Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same walk, different distances

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I use the tracking on the device while walking the same route it gives different distances (anywhere from .48 to .66 which is a large discrepancy). When tracking a walk with the app on my phone it is at the most .01 or .02 different.

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

In which of the 3 ways are you tracking your walk?

Letting the tracker auto detect?

Using the manual start with GPS and carrying the phone?

Using the manual start without GPS?

Personally i feel a galf mile test probably is not long enough, but make sure your not making to many turns if using GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I track using the manual mode on the tracker (auto detect is turned off) I get large differences in the distance walking the same route. If I track using the Track Your Exercise on the phone app the difference is minimal. I carry my phone with GPS enabled either way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK when tracking in manual mode, are you using the connected GPS, and get a map?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

OK when tracking in manual mode, are you using the connected GPS, and get a map?

yes. And the line is much more wiggly than when I track just using the phone app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find i get a wiggly line with connected GPS when any of the following occurs.

-To many other programs are running in tge backgraound.

-The tracker has a low battery 

-The phone has a low battery

- The phones memory has too many closed apps still in residence

- I havent restartef the phone in the last 5-7 days. Androids newd to be restarted at least once a week to release unused memory.

Im still looking for a hint as to which phone you have, since this is more than 50% of the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

I find i get a wiggly line with connected GPS when any of the following occurs.

-To many other programs are running in tge backgraound.

-The tracker has a low battery 

-The phone has a low battery

- The phones memory has too many closed apps still in residence

- I havent restartef the phone in the last 5-7 days. Androids newd to be restarted at least once a week to release unused memory.

Im still looking for a hint as to which phone you have, since this is more than 50% of the problem.

It's a Motorola Droid Turbo (Android). It is fully charged as is the Fitbit. No other apps running. Just did a restart yesterday and the map today was still all wiggly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you swipe the other programs out of memory?

Right now i have 2 programs running but 33 in memory which will affect the accuracy on my phone.

Best Answer

If your wiggly line is the same as mine - I think it shows where you actually walked, nobody walks in a dead straight line... If I expand out the map for my last walk I can see where I went off the track to take a photo and again later off the track to sit on a bench. Great stuff😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

@walcyclit wrote:

If your wiggly line is the same as mine - I think it shows where you actually walked, nobody walks in a dead straight line... If I expand out the map for my last walk I can see where I went off the track to take a photo and again later off the track to sit on a bench. Great stuff😉

Yes no one walks in a perfectly straight line but I find it hard to believe the GPS can detect a difference of a few inches. Also it shows that I crossed the street when I didn't.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well obviously your wiggly line isn't the same as mine 😉
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem! My line based on manual tracking off my wrist tracker show me walking literally in circles, sometimes in the middle of a street! Distances are more variable but also, generally, shorter. My assumption is that the GPS on the phone just works better. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your Charge 2 does use the phones GPS

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve got a Versa, not a charge 2 - does that use phone gps?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes the Versa uses the phones Bluetooth. Since your posting in the Charge 2 forum for Charge 2 problems I expected you where asking about a Charge 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes