Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spinning and Fitbit 2

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Can someone please tell me the best way to track spinning on the charge 2.
I started the exercise and it's calculated heart rate and calories but added as a walk.
I'm new to this. Help !!
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Soccer4Life_42 @Emma1112 There is actually a spinning workout shortcut that you can add to your Charge 2. You can find instructions on how to add exercise shortcuts by clicking here.

Let me know if you need any additional help!

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Steps

1. Click the side button of your Fitbit Charge 2 three times

a. the first time the screen should turn on showing you the time, date, and how many steps you have

b. the second time the screen should show your heart rate (bpm)

c. the third time, there should be a little run icon with the word "run" 

2. Tap the word run until you find a type of activity that you would like to use (maybe workout or eliptyical would be satisfactory for this action).

3. Then hold the side button until a timer starts. 

4. Once you finish your activity, hold the side button again until the timer stops. 

5. Read your workout summary.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Soccer4Life_42 @Emma1112 There is actually a spinning workout shortcut that you can add to your Charge 2. You can find instructions on how to add exercise shortcuts by clicking here.

Let me know if you need any additional help!

Best Answer
@Emma1112 you can use the spinni g activity setting but being a spin instructor, I've done some "tests." Setting the spinning activity yields less steps than choosing the workout activity. I tried to not choose an activity to see what the Charge 2 picked up as an activity and sadly it didn't pick up any activity for the hour I was spinning!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @DerrickS

Best Answer

Hi, In your opinion, is it worth it for me to upgrade to the charge 2? I currently have the charge HR and it doesnt track spinning at all. I just start the workout mode and it calculates everthing based on heartrate. I was thinking the Charge 2 would do a better job of tracking spin. Thoughts? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
@vanilla27 I wouldn't make the switch to the Charge 2 for the spinning activity mode as I am not impressed. If you want connected GPS and more activity modes with a larger screen as I did when I made the switch from the Charge to the Charge 2, then go for it! Like I said in an earlier post, I'm a spin instructor and I did some "tests." Setting the spinning activity yields less steps than choosing the workout activity. I tried to not choose an activity to see what the Charge 2 picked up as an activity and sadly it didn't pick up any activity for the hour I was spinning! Now I just spin and see what it picks up! Overall, wrist trackers don't do well picking up biking or spinning.
Best Answer

I would like to point out a few things to think aboit. 

The Charge 2 has a spinning mode, that helps fitbit determine calorie burn

While a person is doing a spinning class, they are not stepping, they are peddling. Why would steps be counted? 

Your Charge 2 is on the wrist, and therefore looking at wrist mivemwnts. How much does the wrist move when the hand is on a stationary grip? 

Best Answer

Thank you!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! Responding to your comment about the spinning function on charge... So when you're tracking your stats for spin class do you just keep your exercise on "workout?" Am wondering what is best as mine didn't pick up any activity either 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Fit_Steph are you referring to the Charge or the Charge 2.

The Charge 2 has the Spin feature, the Charge does not, and your only option is to use the workout mode.

I think this can be renamed later. Don't quote me on that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I have the fitbit 2 and although I understand with spinning steps can't be counted , why is the distance not appearing it always says 1km when It's shown up on spinning bike as 20 km or more ? ... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a new Fitbit Charge 2 and just took a spinning class. No steps were recorded, I understand that, but my Charge 2 does NOT have a "spinning" mode as some have indicated. Just "treadmill," "elliptical," "workout," etc. Totally confused here how to get proper "credit" for a 45 or 60 minute cycling class. Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I believe you have to go into the app itself and add spinning manually, then it will show on the tracker

Best Answer

@JohnTVirginia There is a spinning exercise shortcut for Charge 2. If it's not already added on your Charge 2, you can follow the instructions listed here to add it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, @DerrickS. It took me a little digging but I finally figured it out. Working well now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Derrick, I have the charge 2. I have spinning in my exercise list and it is also showing on my tracker. However when I do a spinning class it is not being auto recognised. It knows that I have done some exercise but is not picking it up as spinning. Any help would be appreciated as I have been trying to get this to work for days now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, it's been my experience with the Fitbit 2 that, although you may be recording exercise in "Spinning" mode, it certainly does not "count" toward your daily steps. Odd, I know. A trick that I have heard is to strap your Fitbit to your ankle to record the movement of your body during spinning (that's how it knows you are moving and if your arms don't move, it can't track the movement). I can't actually fit mine on my ankle, so I just record my estimated calories spent from spinning on MyFitnessPal, and just know that I exercised more that day than what the Fitbit records. Not great, but...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Vibe Lisa there is no auto recognize of spinning. The reason you want spinning on the exercise list is so that it may be manually started and stoped.

For your auto recognized exercises, tap on the exercise tile, then tap the settings gear found in the top right. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It tracks your spinning class data?

Best Answer
0 Votes