my movements'. I've set it up as people have advised, less dominant hand, stride length etc.
Please can someone tell me if I've missed something, should I return it, was it a waste of money?
I know people that wear Fitbit and other brands and seem very happy, sadly I'm not and really like the concept of challenging myself, as I'm not confident to join a gym, but sure need to get fit.
Any advice much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Lee (soon to be fitlee I hope x)

Moderator Edit: Edited thread title.

Best Answer
209 REPLIES 209

@Funnyfeller the account or setting will be found in the top right. 

@Bigmark go to the top of the page, tap on the options and then unsubscribe. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Didn’t think it had - they are in denial mode!! Favour positive posts it seems

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope. I just find that fitbit doesn't do anything for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use two other apps that count amazingly  accurate when I have my phone on me, in my hand or pocket, they are Pacer and my fitness pal apps. Since I don’t carry my phone at all times, made sure to Carry it with me EVERYWHERE I took a step for around a week and took note of the average difference so now at the end of the day I just subtract around 3.5k steps from my Fitbit count and I believe the number to be pretty reasonable and accurate. This may seem like a lot and I know we all want more accuracy for what we paid for but the other apps are free and once you get the fit it’s over count rate it’s real easy to get yourself in the proper ballpark step count range. Hope this helps someone. 

Best Answer

I use Pacer (amazingly accurate) on my phone. Have had a Fitbit inspire (rubbish) and now have a Charge 2 (from my wife who upgraded to an Apple Watch). The inspire was 20% out which is poor. The Charge is laughable. Started today with Pacer and Charge on zero, I haven’t been very active today and pacer shows 2k odd, about right, Charge showing, stunningly, 6.5k, three times too many. Fitbit ignore people’s complaints and produce products that are simply not fit for purpose. I’m not sure how they keep going. Wouldn’t buy another Fitbit for a tenner let alone £100. Step counter is just no good. Only works properly in a long walk. Day to day? Terrible! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So what you are telling us @Housby you are comparing one tracker with unknown accuracy to another tracker with unknown accuracy, and saying that one of the two trackers is inaccurate. 

Why don't you take a walk, use your mind to count the steps, then compare with the trackers. 

No arm mounted tracker will be directly counting what your feet are doing and it is easy to find complaints about step accuracy issues with every arm based tracker on the market. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
no I am not comparing one tracker with another.. Its easy for me to count
my steps, an example of how inaccurate it is is, when i get up go to the
bathroom, brush my teeth get dressed and come down stairs and the count is
750 steps??? i'm lucky if i actually do 30.

--
>From Ian
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is tooth brush in the hand with the tracker? Your tracker is only able to look at arm motions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is EXACTLY what I have done many times with Pacer. I KNOW Pacer is accurate to an incredible degree, I can walk a set distance counting steps and the accuracy is spot on (I once counted 1000 steps and Pacer came up with 996, that’ll do for me). Fit Bit’s count steps that aren’t actually happening, for instance when sat on a shelf doing nothing. My experience with TWO different Fitbits is the same, total inaccuracy when either physically counting steps or comparing it to one that I know is extremely accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
nope, fitbit on left wrist. electric toothbrush in right hand.
thank you for your interest

--
>From Ian
Best Answer