Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right or Left Hand

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

I'm right-handed, but always wearing my watch (fitbit or normal watch) in my left hand.

From heart-rate monitoring/medical perspective, should I wear my Fitbit Charge 2 in my right or left hand to get better heart-rate readings ?

Thanks

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Should makes no difference; for steps though just make sure you have set "wrist placement" and "handedness" to match.  However, from a theoretical viewpoint, I could see the dominant hand wrist giving slightly better heart rate monitoring by having more blood flow and less skin fat, but I have never seen any actual evidence or experiments to back that up so probably should take it with a grain of salt.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Should makes no difference; for steps though just make sure you have set "wrist placement" and "handedness" to match.  However, from a theoretical viewpoint, I could see the dominant hand wrist giving slightly better heart rate monitoring by having more blood flow and less skin fat, but I have never seen any actual evidence or experiments to back that up so probably should take it with a grain of salt.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

@Dawwas Thanks for joining us! I want to clarify that your tracker isn't a medical device but in general it shouldn't matter if you use your left or right arm to track your heart rate. Adding to @JohnnyRow point you could also argue that your left arm is nearer your heart so this could make a difference in the blood flow detected in that arm but I am not a doctor. What you can do is wear your tracker one week on your left arm and the other week on the right one and compare the results. I have personally worm mine on my left arm as it is more comfortable and have been able to compare it to the heart rate sensor on an elliptical machine and stationary bike and have notice they are the same so I don't think this will affect your hr reading.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnnyRow& @AlvaroFitbit: Many thank for your replies, i totally understand that Fitbit Charge 2 is not a medical equipment 🙂

Appreciated again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I've noticed my right hand (Iam right handed) to keep better , more accurate readings vs. My left. I have only had mine a couple weeks though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hiya, IV always worn my Fitbit versa on the left (I am right handed). Recently I swapped to my right hand and I noticed my rhr, steps and calories burned are wee bit higher.

Best Answer
0 Votes