Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording a walk/run

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I only realized the other day, that you can use the app to record the start of an activity such as a run/walk. This method has the option to get voice cues for milestones, such as every KM your total time and pace etc, which I like. 

If I start an activity using my fitbit, I don't seem to have the same options with regards to voice cues.

If I log the same activity using both methods I get duplicate activities logged and need to delete one, incidentally I noticed the calorie burn count differs slightly too, at a guess I'd say the fitbit device also measures change in elevation so adds more calories. The app dosn't do this.

Is there an option to get voice cues when starting an activity using the fitbit rather than the app?

https://www.fitbit.com/user/5KRRJY
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No, you can only get voice cues from tracking with the app.

From a product/software development perspective, look at it this way.  Tracking from the app has been available for a while and is the only way to get a map if you use a tracker like a Zip, One, Flex, etc.  The newer trackers that have the multi-sport feature use different software -- those two software packages are different from each other and can't "talk" to each other.  So it is one or the other, but not both.

Accurate observation about the calorie counts with the two tracking methods.  The calorie counts are heart rate based, so you get added calorie count for that uphill climb.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

From a product/software development perspective, look at it this way.  Tracking from the app has been available for a while and is the only way to get a map if you use a tracker like a Zip, One, Flex, etc.  The newer trackers that have the multi-sport feature use different software -- those two software packages are different from each other and can't "talk" to each other.  So it is one or the other, but not both.

Accurate observation about the calorie counts with the two tracking methods.  The calorie counts are heart rate based, so you get added calorie count for that uphill climb.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just curious what you mean by "the app" that gives you voice cues.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit app for Android, presumably iOS version can do the same. If you go to weekly exercise, then you can manually start and stop an activity.It will then use GPS to map your run etc and give stats on distance, time, splits etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW wrote:

yes, that all makes sense, it would be a nice feature to add though, I'd settle for a buzz from my charge2 every km as a halfway measure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnnyRow  When you use the "Track Exercise" function within the app, from the Dashboard  >  tap on the Track Exercise tile > Tap on the Stopwatch > Toggle the bar to Track > push the start button.  On that same page, you set the activity to Walk, Run or Hike.  Next line is to turn the voice cues on or off.  When you turn the voice cues on, there are a number of parameters for you to set.

@baitedbadger  The vibration cues are a great idea.  I found a similar suggestion in the Featured Suggestion forum Add the feature of running cues to the Charge 2   I just voted for it and it would like to see it for running and walking.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

@LZeeW wrote:

@JohnnyRow  When you use the "Track Exercise" function within the app, from the Dashboard  >  tap on the Track Exercise tile > Tap on the Stopwatch > Toggle the bar to Track > push the start button.  On that same page, you set the activity to Walk, Run or Hike.  Next line is to turn the voice cues on or off.  When you turn the voice cues on, there are a number of parameters for you to set.

@baitedbadger  The vibration cues are a great idea.  I found a similar suggestion in the Featured Suggestion forum Add the feature of running cues to the Charge 2   I just voted for it and it would like to see it for running and walking.

Thanks, I just voted on this too

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks LZee, I never saw that, or else I just forgot about it.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also forgot about being able to start an exercise from the app.  I have success tracking and mapping runs starting them on the wristband, but I'd like to have voice cues.  Do people have success in doing it both ways simultaneously, and then deleting the duplicate exercise that was started on the app? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I also forgot about being able to start an exercise from the app.  I have success tracking and mapping runs starting them on the wristband, but I'd like to have voice cues.  Do people have success in doing it both ways simultaneously, and then deleting the duplicate exercise that was started on the app? 

Yes, I have done this, it works just fine.

Best Answer

Which duplicate run should you delete? The one from my watch has a shorter (and incorrect distance) recorded but it shows the average bpm for the run. The run recorded from the app had a more accurate distance but didnt have the bpm tied to it. The one from the watch had some extra screens visible when scrolling through the details as well. I wish they would just sync and combine the data. But since they don't, is there a downside to deleting one over the other?

Best Answer
0 Votes