Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step counting not accurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

I bought my 1st fitbit charge2 a week ago. Before I purchased it, I asked my co-workers (which they own the charge hr & alta) how they like theirs and if they have any issues with it.  With their reviews, I decided to purchase one for myself. Well…my first use of the charge 2 was Saturday evening; the accuracy was I guess ok (since it was only for a few hours).  I wore it to bed to check out the sleep tracking feature and I guess I found it “eh”. I don’t think I’ll use it to sleep as often.  I do like the pulse monitor though. For the next few days, I was monitoring it and noticed that it was adding steps when I was getting dressed, combing my hair, hand movements (I talk with my hands). I work at a desk and do a lot of paperwork/order entry and noticed it was giving me steps for that as well 😕  It’s set to remind me to walk 250 steps an hour. But since it gives me steps while at my desk, sometimes it won’t remind me because it already tracked that I already did the steps or have only a few steps to go (e.i. 50 or 75).  I go up the stairs at work a few times a day and for some reason it tracked that I went up 12 times, which I actually went up 5 times. I reset it by charging it and pressing the side button. I even tried setting it to my dominant hand but wear it on my non-dominant and vice versa. I have a pedometer and I at times compare it to it, but of course I know it’s going to be off a few hundreds if anything. But not the charge 2, it’s off by almost 2,000 steps!  I can understand a few hundreds, but thousands? How am I going to know if I’m accomplishing my goal if it’s off by thousands? I’m even logging in the driving because it gives me steps (not much though) for that as well.  I guess when I turn the wheel, signaling, changing the station, etc. I bought this tracker because I sometimes forget to clip my pedometer on, misplaced it one time & thought it would be easier just to have a wrist one instead.  Also I wanted to see if I was getting a good amount of steps in a day, since I have to walk a lot do to a leg procedure I had done. And so it can remind me to move when I’m not moving do to my desk work.  Also, I joined a gym and wanted to track my progress and weigh loss. Maybe I bought a defective charge 2 or the firmware is not working on this one? Does the charge 2 or any tracker for that matter get to know the person who’s wearing it? Would it eventually become a bit more accurate within time? I know trackers are not 100% accurate. I'm thinking on returning this one & just sticking to my pocket pedometer.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

I wore the wrist fitbit on my stumming arm last night as I played guitar. It added 10,000 or so steps although I sat for 2 hours. No big deal. Just curious how it tracks steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you will find it responds to movement. 😂:guitar:

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a fitbit charge 2 as a present a few days ago.

I replaced the brake pads on one wheel of my car today. Between jacking the vehicle up, placing jack stands, taking the tire off, replacing the pads, putting the tire back on, taking out the jack stands, and lowering the vehicle I managed to get 2,000 steps. Most of that was probably from using a tire iron to get the lug nuts off, and the wrenches to get the pads and caliper loosened.

Twenty minutes ago I started getting really doubtful that the step count was accurate, so I waved my arm up and down for five seconds, and it added 26 steps. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the nudge Vern85... just what I needed.  Six months ago I packed up my Charge2 for return and there it sat.  Today, I called in to find out how to return and FitBit rep (although very pleasant and patient with me) offered to troubleshoot with me over the phone which meant I had to plug it in, recharge and sync.  Ugh.  Not what I was hoping for... and then.  As we were about to hang up for call back later, she found my original email / case no. and hooray!  I replacement fitbit is coming in the mail.  I elected to take a chance on the Charge2 again instead of 50% discount on Charge3 so I am a bit nervous, but... will let you all know how it goes.  Merry Christmas everyone, and keep moving!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you play a guitar and put the fit bit on your strumming hand, two hours of playing while sitting will add 10,000 steps to your day👏👏👏👏

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to admit I was also ready to return this glorified watch (ridiculous step count and exaggerated stair claims) until my sister told me to turn off the bottom 3 activities under the exercise section on my dashboard. They are automatically active when you signup. Go to dashboard. Top right icon, click on exercises and unhighlight elliptical, sports and aerobic exercise. Bingo!!! Steps are accurate and stairs remain minimal.  Obviously if you are doing aerobic you can re-select it. I spent days looking for the answer to this... no chat room could resolve it. I hope this helps a few more people!!!

Best Answer

I wear mine on my ankle when doing any step activities.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the Versa and it does the same thing. I enjoy walking on an incline on the treadmill, but I have to hold on to the top of the machine and my fitbit will not count my steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can wear it on your ankle. I use a rubber band to help hold it on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the EXACT same problem someone just posted.   I have a brand new Charge2  and it's easily off by 1500-2000 steps. WTH???

Best Answer
0 Votes

it really works! thanks a lot.

@Still-dubious wrote:

I have to admit I was also ready to return this glorified watch (ridiculous step count and exaggerated stair claims) until my sister told me to turn off the bottom 3 activities under the exercise section on my dashboard. They are automatically active when you signup. Go to dashboard. Top right icon, click on exercises and unhighlight elliptical, sports and aerobic exercise. Bingo!!! Steps are accurate and stairs remain minimal.  Obviously if you are doing aerobic you can re-select it. I spent days looking for the answer to this... no chat room could resolve it. I hope this helps a few more people!!!

Best Answer

True. This device way over estimates steps. I shake my arm while sitting and it registers steps.  All I have done today is walk to the kitchen make kids breakfast (lots of arm movements matter waffle batter) and I'm at 2K steps no way that's anywhere near 1.53 KM registered. I'm going back to just counting time - 1 hour fitness class and one hour walking per day. As a health professional a concern I have is how many people think they are getting way more exercise than they are any then maybe compensating for that by eating more or indulging a bit more often or thinking I've done enough exercise and they are not optimizing their fitness. Glad I won this at a fun run event and did not pay for it. I most certainly would be asking for a refund.  

Best Answer

Ditto here. Its become a paper weight!

Unfortunately I bought mine, wasn't paying close enough attention & didn't
realize the step count was SO off! Contacted FitBit & they had me go
through some steps, then admitted it was a few hundred steps off. Even
though I was at 1500 only after getting up, brushing my teeth & walking
down one flight of stairs. A total rip off! SO disappointing 😣

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto!  My FitBit has become nothing more than a paperweight!  Unfortunately I didn't realize mine was grossly off, because I wasn't paying close enough attention...

I contacted Fitbit and explained it was at 1500 steps after just getting out of bed, brushing my teeth and walking down one flight of stairs!
They had me go through some steps and then said it was only 500 to 600 steps off!  I reminded them about the 1500 & they then argued it was only 500-600 steps off.  I asked to speak with a supervisor who told me the same!  A total waste of money!  SO disappointing!!
Best Answer

I went to a Chicago concert the other evening wearing my Fitbit Versa. Every time I clapped it added hundreds of steps. I finally took it off and put it in my pocket so I could clap and enjoy myself. I must be insane, as Einstein defined it, doing the same thing over and over (in this case buying fitbit products) and expecting different results. Learn from my mistake(s), don't buy firbits.

Best Answer
I'm with you 100% Hard lesson learned! As I said further up, mine has
turned into a paperweight & not a very good one at that! Totally useless!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you do this on the device itself, the app or fitbit.com?

Best Answer
0 Votes

fitbit.com community

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20220101-164725_Fitbit.jpg

This is what I get, my charge 5 thinks I did 25k steps in 15mins for some reason.

Best Answer
0 Votes

5 years later, and you solved my problem with the Versa 4. I turned off all automatic detection for exercise, and now it's only counting steps and not counting air guitar.

Best Answer
0 Votes